XR 600/628-A worthy dual sport?

I am considering purchasing a 2000 XR600R (that has the 628 kit in it) to dual sport. The owner told me that once upon a time the bike was dual sported, and all it needs is headlight, tail light and turnsignals. He said the wiring harness is still in place as well as the switches.

Is this a good idea, or pass? The price is GREAT!

I have a CRF450 that is my regular dirt bike, and have a streetfighter for the street. I just think if I owned a dual sport, it would get a lot of use.

Thanks for all replies!

I have owned two bone stock XR600s, a '91 and a '95 and one '98 HRC628, they are great bikes, extremely reliable, lots of fun to ride. All three bikes were converted to road legal configuration, lights, turns, horn, etc. The one thing that I had a problem with on the 628 was that it required premium gas due to the high compression piston. I took it to Baja once and when we ran out of high-test, I was screwed, had to ride the spare bike. I'm sorry that I sold the last one, looking for another.

I am considering purchasing a 2000 XR600R (that has the 628 kit in it) to dual sport. The owner told me that once upon a time the bike was dual sported, and all it needs is headlight, tail light and turnsignals. He said the wiring harness is still in place as well as the switches.

I have a CRF450 that is my regular dirt bike, and have a streetfighter for the street. I just think if I owned a dual sport, it would get a lot of use.

Thanks for all replies!

I had a dual sported 600 they're great bikes. Buy it! :applause:

Thanks for all replies!

I have a 2004 CRF450 and a mucho modded 2000 XR628.

You will love the 628 for partial road and offroad useage.

It is heavy but on the road you dont notice it.

I'm pretty sure that 2000 was the last production year for the xr600. If I could find one in decent shape with a plate, I'd buy it asap. Any of the XRs make great dual sport bikes, but especially the big 600/650s.

R

You may want to check the laws in Nevada about what is "legal" for a conversion. In Idaho it's horn (electric or squeeze type [doesn't matter]), brake light, mirror. That's it. Nevada is a dirtbike-friendly state as is Idaho. I have a plate but have not converted my XR600. Most outlying towns don't care much about legality so long as you're not acting a fool and in town to spend money.

Owyhee

1999 XR600 :applause:

I have dual sported three bikes in Nevada, successfully through the DMV.

Headlight, tail light, brake light, mirror, horn, turn signals, D.O.T. tires

This bike is already wired, so everything is just a bolt on.

• 2 weeks later...