Just Picked Up 06YZ450...

13 replies to this topic
  • 02YZ426

Posted June 02, 2006 - 05:11 AM

I just stepped up from a YZ426 and this new 450 is awsome.. Night and day difference. I am having some trouble with the chain on it though. After reading threads stating how garbage the stock chains are, I managed to talk the dealer into giving me a better one with the new bike. Its a EK Quadra X-ring and the master link is pretty snug through the chain guide. Can I just run the bike like this and let the chain wear itself into the guide or is this chain no good? Also, how long should I run the break in oil? I already have about an hour on it. I have to say, I am pretty impressed with this bike, I think this machine will make me a better rider. The only thing I think Yamaha could have done better is fit and finish on the aluminum frame. Some of the welds are rough and weld splatter in places. Other than that its awsome. Did anyone get a SPARES kit with their new 450?? My dealer said that it didn't come with one this year, but my 426 did back in 02. Thanks

• xcape

Posted June 02, 2006 - 07:00 AM

it should wear in.....change oil after first ride......no such thing as break in oil on your new bike.......spares--spark plug wrench needle tool spoke tool.

• 702rider

Posted June 02, 2006 - 09:09 AM

congrats.

• Lemay427

Posted June 02, 2006 - 10:21 AM

congrats on the new bike..the new 450s are really nice

• yamahacrazy_310

Posted June 02, 2006 - 10:23 AM

You might need to change the jetting.....and the tires suck to.

• 02YZ426

Posted June 02, 2006 - 01:06 PM

You might need to change the jetting.....and the tires suck to.

I think the jetting does need changed... alot on popping on decel, and the front tire does seem pretty crappy. The back tire hooks up pretty good though.

• bullpen58

Posted June 02, 2006 - 01:55 PM

I think the jetting does need changed... alot on popping on decel, and the front tire does seem pretty crappy. The back tire hooks up pretty good though.

the first thing you should do ... well, you did that (the chain). the next thing you need is a new pilot screw that can be adjusted while the bike is running. they all cost around $20.00 and several companies make them including ZIP TY RACING, MSR, MOOSE, and .... some others i can't remember. they're all good and do the same thing.

that one guy said the right thing about the oil change (after first ride). so one hour is plenty of time. go ahead and change the oil.

i don't know what a "spares kit" is, but mine only came w/ the things that same guy mentioned.

congrats on getting a bad azz bike (just like me!). hee hee. have fun dude.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yamahacrazy_310

Posted June 02, 2006 - 02:50 PM

Change the jetting to 48 pilot and 170 main and it will be fine and the back tire wears off fast.

Carb is a pain in the a$$ to get to

• 02YZ426

Posted June 02, 2006 - 03:14 PM

I just adjusted the fuel screw from 2 1/4 to 2 3/4 and alot of the popping went away... so I am just going to leave the jetting alone for now.

Is it just me or are these machines deafening loud? My 426 wasn't this loud and when I get off the bike my ears are ringing. Doesn't really bug me cause it sounds wicked viscous but with all the talk about noise closing down tracks and all :applause:

The power on this machine is crazy! I changed the front sprocket to a 14T to calm it down a bit so the power is more trackable. I like much better now and I don't run out of gears quite as fast. Anyone else do this yet?

Suspension is VERY stiff even with me on it and I weigh in at 185 pounds. Hopefully it breaks in just a little more. This machine is going to handle some big ass jumps no problem. I could go on and on about this bike but I wont cause everyone here already knows this new beast is the shit.

• yamahacrazy_310

Posted June 02, 2006 - 04:47 PM

Just be carful on the 450 cause it will throw your ass off.....just look at my avatar.

• 02YZ426

Posted June 02, 2006 - 05:02 PM

Just be carful on the 450 cause it will throw your ass off.....just look at my avatar.

Ya no kidding.. that really sucks. Did you get her fixed up yet? And are you still in one piece? Thats why I went to a 14 tooth front sprocket, to tame her down just a tad.

• stock510

Posted June 03, 2006 - 01:25 AM

Hey,

Congrats on the new bike, i picked up the same bike only 3 days ago.......................how good is it :applause:

It is a wheelie monster. Being at sea level and reading about the stock jetting, it definately has A LOT of popping on closed throttle but have put in the 170 main jet and am waiting on the 48 pilot and hopefully all should be good.

Have fun

Luke

• jamiehughes

Posted June 04, 2006 - 10:25 AM

make sure you change the fork oil right away also, put my heavier springs in after one weekend of riding and my fork oil looked like used motor oil already after probably only 2 hours on it. probably gonna have to take your swing arm and linkage apart also as i took mine apart and there sure wasn't much grease in there,lubed her up good and she's ready to go.

• yamahacrazy_310

Posted June 04, 2006 - 11:07 AM

Ya no kidding.. that really sucks. Did you get her fixed up yet? And are you still in one piece? Thats why I went to a 14 tooth front sprocket, to tame her down just a tad.

Found a pipe on e-bay for $15 my back fender and axle bolt will be in some time this week then all I need is bars.....I think I'm going to get a gripper seat to.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.