Frame & Rear shock absorber Too Hot

9 replies to this topic
  • spyder8850

Posted June 07, 2006 - 02:02 AM

Anyone having experience after a long ride, the frame (right side) and the rear shock absorber is too hot due to the exhaust pipe being mounted too close to them. Anyone uses anything here to reduce the heat? Does the heat cause any long term effect on the rear shock canister?

• Matty05

Posted June 07, 2006 - 03:00 AM

The long term effect is that it destroys the oil and gas in your shock.

It is normal for the frame to heat up. The exhaust system is bolted to it.

• gregwr450f

Posted June 07, 2006 - 03:35 AM

Put some heat tape around the pipe and use some fibre washers where it bolts to the frame

• spyder8850

Posted June 07, 2006 - 04:56 AM

That is exactly what I was thinking too...

I try to get some heat tape and fibre washers to fix them up...

Thanks guys!

• creeky

Posted June 07, 2006 - 05:46 AM

A heat deflector can be made from aluminum that fits between the shock and the pipe. Make it with a tab so that the exhaust pipe bolt can hold it on. My wife remains mystified as to the disappearance of her aluminum baking pans.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TooFast

Posted June 07, 2006 - 07:31 AM

FYI - the shock will get hot by itself, especially when riding rough ground and it's stroking a lot. Some can get too hot to hold your hand on. I'd bet exhaust heat is the lessor of the two by a large marign. Just my .02

• spyder8850

Posted June 07, 2006 - 07:34 AM

A heat deflector can be made from aluminum that fits between the shock and the pipe. Make it with a tab so that the exhaust pipe bolt can hold it on. My wife remains mystified as to the disappearance of her aluminum baking pans.

Do you have pic of it, if your don't mind?!

• spyder8850

Posted June 07, 2006 - 07:35 AM

FYI - the shock will get hot by itself, especially when riding rough ground and it's stroking a lot. Some can get too hot to hold your hand on. I'd bet exhaust heat is the lessor of the two by a large marign. Just my .02

Make sense :prof:

Don't you always get HOT when being stroked!? :D :applause:

• Matty05

Posted June 07, 2006 - 04:01 PM

First of all, you shouldn't cook with Aluminum.
Second of all, what were you doing in the kitchen???

• Matty05

Posted June 07, 2006 - 04:02 PM

There could be other problems like frothy oil. It makes the shock heat up and very harsh.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.