05 WR450 or CRF450X

23 replies to this topic
  • 150 Fuelie

Posted June 02, 2006 - 06:47 AM

I was leaning towards the WR but found a great deal on the Honda. Can you guys give me honest opinions on how the two compare?
Thanks.

• Matty05

Posted June 02, 2006 - 07:25 AM

Well, stock the Honda has more bottom and signs off way too early and yamaha has a fluffy bottom end, punchy mid range that keeps on pulling all the way to the top.
The Honda is a bit lighter and handles a bit better.
Reliability is no contest - Yamaha all the way, always has been.

Both bikes need jetting and a race pipe to be anything half way respectable.

The Yamaha is really dated compared to the Honda, but that all changes with the new model coming out soon. Just compare an '06 YZF450 to a '06 CRF450 to
get the picture. The YZF kicks ass! You cannot even comprehend the improvement the '06 YZF is over the '05 YZF. That is what we are all waiting on with the '07 WR450. That and the rumored fuel injection.

I would definately wait till Oct - Nov untill the '07's come out and slap down some cash on a new blue. If you must buy now, I would still buy blue, pure and simply because of reliability. Honda has not got a good record at all with the 450x, like weak gear boxes for starters. Yamaha has no problems at all. Bad valves scared me way off Honda long ago. But that is just me.

• clark4131

Posted June 02, 2006 - 07:33 AM

They are so close that it really comes down to personal opinion. Some like the Honda for the aluminum frame, while others prefer the Yamaha for its powerful 5-valve engine and so on, and so on. Be prepared, you're going to get a lot of extreme opinions on this topic. As far as my choice, I went with the WR for three reasons...

1. At the time of purchase, the CRF-X hadn't come out yet.
2. The CRF engine in the 450R had a reputation for needing what I felt was excessive valve and piston maintenance. Since the X engine was thought to be a direct derivative of the R, I was skeptical.
3. The price on the WR I bought was right...$6100 OTD

I have a couple of buddies who have X's that I ride with regularly and when we've swapped bikes, it's little nuances that are apparent, mainly ergos and a different center of gravity. I really can't detect any glaring differences with regard to power or suspension. Furthermore, their reliability has been every bit as good as my WR and dialing them in has been fraught with as many pitfalls as well. Bottom line: Get the one you like and have fun :applause: ...SC

• gmoss357

Posted June 02, 2006 - 08:32 AM

I was leaning towards the WR but found a great deal on the Honda. Can you guys give me honest opinions on how the two compare?
Thanks.

I would worry about resale on the Honda, unless the deal is good enough. With the reliability of the Honda in question, the resale value would be expected to be less. How much better of a deal is it and will future 'maintenance' negate it? These are things to ask yourself.

PS. I hammered my WR for 3 years without one single problem or adjustment needed.

• Thom_McNabb

Posted June 02, 2006 - 09:03 AM

Luckily you are stuck between two great choices.

I am the proud owner of an 05 WR450. Great bike, plenty of power on tap, comfy, good suspension.

This being said I think a Honda would be very comparable and better in some aspects not as good in others but pretty much a wash.

The big advantage of Yamaha would be reliability, although I don’t think the Honda is as bad as some might think.

If you have a good Honda dealer and aren’t going to put 20K miles on the bike go for the Honda. If you are going to going to put many hundreds of hours on the machine and have a better Yamaha dealer you will save money in the long run with the WR.

• bandit99

Posted June 02, 2006 - 09:03 AM

Both are great bikes. I went with Yamaha for reliability. My neighbor has a CRF450 and he is working on it more than I do. He has had to do valves several times. Either bike will take a bit of tweaking before you are comfortable. I think if you are ok with working on a bike the CR is ok.

• TWILES

Posted June 02, 2006 - 10:07 AM

I don't know anything about the CRF X. I DO know that a " great deal " on a Honda isn't really a great deal. I got my TRX450R " on sale " for $5200 with a msrp of over $6000. The Yamaha YFZ's were selling at msrp everywhere. For the money the Yamaha would have been the better buy. With the $1000 I saved on the Honda, I figured it up to be around $3500 in work to get it to the STOCK Yamaha after I got it home. Most of that was motorwork and the rest was shock rebuilding. I passed it on to my wife and went and got my WR. I've lost all faith in Honda after that. I didn't have a whole lot in the first place.

• 150 Fuelie

Posted June 02, 2006 - 10:22 AM

Based on the responses I have recieved on the Yamaha Forum a WR it will be. I appreciate the feedback guys. I posted the same question on the honda forum and all I got was; "one is blue and the other is red", "One is faster and needs intake valves" and "I can explain the search feature to you"

• clark4131

Posted June 02, 2006 - 10:35 AM

This board is another great perk of WR ownership. Before buying my WR, I had never seen such and incredible source of knowledge accompanied by an equally incredible willingness to help. Hell, I just posted here this morning looking for advice on a Honda cruiser I just bought...SC

• gmoss357

Posted June 02, 2006 - 10:44 AM

Based on the responses I have recieved on the Yamaha Forum a WR it will be. I appreciate the feedback guys. I posted the same question on the honda forum and all I got was; "one is blue and the other is red", "One is faster and needs intake valves" and "I can explain the search feature to you"

Bitter is a hard taste to get rid of. :applause: :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ARin

Posted June 02, 2006 - 10:48 AM

i have noticed that there seems to be a large gap in the quality of posts and resonses between the honda pages, and the yamaha pages.

• whoops dude

Posted June 02, 2006 - 10:51 AM

i have noticed that there seems to be a large gap in the quality of posts and resonses between the honda pages, and the yamaha pages.

indeed there is.

• whoops dude

Posted June 02, 2006 - 10:55 AM

well I have an 05 wr450f. all we had to do was rejet it because it was way too lean and since then it runs like a champ couldn't ask for a better bike. I don't know for sure cause ive never ridden one but some say the crfx has a hard hit almost like the 450r motocross version so its not slow single track friendly but like i said i'm not 100% positive.

• ARin

Posted June 02, 2006 - 11:32 AM

i can say from experiece that the 04 wr has a much more agressive powerband than the 05 crfx. also, that the crfx low center of gravity gives it a bit of an advantage in tighter, slower terrain. However the 05/06 wr has a very similar feel to the 05 crfx, but i dont have more than a few minutes of saddle time on an 06 wr

• old man dan

Posted June 02, 2006 - 11:47 AM

I've always had Hondas before but went with the WR after reading all the info I could find about both. After the free mods, rejetting (JD kit) and first a promoto billet (quiet)and now a YZF exhaust (a little loud but lighter and better bottom end) I couldn't ask for a better bike. Almost 3000 kms (1800 miles) of quad trail and single track in tight woods, about 10 oil changes, one valve adjust (2 out of 5 valves) 3 rear tires 2 fronts no other parts whatsoever.

• markvfr

Posted June 02, 2006 - 12:28 PM

I also had the same dilemma between the two bikes, and also I have always ridden Honda bikes (street mind you). But, the 450X being the first year in production (05) and not having all the issues worked out (ie tranny etc) I went with the proven and reliable WR. I got the 06 WR for $200 cheaper than the 05 450X so that was a no brainer as well. I have about 700km on mine, no mechanical problems yet, just injuries to it that I unmercifully exposed the bike to. :applause: (misaligned front wheel which was corrected with triple clamp treatment, bent front left radiator even with rad braces, bad gash in the clutch cover from brake pedal).

I love my WR especially the enduro computer. :prof:

:D

• internetguy

Posted June 02, 2006 - 01:43 PM

For me purchase cost wasn't that big of an issue, but I bought a WR450 because of it's better reputation for reliability. It was also about a grand less than a 450X.

I really like the 450X and it's what convinced me to sell my XR600, but after a pretty careful eval, it's the WR that sits in my garage. I think the 450X is a neat bike and one I might buy in the future, but I'm sure happy with the WR, no doubt about that.

I've just about finished reassembling the WR. Took the entire back half of the bike apart to check the suspension load bearing points for lube etc. What a nice piece of engineering, I must say. Design, fit and finish is absolutely top notch. Terrific that we can all buy something so well thought out; it'll last for years and years with minimum maintenance.

My .02 cents-

Neil.

• odonnks

Posted June 02, 2006 - 02:05 PM

And if you haven't yet, take time to read this..
http://www.motorcycl...eID=3319&Page=1

• 150 Fuelie

Posted June 02, 2006 - 06:40 PM

And if you haven't yet, take time to read this..
http://www.motorcycl...eID=3319&Page=1

Excellent read :applause:

• JimdogWR450

Posted June 02, 2006 - 07:54 PM

I had the same dilemma this year crfx or wrf. I wanted the honda, my brother has 1 and I love riding it.. Until the hard starting began, then constant valve adjustments/shims, and difficulty getting to the carb and air cleaner. So I started asking my local honda dealerships mechanics, they all said the same thing Tranny problems, valve problems and top ends "pistons". Then I started looking at all the posts here.. So to make a long story short. I have an 06 wr450 and love it, easy maintenance, hauls a$$, great suspension. I can live without the aluminum frame for a couple more years...

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.