Need New Clutch 06YZ450

10 replies to this topic
  • 02YZ426

Posted June 04, 2006 - 02:21 PM

What clutch would you reccommend for a replacement on my new 06? Clutch lasted 2 days. Would a Barnett clutch kit be better than stock? Thanks. Oh and if your wondering how my clutch could be toast already I have 2 words... Hare Scramble. I dont know what I was thinking :applause: Never again.

• Matt96xr6

Posted June 04, 2006 - 02:49 PM

well I would think you did not have the clutch adjusted properly. Also proper gearing if you are slipping the clutch would help (ie gear it down)

• SureBlue

Posted June 04, 2006 - 02:58 PM

Sorry to hear that, must have been helluva race. Did you have enough clutch freeplay? My clutch is still very fine, it does not rattle neither do I find metal shavings in my oil filter as I did with my earlier bikes.
I would buy Hinson or GYTR, which in fact is Hinson but a bit cheaper. I already have the Hinson basket and was thinking of buying GYTR pressure plate, clutch kit and inner hub to have them all ready, but there has not been any need for it yet.
http://www.hinsonrac...rig_model_id=79
http://www.yamaha-mo...375/2006/1.aspx

• 02YZ426

Posted June 04, 2006 - 03:48 PM

well I would think you did not have the clutch adjusted properly. Also proper gearing if you are slipping the clutch would help (ie gear it down)

The clutch was adjusted properly... but I could have definatly geared the bike down a bit. The trail was so tight and muddy that I could hardly let go of the clutch.

• yamahacrazy_310

Posted June 04, 2006 - 04:12 PM

The clutch was adjusted properly... but I could have definatly geared the bike down a bit. The trail was so tight and muddy that I could hardly let go of the clutch.

That will do it.......Ummm ...hinson clutch......Well GYTR will be cheaper and will work just as good.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 02YZ426

Posted June 04, 2006 - 05:02 PM

So I'm guessing the GYTR will be my best bet then.. Thanks.

• grayracer513

Posted June 05, 2006 - 07:30 AM

This gentleman had a similar experience:

http://www.thumperta...34&parentpage=4

The GYT-R clutch components are in fact Hinson clutch components. They will work just the same because they are the same. But they cost less.

I will say and have said that the complete Hinson in my 450 is unquestionably the absolute best clutch I have ever had in any motorcycle I have ever owned or ridden by any measure of performance. It's that simple.

• 02YZ426

Posted June 05, 2006 - 07:42 AM

Will the GYTR clutch fibers and steels perform as good using the stock basket, hub and pressure plate? I would like to upgrade the whole Assembly but since its pretty expensive, and the bike is still new, I would like to run the stock components for this season anyway.

• grayracer513

Posted June 05, 2006 - 12:13 PM

There is some performance benefit to using the Hinson/GYT-R hard parts, but aside from the longevity, they don't add that much compared to a stock boss/basket that's in good condition.

Friction plates that have been run on a grooved basket should be replaced when replacing the basket, though, as the thrust faces of the tabs may be rounded somewhat, and could prematurely wear the new basket.

• SureBlue

Posted June 06, 2006 - 11:37 AM

The GYT-R clutch components are in fact Hinson clutch components. They will work just the same because they are the same. But they cost less.

Gray, I contacted Hinson as I wanted to know for sure and this is what they replied:
"We don't manufacture GYT-R parts. We did in the past but that was at least two years ago. Their is a difference between ours and theirs. We have have a much different type of coating that is very strong, and works good for durability."
:applause: I was in the belief too they still did produce them.

• crfdaddy

Posted June 06, 2006 - 05:50 PM

2 months ago when i was replacing the clutch on my 04 i bought some gytr stuff through the tt store and it was hinson

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On January 15, 2017
Forums
Photo

Should I buy this bike? help....... by Numsa Hul

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 10 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

BIGBORE FOR YZ450F 2006? by Taattie94

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.