wr450f at highway speeds

25 replies to this topic
  • 06WR450FSM

Posted June 08, 2006 - 10:35 AM

300wby: I ride my 450 from Lakewood to Boulder (32mi ea way) a couple times per week. That includes 75mph on 6th ave and on on uphill stretches of hwy93. If you are familiar 93, you know that crosswinds are common.

Highway stability with street tires is fine (I use 17" Maxxis supermoto's with 15/42 gearing). No, I wouldn't suggest trying to go 100mph... Tire choice and gearing are important. 15/50 with stock wheels would be fine for steady speeds up to 65mph, but buzzy at higher speeds, which might not be smart with plain dual-sport tires.

My previous bike was 750 Interceptor. Yah, it was smoother, but nowhere as cool. The WR is much more fun in the corners, actually. I find little difference in wind effect up to 75.

Maximize your riding, maximize your fun!

• Matt B

Posted June 08, 2006 - 12:41 PM

maybe my digi speedo was off but my 06 wr450 hit 96 on the dry lake bed and felt pretty stable for being stock, except the free mods. gotta love being on the fastest stock bike out there killing everyone :applause:

• MSHAM

Posted June 08, 2006 - 01:07 PM

Look into Baja designs dual sport Kits! My buddies make fun of my horn until I go bigger on the jumps than them. They always get a beep beep! working on a back flip while tooting my horn :applause: . I just orderd a dunlop D606, my stock tire burned write off!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 06WR450FSM

Posted June 08, 2006 - 10:27 PM

maybe my digi speedo was off but my 06 wr450 hit 96 on the dry lake bed and felt pretty stable for being stock, except the free mods. gotta love being on the fastest stock bike out there killing everyone :applause:

Could be...

Based on my Excel speadsheet gearing chart, stock 14/50 gearing @ 11,000 rpm is 103 mph. Since hp drops off before then, 96 @ 10,250 rpm might be the best you can reach. Don't think I'll try it even with 17" supermoto radials, 15/42 gearing, and an 11,000 rpm speed of 121 mph (not enough hp).

• Matty05

Posted June 09, 2006 - 02:59 AM

Not for the off road racing that I do most of the time with my bike.

I have had it setup... for woods racing, and I love it there, but you can't have both and have it work right, I'll take the woods and short trips on town streets and country roads. Ya'll can have the highway if you REALLY want it. I don't.

As long as it is not stock! :applause:

• Triumphs

Posted June 09, 2006 - 11:57 AM

I'm taking delivery of my new 06 wr450f in the next couple of days. I eventually plan on making it street legal for running around town, some work commutes, and town to town mtn. pass rides.

The YZ450 is a much better choice here...perhaps even a TY trials model!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.