Google Earth

6 replies to this topic
  • weskc35k

Posted June 02, 2006 - 08:40 PM

Have any of you guys downloaded the Google Earth thing?
Hang on, while riding my XR650r the other day i was wondering if satellite mapping was available and how it would be a remarkable tool for mapping out rides and swapping ride information.
Does any of you guys ride in any of the high res areas of this system.
Is there a better system than Google .
Do anyone use it for riding.
I have a GPS but can't find it(small children) and untill it surfaces i'm using the Google thing.

• zodran

Posted June 02, 2006 - 11:01 PM

Yeah, that's the first thing I did after att/yahoo baited me with dsl. :applause:
I think it's pretty cool, I need to learn all the things you can do with it, for now I'm in awe of how you can just zoom in from world view and pick out my house.
I can't seem to pick out Bodie, CA, but got a big kick out of zooming in on 14k Mt. Antero, CO, tilting the view back, and "flying" around it. I've been up it a few times, the resolution isn't good enough to pick out the jeep trail but the North/South and elevation contours are accurate. :D

• CRF RedRider

Posted June 03, 2006 - 06:03 AM

Have any of you guys downloaded the Google Earth thing?
Hang on, while riding my XR650r the other day i was wondering if satellite mapping was available and how it would be a remarkable tool for mapping out rides and swapping ride information.
Does any of you guys ride in any of the high res areas of this system.
Is there a better system than Google .
Do anyone use it for riding.
I have a GPS but can't find it(small children) and untill it surfaces i'm using the Google thing.

I went out and bought a GPS to map our area's too. I thought I would try Google Earth, but it does give you good detail. For a little extra money you can buy your state specific from TOPO and get some really cool maps. The guys love it when I take it out and show them the map the next day. You can visualize the whole ride because the map is very detailed.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jbird710

Posted June 03, 2006 - 11:43 AM

If you search on satellite, you'll find some others out there. Only issue is they generally charge for the better resolution when you want to pinpoint a small area. Google Earth does this also. Because I'm cheap, I've never spent any money on these to see if they are worth it.

• goblin127

Posted June 03, 2006 - 12:21 PM

Thanks for the google earth tip that is cool.

• Black Mesa Offroad

Posted June 03, 2006 - 12:54 PM

I like GoogleEarth. Okay, I'm not a rider (yet, found the forum to read up on tech cause I'm buying my first bike in a few months, 4x4 is my main thing). In fact, we downloaded it at work because it can be useful in my line of work. The only problem is that I don't live in a high-res area, so looking for spots to ride is almost impossible, but I can do recon while working. I have looked up trails that I have gone wheeling on in the past in high-res areas. It's good up to a point, fortunately that point is very high.

• tomshell

Posted June 04, 2006 - 08:05 AM

I paid the 20 for google earth pro,it gives you better resolution for printing,(which I don't do)but more importantly it allows you to connect your gps and view your track on their software.The newer versions of Topo from Garmin also have a view in google earth option,and it is very cool too.So far there is no easy way to set up a ride using google earth,but I use Topo for that.....If anyone wants to check it out,I can email a google file of saved tracks that you can open in g. earth to see what it looks like.....

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.