Clarke 4.0 or 4.7

13 replies to this topic
  • wheelnut46

Posted June 03, 2006 - 04:15 AM

[COLOR=Navy]For Fathers Day I'm going to get a new tank. I havent decided yet which one. I seem to remember someone saying there might have been fitment issues between one (both?) of these tanks and the Edelbrock carb. I dont have an Edelbrock yet but it's on the wish list maybe someday after I'm convinced that it's a totally reliable mod -but that's a totally different unresolved topic.
So does the shape of the 4.7 with it's fake little wings help to keep the bike cooler? Is that really even an issue? With the gas sitting so low that it never reaches the petcock unless I tip it over (I do that inadvertantly anyway :applause: ) I'm really leaning more towards the 4.0 - unless the wing shape helps cool it. But the extra 30 miles or so that the 4.7 would give... Well that's tempting too.
I live in Rhode Island where you're never that far fom gas - I'm just lazy and HATE filling up the stock tank so often.[/COLOR]

• Dual_Dog

Posted June 03, 2006 - 06:48 AM

Ah, I remember those days...My wife bought some IMS Pro Pegs for my old WR426F. Sure is nice to have a family that supports your habits, I mean, interests... :applause:

Either tank will be an improvement. Most guys choose the (Clarke) 4.0 since it looks more like OEM with it's slimmer design, I know I did. It also has fairly large front lobes that collect the wind somewhat like the stock wings.

If you really need more range, then the 4.7 is the better choice. However, both tanks still leave a fair amount of fuel unused on the right side since they only have one petcock on the left. This means you'll hit reserve with close to a gallon of fuel remaining. Then comes laying the bike over to get more fuel back over to the petcock side. It's a pain, but I'll take that any day over the stock thimble of a tank...

• goblin127

Posted June 03, 2006 - 10:59 AM

Ah, I remember those days...My wife bought some IMS Pro Pegs for my old WR426F. Sure is nice to have a family that supports your habits, I mean, interests... :applause:

Either tank will be an improvement. Most guys choose the (Clarke) 4.0 since it looks more like OEM with it's slimmer design, I know I did. It also has fairly large front lobes that collect the wind somewhat like the stock wings.

If you really need more range, then the 4.7 is the better choice. However, both tanks still leave a fair amount of fuel unused on the right side since they only have one petcock on the left. This means you'll hit reserve with close to a gallon of fuel remaining. Then comes laying the bike over to get more fuel back over to the petcock side. It's a pain, but I'll take that any day over the stock thimble of a tank...

exactly my thoughys also. I would still like to see the 4.7 on my bike instead of the 4.0 just to see if there was some obviouse visual diff. The clark fits well though.

• Ferdinand

Posted June 03, 2006 - 12:52 PM

As far as the 4.7, I wasn't crazy about the look, but after I got mine it doesn't look bad at all. I'm glad I went with it. As far as cooling, I don't know how much it helps, bike seems a tad hotter than stock, but only when I'm on it, especially on highway 55+, that could be related to bike working harder with 14/47 sprockets? Fit and install was cake. Having a bit more fuel for the same price is a plus too.

• Wheels up

Posted June 03, 2006 - 01:30 PM

IMS 4.0works great for me.

• justicedone

Posted June 03, 2006 - 02:45 PM

I have a Clarke 4.0 gallon and absolutely love it. Looks like it was sold on bike new, and it keeps you riding for at least 6-7hrs straight before filling again. Theres some pics in my garage, I also used an XR600 grafx kit I got off dennis kirk on the tank..and they have good ones on ebay just search xr600.

I reccomend this tank to anyone.

*link to pic of my tank*
http://www.thumperta...tachmentid=5652

• XR 650

Posted June 03, 2006 - 06:17 PM

I'd like to see more pics of the difference between the clark 4.0 & 4.7. I've been viewing some in people's "garages". I'd like to see a better pic of the 4.7. Is it a taller tank? My gps just clears the stock tank now.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted June 04, 2006 - 08:58 AM

See pics in my garage for an idea of the Clarke 4.7

• XR 650

Posted June 04, 2006 - 10:24 AM

Looks like it matches the bike good. Do you have a pic of it installed? It looks alot like the 4.0 tank. I was expecting bigger wings?

Thanks

See pics in my garage for an idea of the Clarke 4.7

• Manchu

Posted June 04, 2006 - 05:32 PM

Anyone have a pic of a white 4.7 mounted?

• Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted June 04, 2006 - 06:56 PM

Looks like it matches the bike good. Do you have a pic of it installed? It looks alot like the 4.0 tank. I was expecting bigger wings?

Thanks

I'll snap one prolly tomorrow.

On the bike, the tank isn't huge. I think it is a good fit for the bike.

But, I gotta tell you, when I received the tank, I opened it in my den. There it sat for a few days until the weekend, and everytime I walked past it. all I could think of was the Saturday Nite Live skit "Tiny Elvis".... "See that tank, daaaang...that is huuuuuge...!"

• Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted June 10, 2006 - 11:53 AM

I'll snap one prolly tomorrow.

Tomorrow, a week,... :D

OK, I added new pix in my garage of the Clarke 4.7 :applause:

• XR 650

Posted June 10, 2006 - 12:13 PM

Thanks for the effort. I ordered a clarke 4.0 from Thumper Talk yesterday. Both tanks look good.

Tomorrow, a week,... :D

OK, I added new pix in my garage of the Clarke 4.7 :applause:

• justicedone

Posted June 10, 2006 - 12:14 PM

Now drop some Pro-Taper CRF/High Bend's on their and you will really be stoked dude !!!

looks good

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.