buy now or wait

11 replies to this topic
  • kc55555

Posted June 04, 2006 - 06:56 PM

I can get a 06 wr450f otd for $6599. Looks like the 07's are going to be upwards of $7500, I think. So..... Do I wait for the 07 or buy the 06. Will we see a new frame?

• steve lemley

Posted June 04, 2006 - 06:58 PM

If the frames not a big deal to you. The dealers will be giving away the steel frame ones because of the new design when it comes out. You could virtually steal a steel one at that point.

• kc55555

Posted June 04, 2006 - 07:01 PM

Is the new design worth it for somebody that just rides once a month and is not very good?

• MountainMax

Posted June 04, 2006 - 07:11 PM

some say the steel frame is better for absorbing bumps and it's easier to work on the bikes with a small frame instead of the HUGE aluminum one they may be coming out with, But if they come out with EFI on the 07 then I would wait forsure, but by the time they come out and get delivered it will be late for riding this year (depending where you live of course)

• Matty05

Posted June 04, 2006 - 07:44 PM

I can get a 06 wr450f otd for $6599. Looks like the 07's are going to be upwards of $7500, I think. So..... Do I wait for the 07 or buy the 06. Will we see a new frame?

I am sure the YZ pricing did not jump $1000 this year, why would the WR's?
That would be suicide.

Oh, and yes, I would wait! Not even a question. The '06 YZ450 craps all over the '05, the '07 model WR's will see the same performance jump. You couldn't spend enough money to turn a '05 YZ into a '06 one, they are that good.

• kc55555

Posted June 04, 2006 - 08:38 PM

In 05 the yz was 6399. in 06 the same yz with new frame was 6999.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Matty05

Posted June 04, 2006 - 11:19 PM

In 05 the yz was 6399. in 06 the same yz with new frame was 6999.

Nothing was the same on the new YZ. It is a totally new bike, motor and all. :applause:

• MountainMax

Posted June 05, 2006 - 07:46 AM

Maybe I may have to trade my 06 in next year on the 07. But it will certainly have to be a Much better bike for that.

• PBDBLUE

Posted June 05, 2006 - 07:55 AM

The dealer show is coming up within the month and they will announce all the new models then. Everything else is just speculation. If you're not in a huge hurry you might as well wait a bit and make the decision on facts rather than "my-brothers-sister in law's-husbands-cousin said" info.

• Matty05

Posted June 05, 2006 - 04:59 PM

Maybe I may have to trade my 06 in next year on the 07. But it will certainly have to be a Much better bike for that.

Oh, it will be! :applause:

• Matty05

Posted June 05, 2006 - 05:01 PM

The dealer show is coming up within the month and they will announce all the new models then. Everything else is just speculation. If you're not in a huge hurry you might as well wait a bit and make the decision on facts rather than "my-brothers-sister in law's-husbands-cousin said" info.

That depends if he worked in Japan for Yamaha! :applause:

• minion

Posted June 07, 2006 - 07:10 AM

some say the steel frame is better for absorbing bumps and it's easier to work on the bikes with a small frame instead of the HUGE aluminum one they may be coming out with, But if they come out with EFI on the 07 then I would wait forsure, but by the time they come out and get delivered it will be late for riding this year (depending where you live of course)

I was talking to the mechanic at the dealership I do business with about the possible upcomming EFI. He said if they use a similar design to the Raptor 700, then the EFI they will have will not be as cool as I think we're all hoping it will be.

The EFI on the raptor cannot change airflow based on altitude differences, because it doesn't have an O2 sensor. It can make minor adjustments based on mass air flow, but "re-jetting" for altitude will require hooking it up to a computer and reprogramming it.

That sounds like more of a hassle than jetting. If I'm going from 8000ft ASL to 13,000ft ASL, I can jet on the trail with a few tools. Now, I'd have to worry about carrying a fragile computer with me to make the adjustments.

If thats the case, no thanks - I'd prefer to stay with a carb. Less stuff to break.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.