Q: how to reinstall cams/camchain on '03 yz450?

2 replies to this topic
  • yamasaki

Posted June 05, 2006 - 06:15 PM

hello,

i'm doing a top-end rebuild (1st time for me on a 4stroke motor) on my '03 yz450f.

i've got the piston at TDC and the camchain tensioner is out of the engine. my question is, the camchain barely fits over both cams.. how do you guys line up/install the cams when rebuilding? the yamaha manual says to do the exh cam first, but it's pretty difficult either way..

is there some trick you guys use? or is it just 'fiddle with it till ya get it in' (no wisecracks please, i see the door wide open on that one )?

thanks in advance.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted June 05, 2006 - 07:53 PM

A cam chain that's close to the right (non-worn out) length can't be lifted off either cam once the cams are in place. Even with only one in position, there is not really adequate room to shift the chain along the cam sprocket. What needs to be done is to unbolt the cams and tip the one you want to reposition out of place enough to move the chain one or whatever number of teeth it needs to correct its timing. It's a little tricky, but that's the only way.

The exhaust should be done first, but it doesn't have to be. It does have to be in its journals with the chain over it though, because the only way to correctly time the intake is to have the chain running over the exhaust sprocket, and all the slack out of the front and top runs of chain, so it usually works out easier to do the exhaust first. When you're done, double check by backing the engine up carefully, then rotate it forward to TDC while holding pressure on the tensioner guide with a finger through the back of the cylinder. Check the marks, and if it's good, install the tensioner.

• yamasaki

Posted June 09, 2006 - 06:27 PM

thanks for the reply. just got finished putting it back together...

the method i used was:

1) put the exhaust cam on in place
2) with the exhaust cam in, put the intake cam on as close to the exhaust cam as possible (chain slacks the most closest to exh cam)
3) since the cam rolls on a bearing, just roll the intake cam into place

the only catch was you have to guess how many teeth will roll by as you roll the cam into place.. i had to re-position the cam 3-4 times before i got it right, but all-in-all it was pretty painless.

reassembled the bike with the new top-end and she fired right up on the first kick.

this was my first time rebuilding a 4 stroke top-end. it was easier than i thought it would be. :applause: :D :prof: :prof:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.