Bleeding brakes PLEASE help!

3 replies to this topic
  • jimbob69

Posted June 02, 2006 - 01:29 PM

I know there is TONS of bleeding brakes threads on here, I've searched and have not found the answer to my question, so here it goes.

My brakes were pretty spongy when i got the bike, left it alone.
Yesterday I put a new set of brake pads on, and I thought well while im din this i might aw well bleed them to get them nice and firm. So i took the mastercylinder cap off and topped it off, then continued to bleed my brakes by holding in the lever, then just crackin open the bleeder, then closing it again, then letting the lever out, and repeating.

I did this until my brake fluid was nice and clean coming out at the bleeder.

Turns out it didnt help AT ALL and if anything it got a little worse.

So i put a master cylinder off of a kx250 that i had layin around (witch i know worked excellent when taken off the bike) on there, and repeated what i did, it had a slightly better feel, but still crappy, so i took the caliper off and gravity bleed them while tapping the line to get bubbles movin.

no luck, next step i busted out the good ol' vaccuum bleeder with about the same luck as gravity bleedin them.

Right now i got them as good as i can get them and ive gone through almost a bottle of brake fluid with no luck, right now i have the lever ziptyed to the bar in hopes of tomorrow it firming up for me..

any ideas??

~jim~

• jamieyz426f01

Posted June 02, 2006 - 04:45 PM

if you have one of the older yz's(pre 05) then you will have to take the system off of the bike to bleed it properly as air will get caught in the stupid loop at the bottom round the forks. You can also try to leave a bungee cord on you lever holding it to the bars overnight.

sorry didn't see the part about the zip-tie :applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 426_Texan

Posted June 02, 2006 - 06:53 PM

I had the same problem with my '00 after installing a SS line and then bleeding it. I zip-tyed mine overnight and it was plenty firm by the next morning. :applause:

• jimbob69

Posted June 02, 2006 - 06:57 PM

alright i'll check it in the mornin and hopefully she'll be good.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.