WR400 seized, what to look for...

28 replies to this topic
  • JJHayesIII

Posted January 26, 2007 - 09:47 AM

It was a long time coming, but she's back together, and now I know my WR a little better than I would've ever hoped...

ps. this thing is an animal...definitely did NOT run this good before I rebuilt it...

• GCannon

Posted January 26, 2007 - 10:26 AM

Please, Show us some pic's. Maybe you could share with us some things you would do different or things that went well now that the project is finished.
we just love specific details.

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted January 26, 2007 - 11:05 AM

The cracked slide thing isn't new with this generation carb. Happened twice to me. The second time, the motor locked up because the piece of carb slider jammed sticking straight up and the piston couldn't go through the entire range of motion. I replaced the carb with one off of an '04 WR450 and everything has been good since then. (Bike runs a lot better with the upgraded carb, too.) I would recommend getting a a new slider (or carb off of eBay) and put it back together again.

Edit: sorry, didn't see pages 2 and 3 of this thread until I posted.

• ferguscawley

Posted January 27, 2007 - 11:24 AM

It was a long time coming, but she's back together, and now I know my WR a little better than I would've ever hoped...

ps. this thing is an animal...definitely did NOT run this good before I rebuilt it...

Congratulations on your successful rebuild :ride:

Nothing quite beats the feeling of hearing it run after a full rebuild :ride:

Well done and enjoy the ride :ride:

Fergus

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JJHayesIII

Posted January 29, 2007 - 02:58 PM

Congratulations on your successful rebuild :ride:

Nothing quite beats the feeling of hearing it run after a full rebuild :ride:

Well done and enjoy the ride :ride:

Fergus

haha...thanks...needless to say, I was a bit surprised....

I'll try to get around to posting the rest of my pics and a quick narrative...Going through the pictures after the fact, I realized that I was lucky I didn't need to reference them, cuz I definitely did a half-assed job of taking them....

• TooFast

Posted January 30, 2007 - 12:34 PM

I've got a yz400 with a bad rod bearing - who's got the best price on 426 crank assembly, piston and cylinder? Got a WR gearset off ebay but haven't seen any cranks, cylinders etc lately

• JJHayesIII

Posted January 31, 2007 - 01:11 PM

I've got a yz400 with a bad rod bearing - who's got the best price on 426 crank assembly, piston and cylinder? Got a WR gearset off ebay but haven't seen any cranks, cylinders etc lately

I had GREAT luck with this guy:
Mike Barth
University Motors
1920 12 Ave. N
Fargo, ND 58102
701-235-6478
866-551-6478
FAX 701-235-6478

The Thumpertalk OEM store also has great prices...between the two of those, you won't find better pricing/service.

• JJHayesIII

Posted February 07, 2007 - 12:41 PM

Here's some more pics from my tear down...really nothing revolutionary in here...you can see a few places where it looks like the oil really broke down into an orange/brown goo....I'll eventually get to a write up...

http://www.jjhayes.net/g1/WR400

• bluesbiker

Posted February 27, 2012 - 02:13 PM

dead water pump ??????? how can this be checked pls

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.