8 inch headlight (HID or Halogen) on 650R

91 replies to this topic
  • MX813

Posted August 03, 2006 - 07:56 PM

My buddy with a 650 that we race often is thinking about converting from AC to DC so the idle / dimming problem goes away, allowing you to run a higher wattage bulb. So far no one has mentioned that here in this thread.

Any thoughts???

mike

• motochris

Posted August 04, 2006 - 12:14 PM

My buddy with a 650 that we race often is thinking about converting from AC to DC so the idle / dimming problem goes away, allowing you to run a higher wattage bulb. So far no one has mentioned that here in this thread.

Any thoughts???

mike

That's fine, but you still need more stator output for that to be effective.

• motochris

Posted August 04, 2006 - 12:17 PM

Yeah, that's what I was just thinking is buy the kit and use it with some knight rider handlebar lights in that night race we are having next summer.

And then for the rest of the year run a PIAA with a high/low.

Soooo...I removed my lens from my halogen light last night. They use an adaptor to make the H1 bulb work in the lens. I bet you could make one that will hold the H4 high/low bulb, and still use the same lens...just change out the bulb/adaptor. It's just a flat piece of metal with the right hole in it.

• MX813

Posted August 04, 2006 - 02:33 PM

That's fine, but you still need more stator output for that to be effective.

I know he has upgraded the stator output, but to what level, do not know. I'll find out.

mx813

• BWB63

Posted August 04, 2006 - 03:41 PM

I rewound my stator to have 80watt D/C and 120watt A/C (Duel stator), I run the LED tail light, GPS, Blinkers (when they were on the bike) off the 80 watts and the 100 wat headlight off the 120watt A/C. I have two voltage regulators and a full bridge rectifier with a large capacitor (for the 80watt D/C). I am thinking of three HID's the big center one and two smaller ones monted where they should get hit in a bad crash.

• TREADMARKS

Posted August 05, 2006 - 02:31 AM

lol.

Ok, let me rephrase that... will a 8 inch 50 watt light on the front of a dual sported 650R blind oncoming traffic when riding around town, or more importantly, when i'm heading back into my neighborhood?

Additionally, would it be obvious enough to get a cop to pull me over?

I have the 130/90 8 inch setup on my daily driver. If you use euro glass and an h4 bulb, only the top half of the reflector will iluminate on low beam, and it has a crisp cut off line in the beam that you can adjust with the knob on the trail tech.

But with the 130 watt hi beam you will surely blind the s$%# out of them. :thumbsup:

Long live the death ray :ride:

• HawkGT

Posted August 05, 2006 - 12:04 PM

Well, yesterday I installed my new 8" Baja Designs 55 watt halogen (thanks motochris--the light is perfect!). Before I was running the stock plastic lens with a PIAA H6M 35w/35w dual filament Xtreme White. My lighting coil is stock. I ran a bead of solder across the bulb's contacts so both filaments would burn in the stock lamp socket.

Posted Image

Performance was less than spectacular (really sucked, actually). Even on the road it was pretty terrible with my scratched up and hazy plastic lens. When oncoming traffic was shinning in my eyes I was thankful that I could mostly just run over whatever might be in the road that I couldn't see!

The big 8" with a 55w bulb must be literally 3x brighter. I mean, this sucker throws out a LOT of light! All I've done so far was a quick post-dawn test ride around town and the difference is striking. The angle adjustment on the light is a snap to adjust on the fly. The mounting is solid, it feels well built, and installation was a snap. I'm very impressed with the quality of light this thing puts out. I think it looks cool too...

The only drawback that was immediately obvious is the extra weight of that big reflector. My uncalibrated arm estimates the 8" BD's unit at about 5 lbs where the stock settup might be about 1 lbs. Oh well...that's why I bought a used 95' CR250R a while back...light weight was never the big XR's forte...

Here's some pics:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

So far, I love it! I can barely imagine how much lighting performance could be had with a rewound stator and a 100w+ bulb in these big reflectors...

• motochris

Posted August 05, 2006 - 01:24 PM

Nice...makes ya look faster too!

• TrailTech

Posted August 08, 2006 - 10:08 PM

Thunderchicken,

I run an 8" on my plated KTM full time. In the winter we ride at night several days/week and use roads to get to/from the trails. The 8" HID makes oncoming drivers VERY mad. Simply put, if your lights are pleasent for oncoming traffic, they are garbage for off-road use. I would expect a cop would be less than pleased if he saw you coming at him with an 8" HID.

KDXpert,

I am not sure who told you our lights will not handle vibration buit you can use this post as a lifetime guarantee our Helmet HID's will not fail from vibration or break. We ride these light and beat the shi* out of them, they work perfect.

You may note both us and niterider use Solarc lamps. The difference is in the mounting - this is personal preference. Niterider runs the lamp at 10 watts, we run it at 13 watts. The 30% overdrive drops the lamp life from 1,000 hours to 600 hours. The difference in brightness is significant. 600 hours is a lot of night riding.

Our lights are less expensive because we run on minimal margins. Not being based in CA probably helps too.

Geoff@trailtech.net

• thouk

Posted August 09, 2006 - 04:43 AM

Geoff,
Is there a bulb or new lense that can be put into your eight inch mount that would be street legal? I need the high and low beam for the amount of dual purpose riding that I do. Could it be an option for future models? Thanks, Tony

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • HappyCurmudgeon

Posted August 09, 2006 - 05:09 AM

To the best of my knowledge, the bulb isnt what makes the thing "DOT" legal. The "DOT" stamp (raised lettering, whichever) needs to be stamped into the plastic of the lamp body, or molded into the lens. I believe that is what the kind officer would be looking for when determining legality (if the flippin moron wants to look headfirst into a running 55/60 silverstar bulb, the pleasure would be all mine to comply :thumbsup: )

• thouk

Posted August 09, 2006 - 07:07 AM

Happy,
What I am looking for is the ability to go from high to low beam. It would at least somewhat make the police happier. That is what I am at least hoping for. Tony

• HappyCurmudgeon

Posted August 09, 2006 - 07:45 AM

Ah,

Sorry, i misunderstood.

I cant see where it says (unless i am blind *L*) but if it is an H4 bulb, then you could wire it up for Hi/Lo without to much trouble.

• drop

Posted October 19, 2006 - 04:35 PM

Does anyone make a fairing or number plate for use with a single 8 inch light?

• husky123

Posted May 27, 2008 - 11:15 AM

I dug this one up because I just put my custom rock guard on. I dig it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

• infsqdldr

Posted May 27, 2008 - 12:20 PM

I dug this one up because I just put my custom rock guard on. I dig it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

and you thought dogs chased you before. thats one thing i liked better about the baja designs, made a rock guard. dont know why trailtech and ricky stator dont. you could probably find some clear lexan somewhere and rig it up just like you got it now, if you did not want to have to remove it.

• philipstjohn

Posted May 27, 2008 - 03:42 PM

Another low budget option- if your running a BD's street kit already, you can rewind your stator, then run a PIAA 80/80 with good results in the BD's light lense, and then you will be ready to upgrade if you need more light offroad.:thumbsup:

• Tattooart

Posted May 28, 2008 - 11:48 AM

here is my bike with 8" BD HID racelight and trailtech Dual MR11 helmet lights.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Those pics will give you a idea of what the spread is like.

• martinfan30

Posted May 28, 2008 - 12:31 PM

Wow, that would be the difference for me riding at night...:thumbsup:

• Agent2

Posted May 28, 2008 - 12:36 PM

Those of us who were at Pigfest can vouch for Tattooart's headlight set up, it's like the sun is shining in front of his bike.
Plus, when he rides back into camp, the dual helmet lights make it appear like an alien is attacking, kinda scary after a few beers....

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 8 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.