Allowable play in lower shock bushing "L"

7 replies to this topic
  • ghoti

Posted June 07, 2006 - 09:18 AM

I can't find this anywhere, does anyone know?

• ghoti

Posted June 08, 2006 - 04:59 AM

Dumb question?? Nobody knows??? Nobody cares???

• Jon-D

Posted June 08, 2006 - 06:43 AM

I would think no play. One of my shock bearings went out recently during a ride and by the time the ride was done I had to replace other bearings/parts because the loose bearing allowed the shock to slam back and forth every time I hit something. Also check your swing arm bearings as well for play while you are there.

• cleonard

Posted June 08, 2006 - 06:53 AM

The Honda book for my XR600 just says, check for wear and replace is worn. No number. I am still running mine as it was. It had a fraction of a mm of play. About the only test I know is to put the bike on a stand and lift the rear wheel up and down to check for suspension play. Mine has about 1/4 inch of movement. I have no idea what too much play is.

Use the real moly paste on the spherical bearing. It's only a few $ at the Honda dealer. The Honda dealer is the only place I know to get it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ghoti

Posted June 08, 2006 - 06:59 AM

The Honda book for my XR600 just says, check for wear and replace is worn. No number. I am still running mine as it was. It had a fraction of a mm of play. About the only test I know is to put the bike on a stand and lift the rear wheel up and down to check for suspension play. Mine has about 1/4 inch of movement. I have no idea what too much play is.

Use the real moly paste on the spherical bearing. It's only a few $ at the Honda dealer. The Honda dealer is the only place I know to get it.

That's what my book says too, and I don't think I have quite that much much movement.

• bigtooth

Posted June 08, 2006 - 09:10 AM

I have a '91 xr600r, and I have noticed the same problem in my rear shock bushing. I wouldnt say its quite a 1/4 inch but with the any play I cant imagine it will be long before it is. Any advice as to where to get new bushings?

• cleonard

Posted June 08, 2006 - 10:51 AM

I have a '91 xr600r, and I have noticed the same problem in my rear shock bushing. I wouldnt say its quite a 1/4 inch but with the any play I cant imagine it will be long before it is. Any advice as to where to get new bushings?

For the 600, I'd say Honda. The pivot works kit also has one as part of it. About the same price either way if you go with Service Honda. With Honda you don't have to buy a whole kit, just the part you need. For the 650L this is a bit more of an issue. Don't know it it is the same part as the 600, but Honda does not list the part as replaceable. There was another thread about this in this forum about a month or two ago. If I remember correctly it was stated that the current Pivot works kit did not have that bearing, but they were planning on adding it. Look for that thread, and contact Pivot works.

• evomx971

Posted June 08, 2006 - 01:35 PM

That was probably my thread. My '94 XR650L with 2,800 miles had play in both the upper and lower shock bearings. Nothing close to a 1/4 of an inch at the wheel, but based on the mx bikes I've owned I considered any play to be too much. I could here this chattering sound like a badly worn chain/sprocket when I'd push the bike across the garage. Turned out it was the upper shock bearing chattering from no weight on the seat and the roughness of the knobbies going across the pavement.

You can't get the upper bearing from Honda. Pivot Works should include both bearings in their kits now. I got mine from a mail order house and must have gotten some old stock because it wasn't in there. The guy at Pivot Works was great and sent me the missing bearing. If you order directly from Pivot Works, there shouldn't be an issue.

The Moose kit I think only has the lower bearing.

I'm in the process of putting them in, however, just based on handling the bearings, there's still a small amount of play in them so I don't think I'll be surprised if I get it all back together and it still has the slightest bit, even with the brand new parts. They're tighter than what I took out, but can feel the slightest play by hand.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.