Steering Stabilizer

11 replies to this topic
  • glabudde

Posted June 08, 2006 - 06:40 PM

How do steering stabilizers work, are the effective, and what is the preferred make/model, and can they be installed by the average Joe? :applause: :D Thanks in Advance.

• frankstr

Posted June 09, 2006 - 05:09 AM

Check the Scotts Performance site...There very effective IMO, Won't ride without one again..And yes I believe the average Joe could install one....
I have the Scotts sub mount on my BRP, One of the best mods I've made... :applause:

• Falls A Lot

Posted June 09, 2006 - 12:11 PM

The Scotts may be the most advanced steering stabilizer in terms of dampening circuit sophistication. To compare apples to oranges, I had a GPR on my KTM and my impression was that it seemed to dampen steering movement throughout the entire range of steering lock, whereas the Scotts on my Pig seems to only dampen as the bar is turned away from straight. I do NOT struggle against the stabilizer in slow-going technical riding. Best advice I can give you is to find a Scotts-equipped bike sitting on a stand and play with the handlebar.

The gold color of the Scotts may not be coincidental however.

I think that if you can change your own oil, you can install a stabilizer.

• hill5150

Posted June 09, 2006 - 05:18 PM

scott's................... :applause:

• loufish

Posted June 10, 2006 - 02:35 PM

I run a Scotts on my XR, and won't ride with out it if possible!
I've never heard anybody complain after mounting one on their bike...
The Scotts has a high speed valving that really helps when hitting those hidden rocks that want to rip the bars out of your hands..

• Ude123

Posted July 02, 2006 - 12:09 AM

I just put a scotts on my 650L and won't ride without it again. it's awesome.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Supplicate

Posted July 02, 2006 - 07:23 AM

How do steering stabilizers work

The first thing you need to ask is "Do I need the damper to compensate for bad suspension?"

The second thing you need to ask is "Do I need it to save my ass from deflection off of rocks and roots at speed?"

If it is because of the first reason, no they don't work that great.

If it is the second reason, then they are awesome.

I suggest going through BRP for your damper and mount, high class people to deal with and a TT sponsor IIRC.

• InternalCombustion

Posted July 02, 2006 - 04:06 PM

I have the integrated GPR unit on my R, including an Applied Racing billet top triple clamp, an A/R tapered bar, GPR's risers and the GPR stabilizer itself.

My selection was based on two things:
- I wanted to be confident of high-speed (100+), no-wobbles control.
- I thought the integrated GPR looked sweet: PhotoPhoto[/URL]

Yeah, my second reason is a bit vain, I don't care, I love the look. :ride:
Maybe even my first reason is not important but I did a supermoto conversion and have had the bike WFO on a (almost) deserted interstate several times, 100+, and when I do a high-speed "test" :ride: I like the feeling of being able to crank in a few clicks on the stabilizer and know that the already-nice high-speed manners of the R will be even further civilized.

Scotts is better known and highly respected, but I have no experience with that model.

• Jon-D

Posted July 02, 2006 - 05:42 PM

On the customer service scale, GPR is well above the rest. The owner typically will show up at the D37 desert races and mount the stabilizer for you for free if you are out there. He will also change the oil in the stabilizer for free (less shipping). If I am not mistaken, he offers a real lifetime guarantee on his product and if it ever gives you any problems he will exchange it, no hassles. If service/support is important to you, call the manufactures (Scotts, GPR, ETC) and see how well they answer your questions and the support they offer on their product.

• captb

Posted July 02, 2006 - 07:44 PM

I have the integrated GPR unit on my R, including an Applied Racing billet top triple clamp, an A/R tapered bar, GPR's risers and the GPR stabilizer itself.

My selection was based on two things:
- I wanted to be confident of high-speed (100+), no-wobbles control.
- I thought the integrated GPR looked sweet: PhotoPhoto[/URL]

Yeah, my second reason is a bit vain, I don't care, I love the look. :ride:
Maybe even my first reason is not important but I did a supermoto conversion and have had the bike WFO on a (almost) deserted interstate several times, 100+, and when I do a high-speed "test" :ride: I like the feeling of being able to crank in a few clicks on the stabilizer and know that the already-nice high-speed manners of the R will be even further civilized.

Scotts is better known and highly respected, but I have no experience with that model.

It looks good :ride:

• motochris

Posted July 03, 2006 - 08:53 AM

I've always used Scotts dampers on my bikes. Tried a couple buddies bikes with the GPR's and just didn't care for them. THAT said, my XR650R has an RTT damper on it. Really only got it 'cause it was used at a great price. It works MUCH better than I expected. Very similiar to the Scotts, as far as function goes, with the plus of a thumb adjuster as well. So far, so good.

• XRandWRRider

Posted July 09, 2006 - 08:57 PM

:ride: for the Scotts. I have one with the BRP S.U.B. mount kit. In a word Awesome! I won't ride without one again.

(edited for spelling)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.