Anyone ever use hairspray instead of grip glue?

13 replies to this topic
  • flubber

Posted June 02, 2006 - 10:27 PM

My uncle who used to race enduros back in the 60's and 70's said he used to use hairspray to glue his grips. Does this work? If yes, how long will it hold? I could not find any glue and used this trick tonight. Hopefully it holds.

• FastRich

Posted June 02, 2006 - 10:50 PM

That 3Bond stuff is really hard to comb through, hurts like the begeezus I'll tell you what. Sets up nice though. :applause:

Seriously, hairspray will work, so will spraypaint, gas, carb cleaner and any number of hazardous household chemicals. My moto is if you can huff it you can put grips on with it.
Just make sure you saftey wire them on, especially if you're ridng in the wet.
Its that whole ounce of prevention thing.

• needsprayer

Posted June 03, 2006 - 05:17 AM

I use WD40 to help slip the grips on the bar ends, then safety wire in three places (ends and middle, two loops each). No adhesives.

Edit: With safety wire in three locations there is no way for the whole grip to rotate at one time.

• Junior Belson

Posted June 03, 2006 - 07:52 AM

An air compressor will put on the grips without any chemicals. Just place the nozzle under the grip, release some air and slide the grip on. Works every time for me. Since I put them on dry I do not need any type of chemicals to stick the grips.

• bork

Posted June 03, 2006 - 11:45 AM

I used thr spray paint & they still slip a little (also wired). I still like the air method better.

• goblin127

Posted June 03, 2006 - 12:20 PM

Used the hair spray method on the last set, with safty wire works every time. Had luck using air also ,but wd40 I would pass on.

• Supplicate

Posted June 03, 2006 - 06:34 PM

my Spider grips were put on using black spray paint, have yet to slip and they aren't safety wired either.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bork

Posted June 03, 2006 - 07:30 PM

Remember , down here it is sugar sand or swamp. & mine got swamped!

• big t

Posted June 03, 2006 - 08:04 PM

I've had good look with spray paint also and safety wire just to make sure.

• EatDirt5

Posted June 03, 2006 - 08:13 PM

What kind of safety wire do you guys use and how do you make it not stick into you? I have tried hairspray and grip glue and it seems like after the first rain ride they start twisting.

• qadsan

Posted June 03, 2006 - 09:51 PM

What kind of safety wire do you guys use and how do you make it not stick into you? I have tried hairspray and grip glue and it seems like after the first rain ride they start twisting.

It's just plain old 0.032 stainless steel safety wire. There's nothing esle special about it. Simply loop it around the grip, grab & lock the wires where they intersect with the pliers and carefully pull its knob back to twist the wire tight and even. You'll have to get the feel for it because pulling too tight will break the wire, but you'll quickly learn how tight to pull after a couple tries. Then cut the twisted wire to leave approximately 3/16 of a twisted pig tail sticking out from the grips. Then use the blunt end of the pliers to push that pig tail into the grip so it doesn't stick out. You'll want 3 or 4 evenly spaced wire loops. If done right, you should be able to ride without gloves and not have any issues with the wire.

And you don't need to buy the more expensive Milbar safety wire pliers to do a good job. You can go right to local Harbor Freight and get a nice pair for $9.99 (or $6.99 when they're on sale) that will do the job just fine :applause:

You don't even need to use safety wire pliers, but they do make the job quicker & eaiser, especially when installing multiple sets of grips.

• roadcam

Posted June 04, 2006 - 10:47 AM

I always used hairspray many years ago, but trying it recently, did not hold worth a damn, maybe the grip material affected it ?? ... bought some regular grip cement instead ... :applause:

• texsurfer

Posted June 04, 2006 - 10:52 AM

try a little spray paint, works great for me and is not permanent

• bil2303

Posted June 04, 2006 - 10:58 AM

So how are the grips put on at factory?? Just curious,. With wire also ?

Related Content

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

Can anyone identify this xr600 piston? by ms_mtn24

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 4 replies

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  57 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.