Checking if battery is charging - 06 WR450

5 replies to this topic
  • Guirey

Posted June 08, 2006 - 07:45 PM

Rookie question:

How can I check to see if the battery is being charged when the bike is started?

I tried a search by got the following

Searching has been temporarily disabled.

This is an automatic feature that temporarily disables the search function during periods of high web site traffic. Searching will automatically turn back on when traffic returns to normal.

• creeky

Posted June 09, 2006 - 03:11 AM

Use a multimeter to measure the voltage at the battery with the engine running, should be around 13.8 volts.

• GCannon

Posted June 09, 2006 - 07:15 AM

Check the DC voltage at the battery with the engine off note voltage then start engine rev engine over 2000 RPM voltage should be higher around 13.8 this number is not an exact rule since it will be lower if your battery is in bad shape if it is low then you will need to find some way to measure the electrical current in amps. This will require some test equipment even a amp guage from the auto parts store will work.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Guirey

Posted June 09, 2006 - 08:20 AM

I will be trying it tonight, thanks for the help. I was able to do a search later on and found all kinds of good info. It might have something to do with the Baja Design kit.

but I'm still looking into that issue.

Thanks again

• MountainMax

Posted June 09, 2006 - 12:35 PM

Check the battery voltage before starting the bike up, should be hight twelves 12.x volts and then start it up and even idling should go up to 14.x volts when it's charging.

• dkwok

Posted June 09, 2006 - 12:58 PM

tink b4 startup 12.7volts at least,
after startup to 5000rpm, 14+volts
wif multimeter,
:applause:
oopps,
tis is for the ktm wif battery,
:D

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.