XR 600 CDI Performance Box - worth it??

7 replies to this topic
  • Jon-D

Posted June 03, 2006 - 07:30 AM

I was debating on purchasing one of those CDI performance box's that is typically advertised on e-bay but wanted to know if they are worth getting. has anyone used one before and what difference did you see over the stock unit? I pasted a link below to one of the units for sale.

• timothypg

Posted June 03, 2006 - 09:10 AM

mine went out today, 86 xr6. i was just going to ask the same thing. wonder if it will work on 86 looks like the same thing is available at dennis kirk.

• cleonard

Posted June 04, 2006 - 09:17 AM

While I'm sure that it would work, there is a price to be paid. That price is reduced longevity. I think that the stock CDI keeps the RPMs less than 7500 or so. Higher revs will wear the engine much quicker. Engines have 2 redlines. The first is really a wear limit. If you go above it, the engine wears much quicker. Especially the piston and bore. The other is where really bad things start to occur, like it blows up.

• Jon-D

Posted June 04, 2006 - 05:54 PM

besides the red line issue, the add mentions that it changes the ignition curve. what effect does this have on the bike? I normally like to lug my bikes anyway, so I knowing that the red line has been raised I would keep the rpm's down.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sorenlaf

Posted June 05, 2006 - 07:54 AM

besides the red line issue, the add mentions that it changes the ignition curve. what effect does this have on the bike?

It will advance the spark sooner and/or more.

Result is typically more power and better mileage.

Downside is it increases the required octane - can't say how much from here.

• kellismechanic

Posted June 18, 2006 - 07:38 PM

I have one on my 96 XR600R, and it works great, you just need self control, don't rev the piss out of it, I have been running it for over two years now without any problems, and over 2000 miles in the desert, still runs perfect. :excuseme:

• Jon-D

Posted June 19, 2006 - 04:19 PM

what are the differences you noticed between the stock unit and the aftermarket one?

• kellismechanic

Posted June 26, 2006 - 06:41 AM

Jon-D, I noticed more torque and pull through the rpm range, but I re-jetted my Mikuni 41 at the same time.
I think it is worth the money, but that is just my opinion. :excuseme:

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.