04 YZF450 Coolant leak

5 replies to this topic
  • DRW74

Posted June 02, 2006 - 01:40 PM

If anyone could help me out with this it would be great. I've got a 04 YZF 450 with about 50-60 hours on it. I took it out last weekend and let it warm up after a few minutes coolant started coming out of the overflow then steam. Could this be becuase the bike wasn't moving? I've never seen it do this before. I checked the impeller on the water pump and it seemed fine.

• XT2YZ

Posted June 02, 2006 - 02:09 PM

It takes my '04 less than three minutes to start spitting coolant when it just sits still at idle. They need to move to stay cool. No worries.

• big t

Posted June 03, 2006 - 02:42 AM

It doesn't take long for them to overheat sitting still. Even water cooled engines need air moving across the radiators to remove heat.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • flintlock28

Posted June 03, 2006 - 05:57 AM

I agree with the other guys, I have a 2004 yz 450f also, and if I'm riding a hot day creeping thru tight woods, the bike would occasionally start spitting coolant out. I switched the coolant from standard Antifreeze/water combo to "Engine Ice", and I've never had the problem happen again. But it is normal if you idle too long, or are moving really slow, that you will get some overflow.

• DRW74

Posted June 03, 2006 - 01:13 PM

Thanks for the info. I bought some Engine Ice and I'll run that from now on. Thanks

• mxrider250br

Posted June 03, 2006 - 02:02 PM

i have a 04 yz450f 2 n last time i rode same thing happened, i changed the regular coolant to engine ice.. best stuff u can ever put in the radiator. i only start mine when im fully dressed ready to go, n i leit idle for only bout a minute, then i just go easy on it for 5 or so minutes, then i go nuts.. just dont idle for more than 2-3 minutes, itll get hot.

Related Content

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  57 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.