How much power is normal??

18 replies to this topic
  • tenyart

Posted June 01, 2006 - 07:39 PM

Hello Everyone, My 06 wr450 easily wheelies 1st thrugh 3rd. I have to yank up in 4th gear and 5th ain't happening. I have done all the free mods and am looking hard at accelerator pump mods. But my question is, is there still a bunch of power left to tap with the stock muffler modified (unplugged & minus spark arrester). I've had the carb off 5-6 times playing around with needles/clip position and jet sizes to maximise A/F curve (JD Jet Kit & fuel screw). Will or should it pull up on one wheel in 4th or 5th gear? I don't want to waste a bunch of time tuning without a dynometer if there isn't much left to get. I know some of out there have tuned for ultimate power and performance. Also I have been running 93 octane gas. I am going to get some 95 octane, but some guys I've talked to say I'm crazy for not running/mixing leaded race gas.Thanks for your advice.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted June 01, 2006 - 09:47 PM

wow, you are getting wheelies from 1-3 easy and in 4 with a tug. But no 5th, huh?

Are you trying to measure your wheelies or are you simply using the wheelie to determine if you've tapped into all of the power?

There could be other factors at play, a dyno would surely tell you everything.

• pkcof

Posted June 01, 2006 - 10:45 PM

the stock muffler is pretty crap really - any decent aftermarket pipe will give you a noticeable increase (not necessarily major, but noticeable), unfortunately sometimes noise is a factor that some of us aren't able to escape. I have a GYT-R pipe and with a little nudge the front wheel will lift in 4th as you describe. Lucky for me the noise of this pipe is of no concern where i ride - probably 98db+ i reckon. There's always areas where you can increase/modify and shift the power around in the rev range but i like to have tractable/predictable power that's fun and controllable in the tight stuff as well as being able to scream on the fire roads. Don't go looking for motocross bike in a WR - if that's your aim then just buy a YZ.
my 2cents ...

• Matty05

Posted June 02, 2006 - 04:47 AM

the stock muffler is pretty crap really - any decent aftermarket pipe will give you a noticeable increase (not necessarily major, but noticeable), unfortunately sometimes noise is a factor that some of us aren't able to escape. I have a GYT-R pipe and with a little nudge the front wheel will lift in 4th as you describe. Lucky for me the noise of this pipe is of no concern where i ride - probably 98db+ i reckon. There's always areas where you can increase/modify and shift the power around in the rev range but i like to have tractable/predictable power that's fun and controllable in the tight stuff as well as being able to scream on the fire roads. Don't go looking for motocross bike in a WR - if that's your aim then just buy a YZ.
my 2cents ...

Well said.

A decent muffler makes the world of difference. Spend a bit of money here, there are big gains to be had, but dependant on noise.

The GYT-R pipes are awesome, and they are a bit quieter than my procircuit system, but greenies will still cry.

• tenyart

Posted June 02, 2006 - 10:11 PM

Thanks everyone,
I seem to get the idea my bike runs ok. The power is great and easily predictable. I love the bike, but I love to tune every ounce of power I can get as long as it does'nt have any nasty side-effects. So thanks for your feedback, and keep the rubber side down.

Terry

• tenyart

Posted June 02, 2006 - 10:21 PM

Riding down my back-country road I use the front wheel lift as a power indicator when I'm tuning. I do love to ride wheelies!! I just wanted to know how my bike compared. If everybody rolls a wheelie in 4th and 5th, then I've got more work to do.

Thanks for the feedback,
Terry

• bluebike1999

Posted June 02, 2006 - 11:39 PM

you should be able to lift it in 4th no problem, if you are in the range of it's peak power when you pull on the bars. (without a tacho i can only guess that it would be around 6-8000rpm)
i used to only start in 4th when standing on the seat, as its the smoothest gear to balance in.
you can lift it in fifth, but you are physically lifting the bike to balance point instead of just usings its power.

• OlaGB

Posted June 03, 2006 - 01:19 AM

My bike (03 wr) was a little soft in the end (think i should fill the shock with gas again?!), so i just turned both compression screws towards "stiff" on the rear shock to solve the problem for a little while..

This made the bike alot more controllable, and a little more willing to lift the front end..

I know this is a little off topic for you since you have a 06, but i just wanted to tell you that it matters alot how the susp is setup!

My bike lifts on demand in 1-3, and needs a nod in the handles in 4.th.. This with 15/50 gearing.. In 5.th its hard to get it up, unless i stand on the seat with a knee or both feet.. With 14/50 gearing, 5th is like 4th is now.. Almost wondering to go back to 14/50 again, since 1. gear is to high for tight woods with 15/50

• YamahaWR450FMike

Posted June 03, 2006 - 01:28 AM

FMF Powercore is your answer

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • OlaGB

Posted June 03, 2006 - 03:28 AM

remember to buy a silence insert with that ti powercore then.. mine`s killing my ears without earplugs..

• Numskull

Posted June 03, 2006 - 05:28 PM

I thought I was crazy, you guys are just insane to be doing wheelies at 90mph :applause:

but ya, 5th gear isnt gonna give you a power wheelie, your topped out. Although it probally could if traction was better.

• MountainMax

Posted June 03, 2006 - 06:31 PM

A cheaper way is to buy a YZ muffler also, it will perform almost as good as an aftermarket pipe with a fraction of the cost (again if noise is not a concern)

• OlaGB

Posted June 04, 2006 - 12:00 AM

I thought I was crazy, you guys are just insane to be doing wheelies at 90mph :applause:

but ya, 5th gear isnt gonna give you a power wheelie, your topped out. Although it probally could if traction was better.

I usually lift it in 2. or 3.rd, an keep it up in a constant speed in 4th gear around 60mph when i`m doing long wheelies.. But up to 70-80mph isnt so scary at all.. 90 i feel is pushing it.. hehe

at 90mph it gets really hard to keep the front lifted.. You have to stay on the very balance point to stay up, since there is`nt enough power to lift it back up if you let it go forward a little by a tiny mistake..

The hardest ways to wheelie, in my opinion, is low speed wheelies.. constant speed in 1. or 2. gear.. Its hell to keep the balance then hehe..
And reducing speed with the front lifted.. i`ve tried it out a little now, to slow down and downshift when doing wheelies, but i`m getting scared of it so i guess i`ll have to let it be :D Scary to stay beyond balance point when downshifting..

sorry for the off topic

• bluebike1999

Posted June 04, 2006 - 12:25 AM

90mph is pure balance
i would like to think i've touched down well before that, i think the biggest speedo jump i saw was 0-135ks on impact. (front wheel had stopped turning)
that was before speedo died.
hmmm slow mono, now thats skill.
been practising on wifes ttr230, wr really does make things too easy with all the power on tap. have to use rear brake and i've never done that in a mono yet.only just started using the rear brake full stop. wr compression is like a brake and you just let the gas off.
sorry about off topic too, just i topic i love.

• tenyart

Posted June 05, 2006 - 06:49 AM

You guys sound just like me, thanks for you input. These machines are great, and wheelies are a blast. Never hit 90mph though. Usually only ride out 4th if I lucky.

• YamahaWR450FMike

Posted June 05, 2006 - 01:04 PM

remember to buy a silence insert with that ti powercore then.. mine`s killing my ears without earplugs..

really the fmf powercore isn't that loud, just very so slightly louder than the stock pipe.

• snmhanson

Posted June 05, 2006 - 01:06 PM

really the fmf powercore isn't that loud, just very so slightly louder than the stock pipe.

I agree - unless of course you are comparing it to the stock pipe with ther insert still in...

• tenyart

Posted June 07, 2006 - 07:48 PM

I think becuse of buget issues, I will try and find a YZ muffler for cheap. If I come into some extra $$$ I will look into the FMF powercore muffler. Is there really any need to go with a complete exhaust system? I have to think an unrestricted slip-on/bolt-on muffler would spice things up.

L8R :applause:
Terry

• OlaGB

Posted June 07, 2006 - 08:37 PM

I`m not used to 4 strokes, and we have different stock pipes here in europe, but if the Ti Powercore isnt noisy, then i cant understand how people can ride with the REALLY noisy ones on the streets, without getting stopped all the time :applause:

I love the sound, and it doesent bother me other than on long trips, but i get comments from people i meet and neighbours every once in a while, although i try to keep it slow when i ride where they live etc..

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.