Spark arrestor on stock 2006 YZ450 exhuast

12 replies to this topic
  • mlight9

Posted June 06, 2006 - 09:54 AM

Did anyones stock exhaust on there 2006 yz 450 come with a spark arrester? :prof: :bonk: Just kidding, I installed a stainless steel screen down inside the pipe. I took the end cap off and laid a heavy piece of stainless steel screen over the inner pipe of the exhaust. Then just reinstalled the end cap over the screen. The screen is held in place by the end cap that is flared, It is designed to slide over the exhaust tube inside of the exhaust. The flared part was just loose enough to take the screen and make a tight fit out of it. Parts include a $ 1.97 stainless steel sink strainer, 8 new 3/16 rivets and some help from friends. Wondering why I would do this? Well you must have a spark arrester to ride at the local national forest. The screen is the same guage wire that comes on other after market slip on exhaust. Total cost $5 bucks and a few beers. Here are some. pics :applause: :D :prof:

http://i8.photobucke...8/mlight/e2.jpg
http://i8.photobucke...8/mlight/e1.jpg

• JSanfilippo

Posted June 06, 2006 - 01:06 PM

This guy has ridstealth.com in his sig yet he rides a bike that measures 105 db on the sound meter. Personally I don't think there is anything wrong with a loud bike, I just thought I'd point out the irony :applause:

• mlight9

Posted June 06, 2006 - 01:21 PM

This guy has ridstealth.com in his sig yet he rides a bike that measures 105 db on the sound meter. Personally I don't think there is anything wrong with a loud bike, I just thought I'd point out the irony :bonk:

You got me on that one, I'm just waiting on someone to do a good exhaust test and explain how they come up with there numbers. My bike does drive me crazy with the loudness of it. The sound test that they do just don't make any sense to me, the one test that I know they do is at 4500 rpm. That test is designed to work on XR's not the 450's of today. IF I could get real numbers I would have bought an exhaust a long time ago. If someone could tell me what test they use and what RPM range they are testing at it would be awesome.

• JSanfilippo

Posted June 06, 2006 - 06:16 PM

^^^^

Apparantly its supposed to be 1/2 of the RPMs that the engine produces its peak torque at. Thats impossible though because my TTR is supposed to test at 4250 rpm and there is no way in hell that it makes its peak torque at 8500 rpm.

• mlight9

Posted June 06, 2006 - 06:40 PM

What kind of RPM does your bike run at? The only info that I have found is showing they test bikes at 4500 RPM. I agree that doesn't work, but I can not find anything else that shows any different.

• JSanfilippo

Posted June 06, 2006 - 06:41 PM

What kind of RPM does your bike run at? .

All over the place

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yamahacrazy_310

Posted June 06, 2006 - 07:06 PM

Did you ride it yet? Did it take away any power?

• jamiehughes

Posted June 06, 2006 - 07:42 PM

I LIKE LOUD!!!! :applause:

• cowboyona426

Posted June 06, 2006 - 08:25 PM

Good idea, but the first time someone checks you and you don't have "USFS approved" anywhere on your muffler, they'll give you a ticket. It's rediculous that it has to be that way, because like you said what you did works just the same as my $125 PMB endcap... good luck with it, hopefully they'll let you slide!

• bluestreak450

Posted June 06, 2006 - 10:34 PM

He's right. They'll ticket you if it's not USFS approved. I wonder if you can find the little plate and rivet it on?

• Troutman

Posted June 07, 2006 - 11:33 AM

My new $125 PMB endcap does not say "USFS approved" on it anywhere. Just screen type. But it does look official.

http://www.pwccost.c...pmb-01-5101.jpg

• mlight9

Posted June 07, 2006 - 02:25 PM

From my understanding all that happens when they get checked out by the ranger is they put a stick down the exhaust to make sure the screen is in there. I guess I will find out, and I'll let you know if there is any power loss. Hell, I liked it loud to when I was in my 20's and a young buck. I don't care for it now, I guess I'm getting old.

• cowboyona426

Posted June 08, 2006 - 09:02 PM

Trout, as long as the muffler is stamped "USFS approved" or "screen type" or anything else that indicates a spark arrestor is in there you're safe. mlight- a dimwitted ranger will probably just do the "stick test" and you'll be fine, but one who knows what he's doing will likely be able to tell that you have a modified stocker. Like I said, if he's in a good mood he may let you slide, but to me the $125 is worth the piece of mind knowing I don't have to sweat it. PS the "stick test" is a good way for some dork to poke a hole in your screen and ruin it- don't let them do that if you can help it.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.