Need some help, 650L missing when I get on it

3 replies to this topic
  • cb4004

Posted June 01, 2006 - 05:48 PM

Hello All
I'm a newbie to TT and appreciate you help in advance.

I recently picked up a 94 650L, it's got 7500 mil on it and is in good shape for a 12 year old bike.

I have noticed when I get on the throttle hard it will hick up a little, it doesn't do it if I am going through gears easy only when I really get on it and the RPM are high. Does this sound like dirty jets?

Thank you Tom

• goblin127

Posted June 01, 2006 - 05:56 PM

Could be the jets,but have you checked the air filter?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • radvocaat

Posted June 01, 2006 - 06:07 PM

Hello All
I'm a newbie to TT and appreciate you help in advance.

I recently picked up a 94 650L, it's got 7500 mil on it and is in good shape for a 12 year old bike.

I have noticed when I get on the throttle hard it will hick up a little, it doesn't do it if I am going through gears easy only when I really get on it and the RPM are high. Does this sound like dirty jets?

Thank you Tom

Sounds like a problem I had. I tried everything I could think of, or that my Friends or shop could think of. Even spent $$$ to have the shop clean it as I had a number of times. Finally I borrowed a Friends carb and it ran fine, so I swapped the slide/diaphram and it worked fine. Now it runs great! Not sure what would have caused this, but I'm glad it's gone. I suspect the diaphram had a slight warp to it, since I couldn't find even a small hole. Just over a hundred bucks Canadian for a new slide/diaphram. Had to drill the new one but it works great now. If you have access to another carb, try swap'n the slide. If your diaphram doesn't seal properly, then when you're under full throttle and needing that vacuum the most, it will sputter. Have you checked the valves. Running good fuel?

:applause: good luck

• FOUR STOKED

Posted June 01, 2006 - 10:15 PM

Try a new plug.

Check for vacuum leaks around the carb hoses. They split when they get old where they attach and suck air.

Check for correct fit at the air boot carb junction as it could be sucking non filtered air.

Do the carb mod suggested on here for the L's if you have not already, it could be a jetting problem, and you will eliminate a lot of the vacuum hoses I just suggested checking for splits while getting the jetting closer to correct.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.