air filter?

22 replies to this topic
  • xcape

Posted June 08, 2006 - 06:27 AM

What do you use to oil your stock air filter? I was told buy a mechanic to use normal engine oil? He said to put it in a bag soak it then squeeze the oil out.

• barch88

Posted June 08, 2006 - 06:34 AM

Well, when I clean the filter I clean it with gas, and a bit of oil mixed, clean it all off, then squeeze the excess out, let it dry, spray some filter spray on it, and thats it.

Your way will be fine too, as long as theres something on it to pick up dirt and dust, just make sure its not wet, and pretty squeezed out. Save the excess oil to reuse on next change too.

• gjones

Posted June 08, 2006 - 06:46 AM

Regular engine oil is not good. If you use this look at the bottom of your airbox on a hot day I bet you see oil oozing from it. this is because the regular engine oil does not tack up like filter oils do. You will not get the protection you think you are getting using this. Use an oil that is designed for foam filters, like a spray on or Bel-Ray in the bottle. After a few minutes these oils will tack up and become almost sticky. That is what you want. :applause:

• 642MX

Posted June 08, 2006 - 06:56 AM

I use Maxima FFT.

• grayracer513

Posted June 08, 2006 - 07:12 AM

I use Maxima FFT.

Me too.

Ordinary engine oils will neither stay put well enough nor hold dirt well enough, and they should never be used.

Purpose-blended air filter oils such as FFT are extremely tenacious and will stay in place and hold more dirt longer.

Remember that the foam itself is not capable of filtering much of anything out of the air; the passageways through the foam are much too large, which is why they flow air so well. Foam elements depend on their being thoroughly coated, through and through, with oil so that when air chases through the twisting airways in the foam, the dirt will be caught on the gummy surfaces of the filter's interior.

Get a box of Nitrile mechanic's gloves at an auto parts store. Clean and dry the filter element and drizzle some FFT over it. Work it thoroughly into the filter by squeezing and rubbing it in your hands until you are satisfied that the filter is 100% oily inside and out. If you use a spray oil like Maxima FAB-1, you still have to work it into the filter. Just shooting it onto the outside won't do. You can install it, but don't run the bike for at least 8-12 hours to allow the oil to tack up. When installing, smear a fair amount of FFT onto the base seal, or use a waterproof grease.

• barch88

Posted June 08, 2006 - 07:27 AM

I spray the Bel-Ray stuff, and I got some Spektrum spray for air-filters too, I just spray, inside and out, cover it so nothing is not blue or red (depending on which spray Im using), let it sit overnight, then ride!

• grayracer513

Posted June 08, 2006 - 07:44 AM

I spray the Bel-Ray stuff, and I got some Spektrum spray for air-filters too, I just spray, inside and out, cover it so nothing is not blue or red (depending on which spray Im using), let it sit overnight, then ride!

Once again, simply coating the outside of the filter with a spray oil is woefully inadequate. By doing this, you are basically not using up to 80% of the filter's actual filtering surface, which is the foam between the the two coated sides. The oil MUST be worked into the element to be completely effective.

The thin layer of oil that sits on the outside gets covered with dirt very quickly, after which new dirt finds no oil to stick to, and moves deeper into the element. If there is no oil there to catch it, guess where it goes next. If you think that your favorite spray will soak in on its own, you are mistaken. You can insist on doing it that way if you like, but it's your engine, not mine.

• xcape

Posted June 08, 2006 - 08:19 AM

I will buy some spray today. I always used k&n filters on my bikes before. So now I know......

• jamieyz426f01

Posted June 08, 2006 - 08:54 AM

i use no-toil, good stuff and its...er good for the enviroment :applause:

• 116CJ

Posted June 08, 2006 - 11:15 AM

i use no toil

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • feti

Posted June 08, 2006 - 12:19 PM

no toil here as well

• chrisn6104

Posted June 08, 2006 - 12:52 PM

Another for No-Toil.

• dirtysanchez84

Posted June 08, 2006 - 06:34 PM

Bel-Ray is the sh*t!!! That's what I use

• 02YZ426

Posted June 08, 2006 - 06:58 PM

I just switched to No Toil.. They are easy to prep and fit the filter element tight.

• BC3

Posted June 08, 2006 - 07:17 PM

Well, when I clean the filter I clean it with gas, and a bit of oil mixed, clean it all off, then squeeze the excess out, let it dry, spray some filter spray on it, and thats it.

Your way will be fine too, as long as theres something on it to pick up dirt and dust, just make sure its not wet, and pretty squeezed out. Save the excess oil to reuse on next change too.

I think you will find hot soapy water will work much better (and be a whole lot better for your hands) Give it a try (dish washing liquid) see if Im right....
as far as filter oil...that guy that told you about regular enging oil must be an old timer (we all used to use that stuff) there are much better FILTER OILS made just for that job. They will cost more but hey, if it makes that VERY EXPENSIVE
piston and rings last longer (and horse power) I think you would want whats best for your engine? Your choice....We use Twin Air oil on all our racers
and their filters to.

Good luck Bro, BC

Posted Image

• jamiehughes

Posted June 08, 2006 - 08:04 PM

i like the blue bel ray stuff as with the color it's real easy to see if you missed a spot, i also bought the seal for the filter made by pc racing that once stuck on the sealing surface of the air box makes it so you dont have to put grease on the flange surface of the filter which saves a bunch of mess. i've put the pc brand seals on all my bikes since 97 and have never had a single problem with dirt getting by ever... just my 2 cents worth..

• mxrayser

Posted June 08, 2006 - 08:11 PM

me three

• David37

Posted June 08, 2006 - 08:34 PM

You need to find another mechanic who knows how to properly oil an air filter (not with engine oil). I use NoToil biodegradable air filter oil, you clean your filter with soap and water or you can throw it in the washer.

• xcape

Posted June 09, 2006 - 05:50 AM

You need to find another mechanic who knows how to properly oil an air filter (not with engine oil). I use NoToil biodegradable air filter oil, you clean your filter with soap and water or you can throw it in the washer.

Don't have a mechanic....do my own work, I just asked the mechanic in the shop. I appreciate all the advice. I have always had a bike and do my own work but have to learn alot about these new 4 strokes.

• barch88

Posted June 09, 2006 - 06:19 AM

Once again, simply coating the outside of the filter with a spray oil is woefully inadequate. By doing this, you are basically not using up to 80% of the filter's actual filtering surface, which is the foam between the the two coated sides. The oil MUST be worked into the element to be completely effective.

The thin layer of oil that sits on the outside gets covered with dirt very quickly, after which new dirt finds no oil to stick to, and moves deeper into the element. If there is no oil there to catch it, guess where it goes next. If you think that your favorite spray will soak in on its own, you are mistaken. You can insist on doing it that way if you like, but it's your engine, not mine.

So should I spray, squeeze, spray, squeeze, so it made its way through the filter, in and out?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.