Another stupid question

9 replies to this topic
  • jfast426

Posted June 08, 2006 - 07:19 PM

I tried searching but need some help pretty quick. I am trying to set sag on my rear shock and not sure if I am going at this the right way. Do I first need to measure with bike on stand then with me on it or measure with bike sitting on the floor then with me on it or both. I am also having trouble getting any sag from my forks but I think that might be because my shock is too soft. Needs to be done by tommorow so any help would be app.
Thanks Jason

• rmz256

Posted June 08, 2006 - 07:39 PM

On the floor and then on the floor with you on it. Forks don't have sag. You have to move them up or down in the triple clamps depending on where you like them.

• BC3

Posted June 08, 2006 - 07:47 PM

On the rear....with the bike standing up with no one on it, push down on the rear fender
and let the bike spring up by itself....measure the distance from the ground to a place on
the rear fender area (side of fender) now gently lift the rear till the suspension tops out
(don't lift the bike off the ground) with the rear all the way extended measure the same points again.....Thats your sag.....I weigh 230 ( I know Im fat) I like something like 2in
of sag (there is a factory number) If when you sit on the motorcycle your using alot of the suspention you will need a heavier spring .....do the same with the front

Thats how I do it, Good Luck, BC

• BC3

Posted June 08, 2006 - 07:50 PM

On the floor and then on the floor with you on it. Forks don't have sag. You have to move them up or down in the triple clamps depending on where you like them.

Forks do have sag, or else they would be topped out all the time being way to stiff for slow bumps.....help this guy out don't give him the wrong answers
he will be confused then for sure....the factory manual is always a good choice for the RIGHT answers..

BC

• grayracer513

Posted June 08, 2006 - 08:11 PM

Setting the Sag :applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jfast426

Posted June 08, 2006 - 10:09 PM

Still wondering about the fork. I have the rear sag set up like grayracers post says to do with the race sag and the static sag but the fork still doesnt move when I sit on the bike. If you hold the front brake when you sit on it the fork will sag just a little bit.
Thanks

• stock510

Posted June 09, 2006 - 01:16 AM

REAR - END RULE OF THUMB

Static Sag:

With the bike sitting under its own weight, the rear end should sag around 25 - 35 mm from its full extension of travel.

Rider Sag:

When the fully kitted rider is suspended by the bike, the rear end should drop 100mm from the top of the exhaust to the rear axle. If you've adjusted the rider sag to 100mm and the static sag is 25mm or less, this indicates you've had to wind in too much preload and the spring is too soft. If it is 35mm or more, this indicates the spring may be a little too stiff.

• CampCounty4Fifty

Posted June 09, 2006 - 06:49 AM

this is good info. :applause:

• grayracer513

Posted June 09, 2006 - 08:20 AM

Rider Sag:

When the fully kitted rider is suspended by the bike, the rear end should drop 100mm from the top of the exhaust to the rear axle. If you've adjusted the rider sag to 100mm and the static sag is 25mm or less, this indicates you've had to wind in too much preload and the spring is too soft. If it is 35mm or more, this indicates the spring may be a little too stiff.

This refers to the procedure for Using Race Sag vs. Static Sag to Check Spring Rate

• grayracer513

Posted June 09, 2006 - 08:27 AM

Still wondering about the fork. I have the rear sag set up like grayracers post says to do with the race sag and the static sag but the fork still doesnt move when I sit on the bike. If you hold the front brake when you sit on it the fork will sag just a little bit.

That's pretty much the case. I haven't been able to dig up much in the way of a rule of thumb as to how much front end sag there should be, but it generally seems to be a bit less than the rear sag.

An important point is that when you check the sag measurements, your entire weight should be supported on the foot pegs so you get a consistent read on it. This, of course makes it about impossible to do single handed in the absence of some kind of self recording sag gauge.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.