Anyone build their own t-hauler?

11 replies to this topic
  • johnnyjeep

Posted 08 June 2006 - 03:11 AM

Ive been thinking of starting a little project and build my own toy hauler. Ive found plans for travel trailers, but not for toy haulers. Does anyone know where I can go to get good plans for one of these? I think I can build one just as good, if not better, than a manufactured one for a whole lot less bank, but Id rather start with a good plan as opposed to trying to convert a travel trailer plan.

Any thoughts?

John in Vegas

• karterron

Posted 08 June 2006 - 05:56 AM

I've thought about the same thing and am interested in what you found.

Some of my concerns and tell me if you found a different way.

Trailer - cargo trailers are much heavier than travel trailers. Could go the all aluminum route but then you double or triple the cost of the trailer.

Cabinetry and inside, where do you buy and what grade. Around here you can buy replacements at RV superstores. Advantage is you can put in exactly what you want.

Overall, when I spec out what I want and go aluminum ( I need the weight savings since I have to tow with a 1/2 ton GMC extended cab pickup) the cost ends up being about the same. However, I would be able to set it up exactly the way I want.

Have you found a way to cut the cost or weight on the trailer?

• Way Fast Whitey

Posted 08 June 2006 - 06:35 AM

the only reason i don't want a enclosed trailer is becuase of weight.

BUT i was thinking maybe i could get some sort of rag top cover????

• redhurricane

Posted 08 June 2006 - 07:02 AM

the only reason i don't want a enclosed trailer is becuase of weight.

BUT i was thinking maybe i could get some sort of rag top cover????

If you're going to design some kind of "ragtop convertible" trailer, go look at www.tuk-it.com and maybe that will help with design. The guy makes retractable camper shells, I don't see why you could not make a sliding bow system for trailer rails as well.

It would not have insulation and wind protection like hard walls, but it would be a theft deterrent (out of sight out of mind).

• johnnyjeep

Posted 08 June 2006 - 02:51 PM

I havent really looked too seriously into it. I kind of checked into the travel trailer and it can be done cheaper and done the way I would want it, but as far as a toy hauler is concerned, I have been casusally searching for plans on the net and cant even find some to buy yet.

John in Vegas

• redhurricane

Posted 08 June 2006 - 03:45 PM

I havent really looked too seriously into it. I kind of checked into the travel trailer and it can be done cheaper and done the way I would want it, but as far as a toy hauler is concerned, I have been casusally searching for plans on the net and cant even find some to buy yet.

John in Vegas

Beware of plans to mod a TT into a toy hauler. Most Travel trailers lack the framing and support for big doors. We converted my travel trailer into sort of a toy hauler, just for the kids bikes which I can lift into the stock side door. We installed a folding dinette and rubber diamond plate flooring in the front, with E-track on the sides to tie down with. I'll email pictures if you give me an email address to send them to. Bought the dinette direct from Weekend Warrior. The girlfriend did the sewing on the valances, and a friend helped build the hinge mount for the dinette as the walls of travel trailers have just about NO structural integrity to them whatsoever.

• RedRider250X

Posted 08 June 2006 - 09:18 PM

It can be done. I went riding with a family who made their own. I didn't look at it very carefully, but it was maybe a 12' trailer, that had a sink, cabinets, a shower and toilet, and folding beds. I believe they designed everything themselves, and it worked very well for them. All the parts they used, were actual RV parts from junkyards or stock parts.

• mcfast

Posted 09 June 2006 - 07:01 AM

A friend of mine is getting ready to do this. After months of discussion, he has decided to purchase a enclosed trailer without an interior with the exception of a floor. Take a popup trailer and remove the sink stove ect and use it in the enclosed trailer. There is a HUGE rv slavage yard not far from here with some good deals on stuff too.

In the end you get a good metal structured trailer configured how YOU want it. Going to be an exciting project! :applause:

• JohnB

Posted 12 June 2006 - 07:31 AM

There are some pretty good ideas in this thread that was discussed last month. Maybe it will help.... :applause:

http://www.thumperta...2&parentpage=12

• dmp437

Posted 12 June 2006 - 07:47 AM

I have a 22' cargo trailer that was converted into a "Toyhauler" in 1992, back before they became the rage. The front 12' is the living quarters, the rear 10' is the cargo area. We sleep six in it, stashing people anywhere they'll fit.

• Flyin-A

Posted 14 June 2006 - 06:25 AM

I built a box van into a toy hauler.The back 8' is the garage and front is the rv part.It works very well.We have driven it from Dallas to Florida twice,Colorado and New Mexico 4 times.It turned out very nice.Fuel is the only draw back.It is shaped like a box of Kleenex so mpg is 8-9 .I'll try to post photos later. :excuseme:

• shelbycoolguy

Posted 14 June 2006 - 02:15 PM

I built my own, starting with a car hauler. I Built it in 2004 and has been very comfortable. Now I'm downsizing so I have it for sale. (see the post in this section) If you would like to see pictures follow the link.
http://cgi.ebay.com/...1QQcmdZViewItem

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.