clutch plate question

6 replies to this topic
  • jwcrf05

Posted June 06, 2006 - 12:25 PM

is it necessary to soak the plates in oil overnight or is just lubing them up real good before i put them in fine?

• crfdaddy

Posted June 06, 2006 - 05:45 PM

just smear some oil on the steel and the fiber plates the grooves in the basket, the inner hub it does not have to soak overnight. if you do a search i'm sure there is more info on this, you need to stagger the plates on reassembly,also measure the pressure plate springs on my 04 yz they were about 3/4" shorter than the limit that the manual shows.

• yamahacrazy_310

Posted June 06, 2006 - 06:13 PM

I let them soak as I take the clutch apart. Than just out them in and call it good. Only burnt up 3 clutches in my 2003 YZ250F in 3 years.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jwcrf05

Posted June 06, 2006 - 06:23 PM

allright i notcied that when i put the new plates in the clutch lever was real loose, I had to tighted in up quite a bit to get it where it had proper freeplay, is this just because the old plates were so worn out?

• yamahacrazy_310

Posted June 06, 2006 - 07:01 PM

Did you put them in right??? It goes friction, steal, friction, steal and so on last one being friction.

• j2one2

Posted June 08, 2006 - 05:04 PM

i just put a set of barnett plates in my 450 2 weeks ago and the kit came with a note that said to make sure to completly soak the plates in the same kind of oil that you are putting into the cases for at least 5-10 minutes before putting them in.

• BC3

Posted June 08, 2006 - 07:36 PM

Just a tip from and old guy but it might help you, the factory gives you an "installed heigh" and tells you the where MIN. and MAX. read the manual and measure your parts
(after washing them and drying off) and this will keep your clutch working best...

Related Content

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.