Oil use on an L

18 replies to this topic
  • Jawmail

Posted June 06, 2006 - 09:44 AM

Did 400 miles over the weekend most of it averaging about 60 mph. The oil level went down about 1/2 quart or more. I added oil to get the level back up when I got home. Is a little oil use normal ??

• wr450fyamaha

Posted June 06, 2006 - 04:18 PM

Yeah, dont worry about it until you feel a power loss, there is a massive amount of smoke, or it starts to burn a lot more. These engines are bulletproof and they burn oil even when new....you should be fine for quite a while....unless u want an empty reason to put a big bore and a high comp in her.

• HawkGT

Posted June 06, 2006 - 04:57 PM

650Ls normally burn oil??

To the poster: I'd be concerned about burning 1/2 quart over 400 miles. Are you sure the oil was actually consumed and it's not a measurment error. Dry sump engines typically have a very specific procedure for checking the oil level. Varience from the procedure can lead to high or low readings. Just a thought...

• Jawmail

Posted June 06, 2006 - 05:03 PM

I am pretty sure I measured the correct way but I could be off a little here or there. To measure I make sure it's fully warm(3-4 miles minimum), turn off, let sit "a few minutes", then measure while bike is level. That's straight out of the manual for an '06 so who knows. Thanks

• cleonard

Posted June 06, 2006 - 05:14 PM

I'd also be concerned about a quart every 800 miles. There are only three places for it to go. Out the exhaust, out the breather, or a leak. Both a leak or the breather make an oily mess and are easy to detect. The breather usually means too much blow by from worn out rings, and ends up in the air box on a 650L. Extended wide open runs will blow some out the breather even if everything is OK. If it's actually burning it, there should be smoke. It's not always easy to detect while riding, but if someone is behind you they can tell.

I'd guess measurement issues. I have a XR600 and the only way to get a true reading is to do it at the end of a ride. Pull up, leave the engine running, get a rag, kill the engine and check. If I just idle it for for several minutes, it always reads low.

• radvocaat

Posted June 06, 2006 - 05:32 PM

cleonard---'quote'
I'd guess measurement issues. I have a XR600 and the only way to get a true reading is to do it at the end of a ride. Pull up, leave the engine running, get a rag, kill the engine and check. If I just idle it for for several minutes, it always reads low.

Well said. That's the only way I can get a true reading as well, even right after a oil change when I know exactly how much oil is in there!!!

• jimXR650L

Posted June 06, 2006 - 06:45 PM

That's exactly what I get! Even right after an oil change, and then going through all the proper procedures, even re-reading the manual, level ground and all that stuff, I show almost nothing on the dipstick.

• HawkGT

Posted June 06, 2006 - 07:59 PM

Not sure if this helps or not, but:

Remember that if the procedure calls for idleing for 5 minutes or something like that you must make sure to actually let it idle. Riding it or blipping the throttle won't work. To get an accurate reading the oil volume in the crankcase must be normalized ("normalized" would be an oil level flush with the oil check bolt). The oil pump does this automatically but only after idling for a time.

• elrontx

Posted June 07, 2006 - 03:48 AM

next time you check the oil let bike warm up for 5 min,drive apx .5 mile then check it next time you ride do the same thing.from my experience this is the best way.i burn a little oil if im singletracking all day in hot weather.i use the dipstick to check oil

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • HappyCurmudgeon

Posted June 07, 2006 - 05:22 AM

:prof:

Yeah, dont worry about it until you feel a power loss, there is a massive amount of smoke, or it starts to burn a lot more. These engines are bulletproof and they burn oil even when new....you should be fine for quite a while....unless u want an empty reason to put a big bore and a high comp in her.

:bonk: :prof: :D

I would have to agree with anyone EXCEPT the above post.
:applause:

a new motor should NOT be burning oil. I changed mine first thing on my bike when i bought it new, just to make sure some weenie kid in the back room of the honda dealer haden't forgotten to add it.

I would guess it is a procedural thing and not really a loss, but the only way i know to be 100% positive, is to completely drain it, add the proper amount, then check it the way the book says to get a feel for how it reads when you have a known correct volume in it.

"burn oil even when new" :lol: that's a good one...

• Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted June 07, 2006 - 06:43 AM

"burn oil even when new" :applause: that's a good one...

I concur, a new engine should/would not burn oil.

But I think the poster was just referring to an air-cooled big bore's tendency to consume more oil than a state-of-the-art high tolerance engine.

If in doubt on the oil levels on your 650L's, you can always find a clean drainage container, drain the oil out, and measure it. If it's still good/clean, just pour it back in.

Also, measure it when replacing it. Make sure the old oil is thouroughly drained, too.

• ghoti

Posted June 07, 2006 - 07:12 AM

It's a good idea to check the level right after and oil and filter change too for a reference. My doesn't read full on the stick if I put in the recommended amount.

• rockydrxrvr

Posted June 07, 2006 - 10:41 PM

I think you will find your valve guides are already passing oil. They run just too damn hot on the top end! :applause:

• x400r

Posted June 08, 2006 - 10:15 AM

I never check the oil level in my bike. I check to see how clean the oil is but don't pay attention to the level. If you are not burning oil or have a oil leak some where, you should not be using any oil. I would not worry too much about it unless you are actually using oil. When you change the oil see how much comes out. How much did you put in? If it is the same then you don't have a problem. A new bike should not be using any oil. My XR400 uses no oil and probably had 3 -4000 miles on it.

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted June 08, 2006 - 01:48 PM

Im going to check mine tonite per the manuals instructions..but wait! I don;t have a manual!! I check mine by measureing it by volume when I change it whihc I do about every 1000-1500 miles on my 1996 Spermoto XR600R. I also change it more often in the summer as I live in the desert in New Mexico.

• gamblingwithguns

Posted June 19, 2006 - 09:54 AM

I just purchased a 02 650L and the only mods that i know are aftermarket air filter, and white bros e series pipe. I know nothing of previous care so i changed the oil (2 quarts)and filter. After apprx 400 miles i checked my oil and it appeared low after following the owners manuals procedure for checking the oil. I couldnt understand how this could be since it doesnt smoke and parked in a garage no signs of leaks.I then added 1/2 quart and went on about my business.Later it began to bother me so i went back out and drained the oil out, poured it back up in the bottles i just emptied and the bike only had 2 quarts in it.So my bike had used apprx 1/2 quart in 400 miles with no sign of smoke.

• ParticleMan

Posted June 19, 2006 - 01:07 PM

Burn oil when new? gimmeabreak.. take what you read on these forums with a grain of salt, I find myself shaking my head at wr450fyamaha's posts on a normal basis.

He should be an expert on smoking and burning oil.. here is a nice summary.
http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=378137

sorry for the hijack, the only helpful advice I have is to make sure you're measuring it correctly, mine will appear low unless you check it like the manual says.

• tirebiter

Posted June 19, 2006 - 06:26 PM

After owning several "Oil in the frame" bikes over the last few decades, the only way to really tell if your losing oil is by measuring it after you change it.
The warm up, wait 5 min and check the sitck method is way too variable.
If you aren't leaking or blowing oil smoke, don't worry about it- Measure it after you drain it.
But I'm sure someone will disagree, that's why most of the posts in this forum are unreliable- all the knowitalls sittin' behind their monitors, hell bent on rehashing sketchy memories from posts past.
Makes me sick reading some of the garbage people post.
Heat the sucker up & drain it.

• ghoti

Posted June 20, 2006 - 04:39 AM

After owning several "Oil in the frame" bikes over the last few decades, the only way to really tell if your losing oil is by measuring it after you change it.
The warm up, wait 5 min and check the sitck method is way too variable.
If you aren't leaking or blowing oil smoke, don't worry about it- Measure it after you drain it.
But I'm sure someone will disagree, that's why most of the posts in this forum are unreliable- all the knowitalls sittin' behind their monitors, hell bent on rehashing sketchy memories from posts past.
Makes me sick reading some of the garbage people post.
Heat the sucker up & drain it.

I'll bite. How reliable can measuring the drained oil be? How much is left in the filter and housing? How much is on the frame? Do you calculate this into what you've drained out? How about what's left in the drain pan when you pour it into your graduated cylinder? You do use a calibrated measuring vessel, right?

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.