Dr. D Exaust on 06' 450 Anyone?

17 replies to this topic
  • Thumparoobonzai

Posted June 07, 2006 - 06:53 PM

Anyone running a Dr. D on there 06' YZ450F's. If so, how is it? :applause:

• YZ117

Posted June 07, 2006 - 07:08 PM

I've got the new Carbon Fiber and like it alot. Very nice looking. Smoothed out the power delivery and really pulls hard if you can hang on in upper R's. Fit is better than stock!

• yamahacrazy_310

Posted June 07, 2006 - 08:02 PM

Friend has it on his 06....And I asked him Why he didn't get like a White bros or an FMF....and he said the Dr.D. gave the 06 450 more power then any other pipe.

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted June 07, 2006 - 08:28 PM

I had a Dr.D on my 06, it was awesome. I sold it to my brother when he got his so I could put a carbon pipe on mine. The Dr.D is definatley all is advertised to be. And a good price too.

• Ga426owner

Posted June 08, 2006 - 05:22 AM

Friend has it on his 06....And I asked him Why he didn't get like a White bros or an FMF....and he said the Dr.D. gave the 06 450 more power then any other pipe.

I wonder were your friend got his info from? :applause:

• MUSTANGCOBRA1353

Posted June 08, 2006 - 05:51 AM

I put it on because he works so close with Yamaha (R&D). After install the bike rips. Glad I did, beacuse it does smooth out the overall power & seems to have more grunt.

• grayracer513

Posted June 08, 2006 - 08:56 AM

Well, he tried them all on his bike, of course, and ran dyno tests, too. That, or he read it in an ad.

• Ga426owner

Posted June 08, 2006 - 09:38 AM

Well, he tried them all on his bike, of course, and ran dyno tests, too. That, or he read it in an ad.

GreyRacer my point exactly......too many riders come on here and other forums making these kind of statements....a newby/semi-newby would take it to be completely true. I want it validated I guess... :D
I would like to see a exhaust pipe test on the 06 YZF with every major player - to date I have not seen this.... :applause:

• grayracer513

Posted June 08, 2006 - 11:01 AM

Uh, huh. :applause: If you study this thread, we have one who says, "really pulls hard if you can hang on in upper R's.", and another who says, "seems to have more grunt." These two are frequently mutually exclusive (although the FMF complete systems did raise the numbers virtually everywhere along the chart on the '03/'04 models). If it's a really good pipe, it could be true, but I want to see the opinion of a cold, heartless machine, not that of someone who hasn't gotten over the rush yet. :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MUSTANGCOBRA1353

Posted June 08, 2006 - 01:40 PM

Well hope this helps. In the 1980's I was a expert rider, and now getting back into the sport for fun. I race the vet class and play ride with friends at local tracks. Between my motocross days I drag raced cars (street and track). I am very in tune with horsepower. The way I like to ride is more short shifting, so low end grunt and middle are all I care about. I have not even bounced off the rev limiter more than twice. I can say the bottom to middle felt stronger than with the factory pipe, but I can not tell you about the very high rpm's (and never will most likley). I am glad i did install it. I talked to my Yamaha dealer and the other pipe the like is the Leo something. One of the factors that made me go with this pipe is that it is not very noisey. The White brother stuff I used in the past was to noisey. Hope that helps clears up my take on it. Hope this helps

• grayracer513

Posted June 08, 2006 - 02:26 PM

The way I like to ride is more short shifting, so low end grunt and middle are all I care about. ... I can say the bottom to middle felt stronger than with the factory pipe, but I can not tell you about the very high rpm's (and never will most likley). ... Hope that helps clears up my take on it.

That sort of evaluation is useful, and can be taken in context. I've offered similar impressions of stuff I've ridden many times. It's subjective, of course, but compared to:

the Dr.D. gave the 06 450 more power then any other pipe.

...well, you can see the difference. :applause:

The White brother stuff I used in the past was to noisey.

Uh, me too!!

• DPW

Posted June 08, 2006 - 03:43 PM

smoothed out the power delivery...huh???

The '06 YZ450F has got to have the smoothest powerband already.

• Chills

Posted June 08, 2006 - 04:02 PM

Guys,

I have to chime in here, with all that money being spent on FMF, WB, Yosh, has anyone considered MRD or DMC? The DMC Afterburner pipe gives an outrageous amount of bottme end torque. But Dave at MRD will build and tune a pipe for whatever you want. He even fixes the pipes if you mash it up. I bought a DMC and a MRD, and I have to say, with his Standard Tune on the MRD, the mid-top is riding by the seat of your pants. I am also working with Dave at MRD to get me a tuning cap for the lower end, and if its not enough, he will make me a new header. The guy is amazing, you wont find better customer service, nor will you find someone who wants to hear your feedback. He looks at producing a 100% satisfaction with his customers, and for 1/2 the price of all the others out there, you cant even come close to what Dave offers with his MRD pipes.. Just food for thought!!

• kid on a 426

Posted June 09, 2006 - 12:58 PM

Well he probably didn't but MXA tested the Dr.d system on a crf250 and many other systems and they said that the feel of the dr.d felt WAY better than any other pipe and the dyno was a bit better too than almost all the other pipes. So what he was saying may be far fetched but it could be true

• Thumparoobonzai

Posted June 09, 2006 - 04:01 PM

I had one on my '03 and it improved the area in the power band that I most often ride while motocrossing. That would be the low-mid thru high-mid area of the power band. If I didn't know any better I would say it helped everywhere. But that conclusion comes from riding in that particular area of the power band. If the '06 does the same then thats the one for me. Just my 2 cents worth. :applause:

• yamahacrazy_310

Posted June 09, 2006 - 04:05 PM

Thats just what he said.....I can care less about Dr.D. I'm and FMF kinda guy.

• grayracer513

Posted June 09, 2006 - 05:44 PM

MXA tested the Dr.d system on a crf250

Which tells us nothing about the tuning philosophy that may have been applied to an entirely different engine with different strengths and shortcomings.

Dr.D makes good stuff, and it always seems reasonably priced. Doesn't matter. My second post covered my original objection already.

• Ga426owner

Posted June 10, 2006 - 04:29 AM

I am sure the DRD is better than stock - I had one on a 426 once - it was ok.
But all this speculation and all you expert tuners/racers there still is no validated pipe test for the 06....so buy at your own will......

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.