8 inch headlight (HID or Halogen) on 650R

91 replies to this topic
  • KDXpert

Posted June 16, 2006 - 04:30 PM

good point. i think ill just go with halogens. Its not like me or my team members are pro racers, so its not that big of a deal. As long as we can turn laps at night while being safe.

• SMOKE

Posted June 17, 2006 - 07:35 AM

ill take some pictures of the light/helmet light and then a dual HID setup also. (if they show up good.)

the helmet light runs for about the 120 (4400 battery) that trail tech says it does if you get the dual get the bigger battery if you get the single you could go with the smaller and it will work fine.

as far as halogen/hid its user preference. steve heng likes halogen over hid because of the "darkness" of the light compared to the hid. just rider preference.

thanks for all the comments on my bike ive worked reeeeeally hard to get it to the point that it is at....

now only if i had tallent to go with it :excuseme: :bonk: :busted:

• motochris

Posted June 17, 2006 - 08:18 AM

ill take some pictures of the light/helmet light and then a dual HID setup also. (if they show up good.)

the helmet light runs for about the 120 (4400 battery) that trail tech says it does if you get the dual get the bigger battery if you get the single you could go with the smaller and it will work fine.

I've gone back and forth a number of times over what to get for helmet lights. The Trailtechs seem like a good combo, with the flood and pencil beams. I did the last MRAN night race and was wishing for helmet lights something fierce. The 1st 1/2 of the loop had sooooo many left/right/left combos, and you just couldn't see through the corners with the bikes light itself. Made it so you come out of a corner soft, only to see that you coulda stayed on the throttle as it was more of a bend than corner. Happened a bunch of times. I noticed I tended to target fixate alot as well, as the only place I could see was right in front of me.
Let me know more of what you think of the Trailtechs.

• Mikie1

Posted June 17, 2006 - 01:28 PM

First of all, unless you're doing strictly road riding or in no-dust situations where there's no possibility of a crash, stay away from the dual 8" setups. Way to succeptible to damage in a crash, heavy, and unless the frames are built hell-for-stout (again, heavy), they tend to shake around & break.

I spent two days walking around South of San Ignacio after getting lost in the '04 1000, thanks to our super-duper Baja Designs dual HID setup.

I pre-ran at last year's 1000 with a 100-watt bulb in my stock/ glass-lens replacement light I bought from Baja Designs. My buddy and I rode the coast section out of Valley T. He had the BD single 8" HID and dual HID helmet lights. I actually liked my setup better, especially for the $$. I don't care for the blinding white light; in really white dirt you get the "snowblind" effect- can't see small differences in contrast (i.e., rocks embedded in the dirt), and for some reason the dust is much more reflective of the whiter light, hindering visibility MUCH worse than with the halogen light. This is where I think too much light is a BAD thing. The stock/ glass lens seems to throw out a fairly wide, low beam pattern that doesn't illuminate the dust above the beam as much.

I rewound my own stator (15 ga wire, 4 layers deep) and my light is REALLY bright. I'm still using the stock regulator, too, with no problems so far, two years running. I personally think the 8" light with a 100-watt halogen bulb would be the best setup. I liked the helmet lights a lot (beam didn't bounce around and goes where you point your head), and with dual lights you can spread them out a bit for better peripheral vision. I'd run halogens there, too, and put an easy-to-reach switch on 'em so you can turn 'em off when you get in dust.

WHATEVER you do, make sure your light guard comes off easily so you can wipe your lens off. My buddy rode with Barnum & didn't realize his headlight was so covered with dirt he couldn't see-- he didn't think about cleaning off the lens; his rock guard was zip-tied on. Once the lens guard got cut off and the light cleaned, he said it was a whole new ballgame.

Just my 2-cents worth...

• mjlang

Posted June 17, 2006 - 02:04 PM

I've been riding/racing with Baja D lights for years and they are reliable and well built. If you are looking for night desert/trail riding I would buy a Tecate or Diablo light. Half the cost and are good for up to 50 or 60 mph off-road. The 8" is good for racing and if you're really flush with cash, get the double oscars. All of your friends will think "you da man" with those bad boys.

The jury is still out on HID or Halogen. Team Honda likes halogen because they are easier on your eyes at night. The HID's turn night in to day; clean white light but your night vision will suffer especially with the double oscars. The smaller lights are OK though. I'm an HID fan BTW.

I've had the Trailtech computers on my bike for years. They are really nice but computers are garbage. I've destroyed 20 of them... I'll steer away from the high-dollar stuff that has not been Baja proven.

For any HID set up you will need to upgrade your stator/regulator. Its about 90 bucks to have Baja D do it. They will sell you all the harness stuff you need, its a breeze to install. I've had a friend install Elecrtex stators on is bike and they grenaded very quickly; I'd stay with Honda parts and pay someone to rewind it.

• HawkGT

Posted June 17, 2006 - 02:11 PM

I'm pretty much set on an 8" halogen but I can't decide between the BD or Trailtech. I was pretty set on the Trailtech but then started hearing more possitives for the BD. Anymore comments on BD vs. Trialtech??

• TREADMARKS

Posted June 17, 2006 - 04:03 PM

I'm pretty much set on an 8" halogen but I can't decide between the BD or Trailtech. I was pretty set on the Trailtech but then started hearing more possitives for the BD. Anymore comments on BD vs. Trialtech??

I'm gonna have to with my original post.

It is a solid reliable system, and I be the replacement lenses are cheaper and eaiser to get.

Re: 8 inch headlight (HID or Halogen) on 650R

The trail tech used hella glass and can be had in 3 different styles.

Styles available are euro, pencil and fog. I have all 3 but prefer the euro for street and pencil for open areas and off road.

They come equiped with a H1 bulb which is available in 55, 100, 110, and 130 watt ratings.

I modified my lens and reflector so that it would use an H4 bulb and use the 130/90 hella bulb.

I don't know what will work with the other light setups, but I have a blast with my death ray from trail tech.

Treadmarks

• KDXpert

Posted June 20, 2006 - 07:43 PM

Anybody here have any opinions about Trailtech HID helmetlights vs. Niterider helmetlight? Baja Designs said that the Nite rider is much more durable, that the Trailtech is not vibration dampened and they break easily. Anybody know anything about this. Niterider sure is more expensive...$200 for trailtech single w/ battery,charger vs. $400 niterider single w/ battery, charger

Is it worth $200?!?! I could buy a second trailtech for that! :excuseme:

• motochris

Posted June 21, 2006 - 08:44 AM

Anybody here have any opinions about Trailtech HID helmetlights vs. Niterider helmetlight? Baja Designs said that the Nite rider is much more durable, that the Trailtech is not vibration dampened and they break easily. Anybody know anything about this. Niterider sure is more expensive...$200 for trailtech single w/ battery,charger vs. $400 niterider single w/ battery, charger

Is it worth $200?!?! I could buy a second trailtech for that! :bonk:

Yea, I'de like more "real world" info on helmet lights too. Should probably start a fresh thread for that. You start one here, I'll head for the "General" section. Meet back here later. :excuseme:

• Triple B

Posted June 21, 2006 - 02:24 PM

Yea, I'de like more "real world" info on helmet lights too. Should probably start a fresh thread for that. You start one here, I'll head for the "General" section. Meet back here later. :excuseme:

Somebody did yesterday
http://www.thumperta...57&parentpage=4

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • motochris

Posted June 21, 2006 - 03:16 PM

That was an update to an old thread though. I found decent info at KTMTalk.
Looks like Cyclops has a nice inexpensive halogen setup that may be worth considering. Only like $110 for the hardwire version.
I'm also getting ready to order a couple Baja Designs 8in. halogen Race lights. Blais Racing is gonna do me 10% off BD's prices if anybody else is interested.

• XR4DEZ

Posted June 28, 2006 - 06:33 PM

Putting on a BD single(halogen) and stator tonight for a little Baja run tomorrow. Their light looks pretty sano and the stator is a piece of art.Need to figure out how to make a good rock guard now, any suggestions would be appreciated. thanx

• HawkGT

Posted June 28, 2006 - 06:43 PM

Putting on a BD single(halogen) and stator tonight for a little Baja run tomorrow. Their light looks pretty sano and the stator is a piece of art.Need to figure out how to make a good rock guard now, any suggestions would be appreciated. thanx

Keep us posted. I'm anxious to hear your impressions. Did you go with the 100w bulb?

• XR4DEZ

Posted June 28, 2006 - 08:44 PM

Yep, the 100 watt seemed the way to go. Couldn't get the stator installed tonight, have to take the side cover to the shop tomorrow and mill a spot for the wires on the stator to rest in. The new wire pkg. is larger and requires a little more space than the stock wires. The Ricky Stator does not require this mod, I just installed one for a buddy with a pair of 100 watt lamps. There is a significant difference between the Ricky unit and the BD rewound stator. The BD unit is all epoxy coated and has heavier guage wires. The light went on easily and the hardware supplied fit well without any cussing. Just have to McGyver a rock guard. I don't want to break a bulb, if I take a good roost hit.

• HawkGT

Posted June 29, 2006 - 12:51 PM

Any experience with Electrex stators? They appear to be fully coated:

Posted Image

• motochris

Posted June 29, 2006 - 02:01 PM

I've been told by a couple Baja "big wigs" that the Baja Designs rewind of a stock coil is the ONLY way to go, as it doesn't modify the stock ignition coil. With the Ricky Stator, and the Electrex, it's a different ignition coil altogether. With the Ricky Stator, if the lighting coil goes out, so does the ignition. Not so with the Baja Designs unit. You still have the stone reliablility of the stock Honda ignition coil.

• HawkGT

Posted June 29, 2006 - 02:45 PM

I've been told by a couple Baja "big wigs" that the Baja Designs rewind of a stock coil is the ONLY way to go, as it doesn't modify the stock ignition coil. With the Ricky Stator, and the Electrex, it's a different ignition coil altogether. With the Ricky Stator, if the lighting coil goes out, so does the ignition. Not so with the Baja Designs unit. You still have the stone reliablility of the stock Honda ignition coil.

Interesting--although I don't fully understand it. I thought the exciter coil was always a different winding than the lighting coils. How can they be on the same circuit? I'm not saying they can't, I just don't understand how that works.

• Supplicate

Posted June 29, 2006 - 03:21 PM

I'm also getting ready to order a couple Baja Designs 8in. halogen Race lights. Blais Racing is gonna do me 10% off BD's prices if anybody else is interested.

the dual 8in halogen or single?

If dual I'm interested.

• cleonard

Posted June 29, 2006 - 03:25 PM

I have a BD high output stator. My ignition coil went out. I rewound it myself a couple of years ago.

• motochris

Posted June 29, 2006 - 03:59 PM

I have a BD high output stator. My ignition coil went out. I rewound it myself a couple of years ago.

Actually, that's common on an XR600, they are known for going through stators. I'm refering to the 650R.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.