Can't/Won't wheelie

35 replies to this topic
  • HawkGT

Posted June 06, 2006 - 09:29 AM

I thought so too because no sparks from the dragging exhaust pipe.

Look closer. There are sparks.

The rider is Simon "Ronnie" Smith of PerformanceBikes magazine. He was killed a few years ago, RIP. I believe the picture is from the early 90's (did they have photoshop back then??). The picture is real, I have no doubt.

• BWB63

Posted June 06, 2006 - 09:41 AM

The 'wing has to be photoshopped.

Everyone KNOWS shaft drive bikes can't wheelie because of the torque reaction.

D

I can wheelie my ST1300 up to 60mph at that point I don't have the balls to hit second or haven't got the shift down. I can get it all the way to the ballance point. Shaft Drive can wheelie just fine.

• ProMed

Posted June 06, 2006 - 11:21 AM

Suggestions on wheelies?
Thanks!!

This video from Triple B demonstrates a clutch wheelie with an XR400.

http://media1.break....motocrash30.wmv
:applause:

• BIGGITY

Posted June 06, 2006 - 11:42 AM

This video from Triple B demonstrates a clutch wheelie with an XR400.

http://media1.break....motocrash30.wmv
:applause:

I feel like I'm about to do that everytime I lift a high wheelie. I still have not been able to find a comfortable balance point where I feel the 650R is happy staying. Just got to keep practicing..

• Max Power

Posted June 06, 2006 - 08:57 PM

D

Whatever.

Posted Image

• XR650L_Dave

Posted June 07, 2006 - 07:43 AM

Just trollin' guys.

My '83 XJ900 shaftie wheelied just fine as well.

(that was a great bike, very popular in Europe. In the US- avail. for 1 year)

Dave

• skyriver

Posted June 07, 2006 - 01:10 PM

I completely disagree with your whole reasonings.I own a xr 600 92 w/plate and bought this bike for the sole purpose of highway/dirt adventure bike,having the ability to keep up with traffic all that good shyte.I dont particularly feel like grabbing air with this big beast.Put me on a 250 2 stroke and it's like a whole different ball game.The 600-650 bike is a Beast that can have ignorant manners that need to be respected.
I've ridden with all kin ds from novice to semi-pro.It all depends on the leauge i'm playing in.I've went out with 125-250 and actuall had fairly lame days.
Whatever each to there o0wn.
Just thought your post had all the wrong reasonings behind it........for wheeling and the ability.
cya.

What? Not sure I even know what you just tried to say, but I'll be sure I don't hit the accident response guy as he scrapes up the remains of another newbie that thought they could safely ride 100mph.... or wheelie, or better yet, an endo/stoppie on their rocket. :applause:

• rippinroche

Posted June 07, 2006 - 05:43 PM

Practice will help I had a 1982 xr200r single shock pro link i use to practice wheelies and it took a long time i got some busted up knees and a scratched up helmet from landing on my head but i found that bounce point and it was fun .Then i got the 600r a few years latter and that bike was the king for wheelies second all the way to 6th hauling ass and praying that i didn't go over at 80 miles an hour. :applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 4whlfun

Posted June 07, 2006 - 06:34 PM

D

A GoldWing with a passanger on it can wheelie. I have a 2001 1800cc. With just me it. It will only burn the tire. Can't get enought traction. Put the extra weight on the back of the bike and it will do a wheelie. I don't recomend it you will be replacing fork seals.

• wr450fyamaha

Posted June 07, 2006 - 08:26 PM

I've ridden several. It's a 1500cc flat six in that Goldwing (the current one is 1800cc). Along with the big motor comes big weight and a big wheelbase...

Still, those things put out some serious power, more than enough to pull the front in first.

• simple1

Posted June 08, 2006 - 09:10 AM

What? Not sure I even know what you just tried to say, but I'll be sure I don't hit the accident response guy as he scrapes up the remains of another newbie that thought they could safely ride 100mph.... or wheelie, or better yet, an endo/stoppie on their rocket. :D

Well i guess all the guy's riding there harley's/street bikes shouldn't ride too fast cause they cant wheelie. :applause:

I understand the importance of being aware of your surroundings while on the road/traffic yadayada.I've been riding bikes for approx 24 yrs and i try to limit my stunting/aggresive riding for the bush.

• Summit Rider

Posted June 08, 2006 - 09:18 AM

Thanks for the responses. This question was an honest attempt to try and understand the mechanics of a wheelie and if my bike is capable. Riding at 100 was only mentioned as a performance indicator of the machine, not stated as an everyday occurance, and lastly there was no mention of where 100 was hit, I'm sure that just about everyone has opened up their new toy at some point to see its parameters.

As for staying with the pack, I have no motor pack, so I stay with myself.

If anyone around Summit County posts here and would like to ride I'd love to join you sometime.

Take care all.

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted June 08, 2006 - 01:32 PM

When I worked at Yamaha Suzuki Sports Center in Seaside Cali, I was known as Super K, the wheelie king! Not to toot my own horn, but I can basically wheelie anything. I don't wheelie very long anymore because since Im almost 40 I am a little more safe. I have wheelied a Yamaha Venture Royalle for about 6 blocks, so I doubt the "Wheelie Wing" pic is photoshopped. I can wheelie a Wing no problem. If ya have one Ill proove it. I own a 1996 XR600R Supermoto, and that thing will come up easy in third but I have to jerk on the bars a bit. It is actually easier to wheelie with your left knee on the seat, foot over the right side of the bike, and right foot on the brake pedal in case you start to go over. You can even put your left foot down after snatching it up to shift. On an XR though, Id stay away from trying to wheelie for long distance when you are first learning. Try it in steps, like one for about 20 feet, then 40 then after getting used to throttle control and powerband, you will be able to go further.

• MSD Mike

Posted June 11, 2006 - 06:53 PM

A couple of things come to mind right off the bat. A stock xr won't do 100mph. If yours is actually going that fast your gearing is taller than stock and will make it harder to get the front end up. Something else to think about is your altitude in CO. The higher your altitude the less power you will have. Both of these things combined with a lack of experience will make it pretty tough to wheelie.

Mike

• XR_mad

Posted June 11, 2006 - 10:32 PM

I thought so too because no sparks from the dragging exhaust pipe.

if you look carefully there is sparks coming from the pipes

• kellismechanic

Posted June 18, 2006 - 07:08 PM

What kind of gearing do you have to get 100MPH??? I run a 15/48 and top out just over 80 and my motor is screaming, that might be a problem with your wheelies, I am 6'3" 240lbs and my 96 XR600R will loft the front at will in third gear, you don't want to be going 100mph on an XR for long unless it is full race and in the dirt, or you will get hurt real soon, especialy if you are new to the game. :excuseme:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.