8 inch headlight (HID or Halogen) on 650R

91 replies to this topic
  • Tattooart

Posted May 28, 2008 - 12:45 PM

Plus, when he rides back into camp, the dual helmet lights make it appear like an alien is attacking, kinda scary after a few beers....

:thumbsup:

• martinfan30

Posted May 28, 2008 - 06:27 PM

Those of us who were at Pigfest can vouch for Tattooart's headlight set up, it's like the sun is shining in front of his bike.
Plus, when he rides back into camp, the dual helmet lights make it appear like an alien is attacking, kinda scary after a few beers....

I thought that about the Canuck!:thumbsup:

J/K

• sportbiker929

Posted May 28, 2008 - 07:09 PM

i'm using the ricky stator 2 light setup. it uses 2 piaa 7 or so inch lights and a ricky stator rewound 200 watt stator. works for 80 mph on the interstate just fine. its a bit heavy, but i got used to it.

• XR650RSMOKEDU

Posted May 29, 2008 - 02:49 AM

Hello, I have both the Baja D 8" with HID and the Tecate. I would have to say the Tecate is pretty sweet if you ever ride on the street or connect trails at night. you can use a switch to turn off the HID and not blind everyone on the road but leave the smaller round light on. The 8 " is a little heavier but works better for high speed desert. I know this is an old thread, did you get a light?

• XR650RSMOKEDU

Posted May 29, 2008 - 02:50 AM

I don't like the helmet lights, sometimes they can disorient you if you also have a headlight on your bike.

• sactoXR

Posted June 05, 2008 - 09:00 AM

Has anyone in CA been hassled for using these lights on the street? My 650R is my dual sport mount and back-up commute bike, so the street is of first priority. I currently have a Trick Dualsport setup and the headlight leaves a lot to be desired.... I recently did a HID conversion on my BMW GS to get a useable low beam on the freeway and WOW what a difference! I will definitely lean towards HID on the 650R.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Buckrun

Posted June 05, 2008 - 10:18 AM

I've got a custom KILLER setup that you need. Obviously, you will need the Ricky Stator or equivelant to run it, but its awesome! PM me for details if interested. It's a dual light system that is bomb-proof.

• cleonard

Posted June 05, 2008 - 11:37 AM

Has anyone in CA been hassled for using these lights on the street? My 650R is my dual sport mount and back-up commute bike, so the street is of first priority. I currently have a Trick Dualsport setup and the headlight leaves a lot to be desired.... I recently did a HID conversion on my BMW GS to get a useable low beam on the freeway and WOW what a difference! I will definitely lean towards HID on the 650R.

I would not run a race light at night on the street. By definition a race light is just like a high beam. Doesn't really matter if it's HID of halogen. It will blind on coming drivers. You should have some kind of low beam setup for street use. Getting a ticket is one thing. A HID high beam could cause an accident or even a car on bike head on. Ever have an idiot leave his high beams on a two lane rural road. It sucks. A HID race klight is many times worse.

• wuzfast

Posted June 05, 2008 - 04:09 PM

I put an 8" PIAA H4 on my BRP with their 200+ watt stator. WOW. The light lists for 450.00+, but if I bought their stator(i was gunna rewind mine)They sold me the Lite WAAAY cheaper than 450.00....and threw in their regulator for free. Cool folks. Give'em a call. Does'nt dim at idle at all. High beam is awsome.

• J_T

Posted June 05, 2008 - 07:18 PM

:thumbsup:

IN the pics I assume its the helmet lights that are the hot spots directly in front of the bike and the 8" HID is way out in front? I guess you have the helmet lights aimed to shine where you look? (that would be killer in the woods when you want to look ahead of the turn before the bike light is pointing there!)

Do you have any more pics of helmet light output and details? weight of batteries? how long they last with constant usage? Can you hardwire them in to the bike? they look like they are setting mid back on the helmet so I assume you don't get any glare with them being so close to your face?

You have me interested! Thanks

• cleonard

Posted June 05, 2008 - 08:34 PM

IN the pics I assume its the helmet lights that are the hot spots directly in front of the bike and the 8" HID is way out in front? I guess you have the helmet lights aimed to shine where you look? (that would be killer in the woods when you want to look ahead of the turn before the bike light is pointing there!)

Do you have any more pics of helmet light output and details? weight of batteries? how long they last with constant usage? Can you hardwire them in to the bike? they look like they are setting mid back on the helmet so I assume you don't get any glare with them being so close to your face?

You have me interested! Thanks

John (Tatooart) doesn't spend too much time here(XR forum), so I'll do my best to answer. I was riding with him when these photos were taken. Yes you are correct in your assumption about the helmet lights. For several of those shots I was right next to him with my (wimpy) 155 watts of halogen lighting. The last photo shows it best because I was not there adding my light.

Unless you crash and smash them HID's last thousands of hours.

I don't remember for sure, but I think that they are wired into the bike. They can be setup either way. Those lights are two 13 watt HID's and they make a lot of light. At only 26 watts for two it's easy to run them with batteries.

I don't have helmet lights but I am working at a helmet setup.

Helmet lights work awesome in the singletrack. They point whre you need them. When you come around a tight corner on a mountain sometimes the bike light points off into space and you can't see anything. I need a helmet light big time.

A problem with helmet lights is low hanging branches. They can wipe them off your helmet.

• Mikie1

Posted June 10, 2008 - 11:51 AM

I pre-ran a couple years ago with just my glass-lens replacement in the stock headlight shell, running a super-white 100-watt H3 halogen bulb from Baja Designs. I ran all 200+ watts to the 100-watt light with the stock regulator. It was plenty for pre-running, but I wouldn't want to race with just one light- you need a backup in case of a failure.

This light threw out less overall than my buddy's 8" BD HID setup, but I actually liked the wide low-profile light pattern and the Halogen light better than the HID light, which seemed too reflective off the dust- kinda like being in super-bright sunlight in the snow. It seemed I could see contrast and small trail details better with the Halogen light.

I re-wound my own stator (which later failed due to too-stiff connectors in a spot where the wires needed to flex, causing the wires to break right above the connectors). I would recommend the Ricky Stator or the Baja Designs rewind if you ride where you might get caught in BFE with a bad stator...).

If I were doing another race setup, I would do another Halogen main light on the bike, with the HID's on the helmet. This way you could turn off the HID's when you get in dust, and reduce the glare/ reflection off the dust in front of you (as the bike's headlight is under your line of sight), then turn the HID's back on after you make the pass and are out of the dust. I would not run the dual side-by-sides as they are too vulnerable in a crash (been there, done that- with very bad results).

There are some pretty interesting LED lights being developed now... Anybody seen them in use on a bike?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.