Handlebar vibration on 650L

21 replies to this topic
  • churchman2003c

Posted June 07, 2006 - 06:58 AM

Ok, I searched the forum and couldn't find the answer for this- I love my L but after about 20 minutes on the freeway my hands, especially my right hand, gets numb from the vibration.

Anybody have any experience with the Bar Snake or any other fix?

• ghoti

Posted June 07, 2006 - 07:13 AM

Aluminum bars and dual sport grips.

• HappyCurmudgeon

Posted June 07, 2006 - 07:19 AM

I have been playing with this since last fall. The aluminum bars helped me a bit, but i still get the tingles after awhile, i am in the process of trying different grips, havent really found one i like yet, waiting on a set of gels to try those out.

Two things i was told when i asked this same question:

1. Make sure your tires are blanced, that will cause excess vibes

2. Relax your grip. A friend of mine says i am holding on to the grips to tight, i dunno if i am, but it's worth a try.

• HappyCurmudgeon

Posted June 07, 2006 - 07:20 AM

yeah blanced. uherdme

• XR650L_Dave

Posted June 07, 2006 - 07:37 AM

Ok, I searched the forum and couldn't find the answer for this- I love my L but after about 20 minutes on the freeway my hands, especially my right hand, gets numb from the vibration.

I used to suffer from this, on a variety of bikes.
Turned out it wasn't vibration, it was my jacket pulling on my arm just under my armpit near the front, pinching a nerve.

Especially affected my throttle hand.

Dave

• churchman2003c

Posted June 07, 2006 - 08:31 AM

I've got a set of Renthal bars with gel grips and put bar ends on it. I know the rear tire is balanced; I'll have to check the front one when I get home. I'll pay more attention to how tight I grip the bars. I never thought about my jacket pinching my nerve, so I'll check that too.

Anyone with experience on the Bar Snake? :applause:

• HappyCurmudgeon

Posted June 07, 2006 - 08:36 AM

no clue on the bar snake, never tried it. (other than i've dated a few) :applause:

• churchman2003c

Posted June 07, 2006 - 09:14 AM

I will make sure my tires are "blanced" -this must be a new procedure:)

Yes, you must beware of those bar snakes- one time I, er, someone I know, years ago had a little too much to drink at a club and asked a "woman" to dance- turns out "she" was a guy. I, no "someone I know", noticed people staring and when someone I know got a little closer to the "woman" I noticed she was a man.

• TREADMARKS

Posted June 07, 2006 - 12:08 PM

Aluminum bars, gel grips and a barsnake .

If that doesn't help, you can always go with a CRF front end with the rubber bat mounts. It worked for me! :applause:

• ktm1duke

Posted June 07, 2006 - 06:51 PM

I ride a 2000 KTM Duke II that is like riding a jack hammer. Check out: www.hunterflatbars.com I don't have them yet but I've heard positive reviews about vibration reduction. Also, check the motor mounts...they might be loose if the vibes are excessive.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ktm1duke

Posted June 07, 2006 - 07:45 PM

Forgot to mention this website: http://www.fasstco.c...flexx_bars.html

Also, I tried the bar snake stuff but it doesn't make a dramatic difference in lessening vibration, only a slight reduction. It's just epoxy so if you want a cheaper alternative go to the hardware store and buy epoxy that will work in that application.

• tirebiter

Posted June 08, 2006 - 04:09 AM

I took care of the buzz on my 650L by installing a set of Protaper bars and spider grips, then shoved these little suckers in each end..
http://www.fasstco.c...ar_inserts.html
Really helps! :applause:

• ztsd

Posted June 08, 2006 - 06:42 AM

Check THIS

This thread is about the XR650R but I think Ron said he was designing the bar clamps so he could use them on all his triple clamps. Send him an email and ask if you can get them for the ‘L’!

Go with the original Pro-Taper bars like others have mentioned and also give these a try...

Progrip 714 Dualsport grips.
http://www.cycleoutf...og714duals.html

• churchman2003c

Posted June 08, 2006 - 07:09 AM

I like those Fasst inserts so I'll probably give those a try next paycheck. I think my problem is part bike and part me- my right hand and arm do get tingly and numb if I stay too long in one position.

• evomx971

Posted June 08, 2006 - 01:48 PM

Another option that I might try on my 'L' are the bar end weights from here:

www.manicsalamander.com

I have a set of their weights on my Suzuki Bandit 1200 and it made a world of difference in bar vibration. Note that they will only work on steel bars.

First though, I have a set of those FAAST bar inserts on the TT500 I did vintage motocross on. I haven't been racing it as much so I think I'll pull the inserts out of it and try them on the 'L'.

They didn't help the vibes on that TT500 as much as I was looking for but they did help some.

• scapegoat

Posted June 08, 2006 - 06:21 PM

If you have good health insurance go have Carple tunnel surgery done on your hands. I had my right done several years ago. it got to the point I couldent ride anymore. Now at 45 my left is gettting pretty bad. It will put you out of riding for a bit while you heal, but it was worth the down time.

• ztsd

Posted June 08, 2006 - 07:48 PM

Oh, yeah... Another trick I have heard about.

Fill the center part of the bars up to the last bend on either side with silicon caulk, using a rubber hose. Let it cure for a day then fill the rest with lead birdshot leaving enough room for a final silicon caulk plug. Guess the combination of the silicone dampening material and the lead at the ends of the bar take a lot of the buzz out...

I’ll be trying this on my bike...

• TahomaTom

Posted June 09, 2006 - 12:15 PM

The calk and lead shot sounds like a lot of weight.

I would check your stance. I can ride my L for 100's of miles but can only ride my XT for about 50 and a friends CBR for a few minutes.

I would try to get taller bars altogether. You could also try a less aggressive tire.

And a steering stabalizer.

• Mooncruiser

Posted June 11, 2006 - 10:59 PM

Gel riding gloves, I like the Olympia brand.

Chip

• Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted June 12, 2006 - 05:58 AM

I have also considered the birdshot/buckshot idea.

With my Moose handguards, I'd just remove one side, tilt the bike over, pour in the shot leaving enough room for the handguard mount, then re-isntall the handguard.

If it is too heavy, just reverse the process....no damage done or anything other than pocked change to try it out. Personally, I do not think the weight would be noticeable.

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.