How long can I expect to get out of my stock Clutch?

12 replies to this topic
  • MountainMax

Posted June 08, 2006 - 06:44 PM

I was wondering about the longevity of the stock clutch plates. I was doing some rough, tight, stumpy trail driving last night, about 2km of very slow 1'st gear driving while slipping the clutch a little and had to adjust up my clutch as it wore alot very fast. the bike is farily new, 550km only, is the clutch still breaking in or does it wear this fast??

Posted Image

• ddialogue

Posted June 08, 2006 - 07:56 PM

I've been running a Rekluse on my 03 WR450 since March 2003 and I'm still using the stock plates.

As long as you're not abusing it, you should get plenty of mileage out them. :applause:

• pkcof

Posted June 08, 2006 - 09:45 PM

i do a lot of that kind of riding ... the stock clutch is pretty good at taking abuse (to a point). As the plates heat up they expand a little and some adjustment is required but as long as you change your oil regularly and use good quality oil i'd be surprized if you had to change any plates real soon. I have 2,750klm on my '05 and most of that is tight woods/hills and rocks. My clutch feels nicely bedded-in and i expect to double that distance before i need to think about starting to replace anything there...
...hope that helps

• 427fastback

Posted June 08, 2006 - 10:29 PM

I got my 99 new and have been riding tight technical 1st and 2nd gear trails ever since.I have never re-adjusted my clutch or had any problems.I pulled the plates out once and checked them and put them back in.
I do change my oil every 5 rides and am by no means a clutch abuser.

I actually have had zero problems with this bike other than reg wear and tear and common problems such as the fraying throttle cables..

Cory

• MountainMax

Posted June 09, 2006 - 12:28 PM

thanks guys, I figured it would be reliable considering it is a Yamaha...... :applause:

I just got worried when she got hot and i needed to adjust on the trail

• Ibis

Posted June 09, 2006 - 02:55 PM

For a reason I don't have the answer to, in 05/06 the WR's clutch went from 9 fibers/8 metal plates to 8 fibers/7 metal plates. They kept the clutch pack height the same by using the same fibers but thicker metal plates. The YZ's remained the same with 9/8.

If anyone starts to have problems with their 05/06's, they might try the YZ clutch pack. Recently, I wore my fibers in my 06 below minimum specs after 2100 hard miles in Baja using an auto clutch. I'm replacing the pack with the 9/8 combo. I won't know if this is the fix until I get back down there and thrash it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MountainMax

Posted June 09, 2006 - 06:09 PM

Who knows why they always change this stuff........... Good info though, thanks

• RichBaker

Posted June 09, 2006 - 08:09 PM

I've got a 90 YZ250WRA, it has easily 7-8,000 miles on and it still has the original clutch plates...13 years of 100-125 mile rides@24mph avg...I don't abuse/fan my clutch!

• 5valve

Posted June 09, 2006 - 11:06 PM

Ive bee using clutch for 2,5 years, around 5.000 km's and it was used before me also.
I know of a case on 450, clutch is like new at 21.000 km's, on the other hand I know of a clutch gone bad after 5.000.
Riding style and oil type are main factors, so I totally not recommend the use of motul 300v competition.

• Gadsen

Posted June 10, 2006 - 07:18 AM

I have never worn out a motorcycle clutch in my life, and I have owned and ridden a whole bunch of bikes. It only wears on take off, unless you fan the clutch in turns, or slip it because your geared too high etc. I suspect it will never wear out.

• MountainMax

Posted June 10, 2006 - 09:48 AM

Well that's why I was wondering, I had to slip the clutch in some tight trail areas and noticed it felt like it was wearing as i had to adjust it up while riding ( love the quick adjuster ). I will not be doing this alot however.

• RichBaker

Posted June 11, 2006 - 12:19 PM

Well that's why I was wondering, I had to slip the clutch in some tight trail areas and noticed it felt like it was wearing as i had to adjust it up while riding ( love the quick adjuster ). I will not be doing this alot however.

Heat expansion, not wear....

• MountainMax

Posted June 11, 2006 - 01:42 PM

Kewl, I guess that is probabaly why they put a quick adjust there in the first place, after she cooled down i re-adjusted it back aain to where i had it, I was afraid it wore alot so fast....

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.