wr450f at highway speeds

25 replies to this topic
  • 300wby

Posted June 07, 2006 - 09:06 AM

Hi guys first post here..

I'm taking delivery of my new 06 wr450f in the next couple of days. :prof: I eventually plan on making it street legal for running around town, some work commutes, and town to town mtn. pass rides. My question is are there any upgrades to the engine/drive train that I should consider if I’m running highway speeds for 20-30 miles at a time? If the speeds are a problem I may scratch the idea of riding it into work once in a while and just stick with short around town hops.

Thanks for the info!
Great site BTW I look forward to learning a lot from you fine folks. :D
Expect some newbie questions from me in the not too distant future.... :applause:

• OlaGB

Posted June 07, 2006 - 09:45 AM

I have a 15 tooth front sprocket that i use when i want to drive longer trips on my 03! 14/50 is stock, and i still use the stock rear sprocket size.. This makes 60mph+ cruise speed easy, without any high rpm`s to worry about!

Thats the only mod i feel would be necessary!

(if it gets darn cold, then you could consider to put some duct tape on parts of the radiators when driving long trips without any hard pulls.. It gets to cold imo)

• DIGITAL_SOLDIER

Posted June 07, 2006 - 09:53 AM

Get good DOT tires, change the rear sprocket to a 48 tooth and be happy. A 6th gear would be better, but Yami seems to think 5 is fine.

There are better commuter bikes out there, but few as trail capable.

• mtrablue

Posted June 07, 2006 - 10:09 AM

are you going to off road this thing at all? there are better road bikes out there. a drzs or a 650s honda are better road bikes. but if the wr is your choice, then go for it. i have a buddy get his wheels balanced on his wr. you should have seen the grin on his face after a quick buzz down the highway.

• 300wby

Posted June 07, 2006 - 10:15 AM

My focus is 90% off road but wanted it to be street legal for trips around town as well as when riding into towns on mtn pass rides. I thought I might use it to commute to work once in a while but thats 30mi 1 way and almost all highway. Now I'm thinking about blowing that idea off since I dont want to compromise the bike's offroad abilities any and just stick with offroad and short trips to the store and back.

• Polar_Bus

Posted June 07, 2006 - 11:35 AM

300WBY,
When I was commuting with my WR250F last year, I ended up gearing 14/45. This allowed me to keep pace with traffic during commuting (approx 70 mph) while maintaining reasonable rpm's. Your fo-fiddy will have a TON more torque than my 250 so you could even gear higher. When I finalized my gearing, I was averaging 68 mpg !! The highway mannerisms were ok, modest vibration, and modest wind interference. I was running Kenda dual-sport tires, and my WR actually handeled very well, considering a WR on the highway is WAY out of it's intended element. One tip, keep a CLOSE eye on your spokes if you street ride. The harmonic vibrations will tend to loosen spoke nipples!
Rich

• BeachBoy

Posted June 07, 2006 - 12:36 PM

I run stock gearing on stock wheels with street tire son highway up to 100+mph no problem

• dbailey223

Posted June 07, 2006 - 03:29 PM

Beachboy, what year is your bike? My 03 WR 450 is probably tapped out at 75 mph I would guess, with stock sprockets and either the old stock tires or the new Maxxis Desert ITs

• beakr

Posted June 07, 2006 - 03:42 PM

I put a 15 tooth on the front of my '04 and left the 50 on the rear. It does ok at 55-60 mph. My drive to work is only 8 mi each way (55 mph highway), and if it was any more than that I wouldn't want to ride my bike. It gets blown around alot by the wind, and isn't comfortable for long distances. I wouldn't ride it on on the freeway with 65 or 75 mph traffic.

Around town, though, it is a blast. You feel like you are getting away with something!

• Matty05

Posted June 07, 2006 - 03:45 PM

Some got 15/50 stock, some got 14/50 stock.
It depends which sprocket they put on the bike. I got my 15 sprocket in the spares kit.

With 15/50, you can go 100+mph very easily.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CAVSCOUT96

Posted June 07, 2006 - 03:52 PM

I put a 15 tooth on the front of my '04 and left the 50 on the rear. It does ok at 55-60 mph. My drive to work is only 8 mi each way (55 mph highway), and if it was any more than that I wouldn't want to ride my bike. It gets blown around alot by the wind, and isn't comfortable for long distances. I wouldn't ride it on on the freeway with 65 or 75 mph traffic.

Around town, though, it is a blast. You feel like you are getting away with something!

Totally agree. 30 miles at or above 60mph is dicey. Remember your bike is DESIGNED to turn quickly on the trails NOT track with awesome stability at 70+ mph. Mine felt really unstable above 60 so I don't ride it on the freeways just around town about 45 MPH max (comfortably)

• Matty05

Posted June 07, 2006 - 03:57 PM

Totally agree. 30 miles at or above 60mph is dicey. Remember your bike is DESIGNED to turn quickly on the trails NOT track with awesome stability at 70+ mph. Mine felt really unstable above 60 so I don't ride it on the freeways just around town about 45 MPH max (comfortably)

Set your bike up man................
Sounds like your suspension is way too soft.

• minion

Posted June 07, 2006 - 05:03 PM

Agreed. I can trail ride the bike all day long, and just simply be tired... I can ride it across town, and my butt HURTS! You don't notice how hard the seat is until you're actually sitting down on the bike with your weight for a while. Not to mention the bumpy ride from the knobbies.

I would highly recommend a different seat for commutes. I think it'd be a good idea to get a different set of wheels for street riding, and be able to swap them out, but the price of each wheel (approx $500) is a bit prohibitive to me. :applause:

M.

• 300wby

Posted June 07, 2006 - 06:28 PM

Ok it sounds like I wont be using this as a once in a while commuter. That’s really not a problem because that wasn’t what I chose the bike for. It'll still move me around town at 45-50 and that will be just fine.
Thanks for the feedback fellas! :applause:

• OlaGB

Posted June 07, 2006 - 08:49 PM

The bike isnt that bad at all!

I have a friend, living 35km away from me, wich i visit and ride along with every once in a while.. The trip up there takes me approx 20min, keeping around 60-70mph speed all the way.. this goes as a piece of cake.. I could ride twice as far without any problems..

Only issue, is that i get tired of the wind resistance! If not, i could have been doing 80mph all the way... It isnt the bike, it`s me that gets tired..

I wouldnt do commuting on it, but to take 30mile trips on a sunny day, is all good!

btw: my bike is rolling on MAXXIS IT rear, and a bridgestone knobby front when doing these trips!

• Polar_Bus

Posted June 08, 2006 - 02:38 AM

I run stock gearing on stock wheels with street tire son highway up to 100+mph no problem

DON'T THINK SO (unless your engine is capeable of revving to 13,000 rpm's)

• Polar_Bus

Posted June 08, 2006 - 02:40 AM

I would highly recommend a different seat for commutes. I think it'd be a good idea to get a different set of wheels for street riding, and be able to swap them out, but the price of each wheel (approx $500) is a bit prohibitive to me. :applause:

M.

absolutely 100% agree on the seat upgrade! I added the "soft" CEET foam, and I was good for about an hour ride (rather than 11 min. on the stock "cinder block" seat)

• nitronaf

Posted June 08, 2006 - 04:10 AM

im topping out at 160kmh with 15/42 gearing (motarded)
i must be doin something wrong or im really fat.......hmm
17" wheel must alter it alot more than i thought if u guys are getting it with stock gearing

• BeachBoy

Posted June 08, 2006 - 07:28 AM

I'll confirm with my friend, but we were riding along him with a ZX6R and he told me I was right there with him at 95mph

I'll check if I have stock gearing, because I bought the bike used and the guy did trail riding he might have changed the sproket sizes. What is the stock one on a '03?

• CAVSCOUT96

Posted June 08, 2006 - 09:18 AM

Set your bike up man................
Sounds like your suspension is way too soft.

Not for the off road racing that I do most of the time with my bike.

I have had it setup... for woods racing, and I love it there, but you can't have both and have it work right, I'll take the woods and short trips on town streets and country roads. Ya'll can have the highway if you REALLY want it. I don't.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.