wr450 oil problem

I have a 2003 wr 450 and When I run, I have oil who come in the airbox from de tube (I think it's the breather tube) who come to the head in the airbox, what can bet be the problem and when I check my oil level he is really low.

sorry for my english.

thanks

Sounds like it is over filled. Are you checking it properly per the manual? If you don't have any idea how much is in it I would drain it from the frame and crank case and see how much you get out of it. My 05 450 only takes like 1.2QT. I don't know what that is in Liters. If you don't have a manual I would get one and change the oil per the manual.

Hopefully the oil is is too full. Excessive piston ring blow-by can also cause this, but the rings would have to be very worn for that to happen. You check your oil level just after the bike has run for a couple of minutes... right?

My manual says: Set the bike level. Let it idle for 3 minuets. Shut it down. Then check the oil keeping the bike level. Do not screw the dipstick cap in, Just set it in up to the bottom of the cap threads.

I had a yz250f and I had a similiar problem. It sounds like you are overfilling the oil. When you drain the oil make sure you drain the oil in all of the recommended place that the manual suggest. If you do not then when refilling with the recommend amount you will overfill and it will come out of the breathing tube. Also, make sure you ckeck it when it is hot.

I have a 2003 wr 450 and When I run, I have oil who come in the airbox from de tube (I think it's the breather tube) who come to the head in the airbox, what can bet be the problem and when I check my oil level he is really low.

sorry for my english.

thanks

Don't worry about it mate, sounds normal to me.

With the breather tube in the airbox, you are bound to get crap in there.

I re-routed mine back down the frame near my bash plate. Solved all the problems.

Get a manual (if you don't have one) and read how to check oil level correctly.

sorry for my english.

thanks

Sounds like you overfilled your oil.

Some of us have put a tee in the breather hose towards the top of the engine. The upper hose goes to the air box and the lower hose goes down the frame as before. This allows for the hose to breath during creek crossings. Most of the oil drip will go down the frame hose.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I ve implemented the hollow "T" profile in the middle of the breather tube and connected tube 20" long to the profile.

The added tube is bent at half way down, than routed under the seat.

Its transparent, so I can monitor the amount of oil thrown out.

It seemed a lot when tube was filled 4" on the both bent sides (8" overall), but when drained, its was minor.

good one! :excuseme: just thought maybe i'd ask since i dont have that much time but i think im gonna try to go through it today.

Yes, change the oil now! The manual says to change the oil after break-in for competition service, but seems to imply that the first change is 600 miles for regular service. Change it a lot (including filters) for a while (actually forever). You see why when you see how nasty the used oil looks. :bonk: