WR400 axial clutch housing play

2 replies to this topic
  • TallBoysWRF

Posted June 04, 2006 - 03:56 PM

I have had a tick sound that I'm convinced has been getting worse lately. So I have decided to take the motor appart and and see if I can figure out the problem. I got the clutch cover off and the outside case cover off and I noticed that there is some axial (push/pull) play in the shaft that the clutch is on. It's not just the clutch on the shaft, it's the whole shaft. It's not like it's coming out or anything, but I'm wondering if this is normal? :applause: It's got enough play that it worries me if that is not normal. Is this something I need to dig into the cases and check out? Thanks for the help in advance!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Numskull

Posted June 04, 2006 - 04:41 PM

I havent had the crank case apart on this bike yet and hopefully wont have to for a few years. But I can tell you is that a shaft is not suppose to have end play. It rotates in bearings and dont slide in and out. If you can feel end play by pushing on the shaft, I would guess your bearings are shot, and definatly need to fix before it blows like a nuke. :applause:

• TallBoysWRF

Posted June 05, 2006 - 05:01 PM

I got the clutch housing off and the shaft slides in and out a little, but I can't detect ANY side to side play. Has anyone else run into this? :applause:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.