650R boil over

5 replies to this topic
  • calxi

Posted June 02, 2006 - 07:49 PM

I bought a 2000 XR650R three months ago, drove it around the block, and then tore into it. I went on my maiden voyage today (55 miles in the Sierras, 80 degrees) and about half way into the trip we hit a rocky, rutted, technical section. After about 10 minutes of climbing and pawing at a near idle (rekluse clutch) the bike boiled over terribly. No airflow over the rad's. I've installed a 1.6 bar cap, new Napa thermostat (two small holes drilled in the flange), and Fluidyne radiators. Any input or is this typical despite my "fixes"?

• glabudde

Posted June 02, 2006 - 08:10 PM

Is the bike uncorked? Mine used to overheat quickly since the rejet there hasn't been a problem, but summer is here so I'll see pretty soon.

• calxi

Posted June 02, 2006 - 08:19 PM

Yep, uncorcked with QS carb. I did notice decel backfiring but assumed that the rekluse was promoting that. the darn thing does not disengage. No coasting. Another 650 with me didn't have a overheating issue. I don't believe water pumps go bad?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Fordskin

Posted June 03, 2006 - 03:11 AM

My bike is uncorked. It would overheat often in tight trails. I took out the thermostat because it never gets too cold where i live. That made it not overheat as much but still does sometimes. I have found that if you back out the pilot screw half or quarter turn then the problem will often go away. Problem is on the stock carb screwing out the pilot too far creates a flat spot. Its a compromise. :applause:

• jim1234

Posted June 03, 2006 - 04:56 AM

try usng engine ice

• calxi

Posted June 03, 2006 - 06:33 AM

Engine ice and working on the jetting seem to be good places to start.

Related Content

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

• Hot  40 replies

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.