8 inch headlight (HID or Halogen) on 650R

91 replies to this topic
  • motochris

Posted June 29, 2006 - 04:07 PM

the dual 8in halogen or single?

If dual I'm interested.

Email Chris @ chris@blaisracingservices.com , tell him Motochris mentioned a discount on Baja Designs....he may do more than the 10%.

• XR4DEZ

Posted June 30, 2006 - 01:49 PM

The 8" single from BD and rewind is a good purchase, if you like riding at night. It puts out plenty of light and is easily adjusted. There is light enough to go fast and it's a nice wide circle beam. Even adjusted about 10 degrees up from parallel with the light frame there is light in front and a good 50 yards out.

• XR4DEZ

Posted July 02, 2006 - 02:14 PM

A good thing to do while installing the wiring is to put new connectors on the bullet ends of the stock harness. Especially if you're a little overboard on keeping your bike clean. Washing corrodes the wiring ends and you could have grounding problems.

• motochris

Posted July 05, 2006 - 11:58 AM

My UPS delivery today....

Posted Image

• XR4DEZ

Posted July 05, 2006 - 08:15 PM

lookin good

• motochris

Posted July 29, 2006 - 08:43 AM

2 of those light kits were for a buddy who now needs to sell them. Still in the package. They are wired to plug into an XR650R stock lighting harness, though they'll work on anything. They come with the optional $25 lexan light gaurd as well. 55 watt bulbs, so they will work off the stock lighting coil. Quick release and SUPER nice. He wants $215 each. Baja Designs price with the shields is $250 each. PM me if interested.

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted July 29, 2006 - 09:22 PM

WOW, man what a light setup :ride: :cry: . I wish I could have that soo much.

Tell me this...if I was gonna use it a few times for practice/fun, but mainly only for one 24 hour race...do you think that the HID setup is worth the $1000? I mean that sounds like alot...but if it is really that much better and safer, its worth it. I could sell it after the race if I wouldnt need it much anymore. I will probably end up going for all halogen this year though. Im a little short on $$$

If you can, take pics of what the lights do at night, if they will show up very good at all. The headlight and the helmetlight :thumbsup: that would be sweet. If I went for full-out HID lights, thats exactly what I would get. :ride:

There is NO comparison to HID. Halogen is more power hungey watt for watt, and the quality, coloure, and ammount of light is not anywhere near an HID. But, I have a Ceibie Super Oscar on my desert bike with a 50 watt H1 in it and it kicks ass. I saw a guy with a little bitty like 3 in round HID on a Tecate and it was as good as the ammount of light my super oscar put out and was 30 watts. I may put the HID in the super oscar, and get an 8in round Baja light for my supermoto in HID whenh I can afford it. The HIDs only drawback is the cost!

• motochris

Posted July 30, 2006 - 11:10 AM

2 of those light kits were for a buddy who now needs to sell them. Still in the package. They are wired to plug into an XR650R stock lighting harness, though they'll work on anything. They come with the optional $25 lexan light gaurd as well. 55 watt bulbs, so they will work off the stock lighting coil. Quick release and SUPER nice. He wants $215 each. Baja Designs price with the shields is $250 each. PM me if interested.

1 sold....1 left.

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted July 31, 2006 - 09:23 AM

1 sold....1 left.

Which light kit we talking about here MotoChris? I may be interested in the last one...

• motochris

Posted July 31, 2006 - 09:52 AM

Which light kit we talking about here MotoChris? I may be interested in the last one...

The wazoo 8in. halogen Baja Designs racelight.
Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • motochris

Posted July 31, 2006 - 10:24 AM

Lights are sold.....thanks.

• mikekay

Posted August 01, 2006 - 01:12 AM

Another vote for HID's over halogen. A couple years ago i wasnt so sure--but now--HID has evolved nicely.

I'm surprised no one mentioned the www.rickystator.com lights--very good value. Or the nice and light BD Tecate HID light-most guys first choice for stuff like Last Man Standing or 24 Hours Glen Helen.

Those dual 8" halogens are getting a bit dated--just too heavy and bulky IMO.

I now run the lights on top of each other. Really like it. Especially when on the front break, the forks might go down--but theres still light on the trail.

Oh--one more thing--consider adding a vent to your stator on the 650r. They get water in them (condensate), shorting the system over time.

Also surprised no debate about single or dual (or three) phase stator options.
I run a 3 phase system with some AC and some DC. Not for everyone--but there are some advantages if you run GPS, roadbooks, etc.

• BWB63

Posted August 02, 2006 - 08:28 AM

You can buy after market HID and adapt the Halogen light over to HID. You have to move the base of the HID light further in (almost flush). Other then that you would have the same setup just costs less in the end. David Gray did this in his last Baja Race and it worked great.

• ThunderChicken

Posted August 02, 2006 - 03:03 PM

Are the 8 inch 50 watt lights from trail tech and baja designs DOT legal?

• motochris

Posted August 02, 2006 - 03:34 PM

No.....now quit sweatin' the DOT stuff will ya!

• ThunderChicken

Posted August 03, 2006 - 07:23 AM

lol.

Ok, let me rephrase that... will a 8 inch 50 watt light on the front of a dual sported 650R blind oncoming traffic when riding around town, or more importantly, when i'm heading back into my neighborhood?

Additionally, would it be obvious enough to get a cop to pull me over?

• motochris

Posted August 03, 2006 - 09:39 AM

lol.

Ok, let me rephrase that... will a 8 inch 50 watt light on the front of a dual sported 650R blind oncoming traffic when riding around town, or more importantly, when i'm heading back into my neighborhood?

Additionally, would it be obvious enough to get a cop to pull me over?

It could if it were aimed where you'de want it. You could always aim it down some when you come into town. The big knob on top makes it easy. OR, just make a similiar setup with an 8in. H4 setup. I used to have a set of 8in. PIAA's that had high/low beam.
Me personally, I'm gonna run one on my dualsported KTM. I don't plan to ride around town at night much anyway.

• ThunderChicken

Posted August 03, 2006 - 01:46 PM

It could if it were aimed where you'de want it. You could always aim it down some when you come into town. The big knob on top makes it easy. OR, just make a similiar setup with an 8in. H4 setup. I used to have a set of 8in. PIAA's that had high/low beam.
Me personally, I'm gonna run one on my dualsported KTM. I don't plan to ride around town at night much anyway.

What would I run as the cage? Does Trail Tech or BD sell just the cage by itself?

• motochris

Posted August 03, 2006 - 03:09 PM

What would I run as the cage? Does Trail Tech or BD sell just the cage by itself?

Yea, the cage, receivers, are about $155. Add another $17 for the adjuster knob. You'de need to add 2 small tabs to the outside of the light you use, so it'de be best if you bought a metal framed light. All in all not real cheap. I'de just go with the whole light kit and swap out the light itself if you find you really want the high/low capability.

• ThunderChicken

Posted August 03, 2006 - 03:35 PM

Yeah, that's what I was just thinking is buy the kit and use it with some knight rider handlebar lights in that night race we are having next summer.

And then for the rest of the year run a PIAA with a high/low.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.