One more reason to hate quads.

25 replies to this topic
  • tony1970

Posted June 07, 2006 - 08:47 PM

Yesterday a friend of mine dropped by to show me his new YFZ 450 quad. He bought this thing about 3 months ago and I have to bite my tongue every time he brings his new ride up. I can't stand them and most of the people who ride those things, but he is a good kid and he is excited about going into debt to buy it so I keep my mouth shut. Now this thing has basically the same engine as my WR aside from some cam specs from what I am told. What shocked me and pissed me off at the same time is this thing HAD NO A.I.S. PUMP! :D There it was plain as day, the cast areas in the head that Yamaha would have drilled holes to install that annoying piece of junk they call a smog pump. Now this quad has a green sticker, is C.A.R.B. and EPA legal. How the hell does that happen? Can my WR spew out more crap than an overweight clumsy quad that has to work harder to achieve the same speed? I don't think so! I would also guess that this thing did not come with a throttle stop, a grey wire, a pea shooter in the muffler, or jetted lean as sh%t. Does anyone have an idea why this B.S. is applied to my bike and not this quad thing? Does the government feel bad for quad riders, thus feeling they need to be treated "special". From what I am told quads out sell bikes year after year, so their status as a minority cannot be taken into account. Is it that they weigh so much? Man I hate quads and this just pisses me off more! :applause:

• dbailey223

Posted June 07, 2006 - 09:46 PM

Is it because it's a YFZ? (like how the YZ is different than the WRs)?

• rfdonnelly

Posted June 07, 2006 - 10:05 PM

Now that is shitty. Especially since my '03 YZ250F is red sticker while that thing is getting away green. The '05 WRs are also red sticker no? The whole red sticker green sticker thing pisses me off more and more. There seems to be no rhyme or reason why bikes get one or the other. I wouldn't feel guilty sneaking my bike into OHV areas during non-red sticker season. Granted I have a spark arrestor and under 96db of course!

• Matty05

Posted June 07, 2006 - 11:07 PM

Maybe if you had country wide laws, not state by state there would be some consistancy?

• ARin

Posted June 07, 2006 - 11:50 PM

the yfz is considered a "racing" quad, so the EPA stuff mean for trail machines doesnt apply.

• rfdonnelly

Posted June 08, 2006 - 12:18 AM

the yfz is considered a "racing" quad, so the EPA stuff mean for trail machines doesnt apply.

That doesn't explain why it gets a green sticker though. The "race" bikes are red sticker so why not the "race" quad?

• Deus ex Machina

Posted June 08, 2006 - 05:03 AM

Maybe if you had country wide laws, not state by state there would be some consistancy?

Fortunately it doesn't work that way.

• Frank_z28

Posted June 08, 2006 - 08:09 AM

Here in my area of Quebec we hate quad because their association that took almost all the popular trail between the city and the the attraction and they all call them "quad ONLY trail".The bad thing is that most of those trail was their before the quad decide to pick them and now we cant ride between spot because its "quad trail". We cant even buy the membership card for the trail because our bike break the trail. This summer they claim that they are going to patrol and do some repression against people in the trail without card.

I wish i wont need to run from them but those :applause: wont get me :prof:

p.s. dont flame my english its not my first language :D

• BeachBoy

Posted June 08, 2006 - 08:45 AM

hey un autre québécois:) je retourne au quebec avec mon WR cet été..

rfdonnelly: '05 are green sticker, just the '03 and '04 are red in Cali.

• CAVSCOUT96

Posted June 08, 2006 - 09:16 AM

Fortunately it doesn't work that way.

AMEN to THAT!!!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 25year2stroker

Posted June 08, 2006 - 09:21 AM

:applause: :D :prof: :prof:

• Enduro Addict

Posted June 08, 2006 - 11:20 AM

hey un autre québécois:) je retourne au quebec avec mon WR cet été..

rfdonnelly: '05 are green sticker, just the '03 and '04 are red in Cali.

05 WR250F is red stickered in California, but the 05 WR450F is green stickered.

The 06's are both green stickered.

• TWILES

Posted June 08, 2006 - 01:13 PM

I don't hate them I just think they are a joke. The companies use the Pro racers they pay for advertisment and the idiots that buy the bike's really believe they are getting the same thing the Pro's ride. Example: Joe Byrd's 05 TRX450R dynoed 62 hp with god knows what done to it. STOCK the TRX450R has 33 hp. With $10,000 AND the bike bought you can have that too. I won't stop bitching until they get the quad motors up to par with the bike motors and I'll rejoin them. Sorry it sucks so bad to live in California but if you knew how much money these guys put into these 450 quads to make them halfway comparable to a 450 bike you'd laugh.

• tony1970

Posted June 08, 2006 - 03:26 PM

The DMV here must have screwed up and given him a green sticker. Not the first time or the last. Better for him. I should not of used the word hate on describing my feelings for quads. Being a deer hunter and a single track rider I see a lot of things that people do on quads that just piss me off. There are things that moto riders do that piss me off just as much, so I guess its a wash. Once I saw that green sticker and no AIS I just about blew a gasket, but if it is designated a competition quad I guess all is well. BTW the moderators sure are on top of things here. :applause:

• byggd

Posted June 08, 2006 - 03:33 PM

Calm down. Just remember he can NEVER plate that thing :applause:

• CharlesFP

Posted June 08, 2006 - 11:18 PM

UGGGHHH! California doesn't make any sense!!!! Don't get me started!! I can't plate my clean burning, efficient WR, and the person who wrote that policy gets to drive a gas guzzling SUV all over the place. NONSENSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It doesn't surprise me that CARB is ATV friendly, because they are all really just motorcycle hating bigots!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I AM BEGINNING TO HATE THIS STATE!!! I don't smoke cigarettes, by it enrages me when I think about the fact that it is illegal to smoke cigarettes on the beach in Santa Monica, and, get this, anywhere outdoors in Calabasas!!!!!!!!!!! Outdoors!!!!!!!!! &%$#@!!!!!
And that law was written and voted for by rich a-holes with BMW SUVs!!!!!!! ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
California must be the least free state in the USA.

• Matty05

Posted June 09, 2006 - 02:58 AM

:D :prof: :prof: :bonk:

Don't be like that.......

Our laws over here are country wide. No "California" over here! :applause:

• Old_Yeller

Posted June 09, 2006 - 04:56 AM

I was riding in Eastern Oregon last weekend and I see a young, slightly vertically challenged girl riding her retard chariot with no helmet or safety gear of anykind. She had her newborn infant on the back with a bicycle helmet on. I guess she figured the helmet would save the kid if the Quad rolls over on it! Ever seen one of those Bobblehead dolls? :applause:

• odonnks

Posted June 09, 2006 - 06:32 AM

I don't hate them I just think they are a joke. The companies use the Pro racers they pay for advertisment and the idiots that buy the bike's really believe they are getting the same thing the Pro's ride. Example: Joe Byrd's 05 TRX450R dynoed 62 hp with god knows what done to it. STOCK the TRX450R has 33 hp. With $10,000 AND the bike bought you can have that too. I won't stop bitching until they get the quad motors up to par with the bike motors and I'll rejoin them. Sorry it sucks so bad to live in California but if you knew how much money these guys put into these 450 quads to make them halfway comparable to a 450 bike you'd laugh.

Calm down Chief.
(in bold) That's no different than most folks who buy road or off road bikes.

Just like bikes, quad, snowmobiles, horse riders, boarders etc... Uneducated buyers do the same thing.
What about the NASCAR idiots who buy a Monte Carlo because some hick with stickers all over his won a race on Sunday.
The old motorsport slogan from the 70's was 'Win on Sunday... Sell on Monday..."
For sure with all of these sports, it the rider fails to mind his safety, they'll pay the price.

• Frank_z28

Posted June 09, 2006 - 08:07 AM

What about the NASCAR idiots who buy a Monte Carlo because some hick with stickers all over his won a race on Sunday.
The old motorsport slogan from the 70's was 'Win on Sunday... Sell on Monday..."

Quote For Truth

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.