lights keep blowing?

5 replies to this topic
  • Sox450

Posted June 05, 2006 - 11:11 AM

I returned back from a ride and both the tail and headlamps had blown. I changed both and they worked fine at idle, when I increased the revs the lights blew again... bike still runs fine. Maybe a silly question, but I assume the voltage rectifier / regulator is faulty. Before I buy a new one, could anyone suggest if the fault could be else where with the symptoms described? :applause:

• TwoBobRob

Posted June 05, 2006 - 11:37 AM

Stick a voltmeter across the battery, see what its reading at idle and then slowly increase the revs. It shouldn't go higher than about 14.8v if I recall correctly... any more and its probably yer regulator.

Also, you're in danger of overcharging and 'boiling' your battery, could be wise to run something 12v off it for a bit with the engine off to settle it. :D

Assuming of course that nothings hanging off at the moment :applause:

• 5valve

Posted June 05, 2006 - 12:21 PM

Before replacing, check the cable and connector off regulator, maybe it just disconnected somehow.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ibis

Posted June 05, 2006 - 05:49 PM

Same thing happened to me. AC voltage from the defective regulator was ~17 volts under a 60 watt load. Replaced the regulator and the load voltage read ~13 volts. The new regulator fixed it.

My regulator went kaput on the first day of a 2100 mile Baja trip. The good thing was, it forced me to get in before dark. :applause:

• MountainMax

Posted June 05, 2006 - 06:22 PM

if that is your problem i have a new 06 regulator for sale, removed it from my new bike when i put the Baja-Designs Dual Sport kit on her and modded the stator, the stock regulator won't work with that setup and the kit comes with a new one.

• tmckeown

Posted June 05, 2006 - 08:52 PM

Hi,

I had same problem. What I did I started to run lights straight from battery. I haven't had problem since.

Timo Mc

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.