Spark Plug Getting Fried?

9 replies to this topic
  • 2coldnpagosa

Posted June 01, 2006 - 05:20 PM

Ok, I have a weird problem that I have never faced before.

My Yz400 used to run great, but for some reason it has been frieng plugs like mad, 2 plugs per ride. (8 hours)

I ran through my electrical and the coils are at the correct omage, but for some reason my plugs are getting fried, not fouling them though.

someone plz help me, i have a race in a week and i cant afford to take it to my local shop, they have ripped me off $600 before.

thanks for the input...

• jimbob69

Posted June 01, 2006 - 05:57 PM

What do you mean by "fried" be more specific.

• 2012 450 xc-w

Posted June 01, 2006 - 06:16 PM

Sorry to hear you have this problem. My brother once had a CR250 that would fry a plug every 2 hours or so. Plug would simply quit sparking and no amount of drying out fuel foul or anything else we ever did would cure this with the exception of installing a new plug. hjope you figure it out.

• tenyart

Posted June 01, 2006 - 07:10 PM

I am no expert, but my guess would have to be excessive cylinder temp. I highly doubt the ignition system (coil and capacitors) would allow excessive amperage burning up the plug. I would richen up the A/F, or try a colder plug. Like I say its only my guess.

• 2coldnpagosa

Posted June 01, 2006 - 08:08 PM

ok, by fried i mean that it wont spark at all, and its not wet it just stops working, i have no idea what to do... could it be the cdi unit?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Fastest1

Posted June 02, 2006 - 05:42 AM

Take a fried plug and run a continuity test on it. It could have somehow melted internally from a too lean condition as implied earlier. If it is that lean, cylinder damage is next.

• Milhaus

Posted June 16, 2006 - 08:27 AM

ok, by fried i mean that it wont spark at all, and its not wet it just stops working, i have no idea what to do... could it be the cdi unit?

Okay...I can't offer any advice at this point other than I am experience the EXACT same damn thing!

I rode last night and the bike would not start so I installed a brand spankin new CR8E and the bike fired first kick. The bike ran like a badass for about 45 minutes and then slowly started running worse and worse. I pulled the plug and it was kinda sooty, but not bad. I wire brushed the plug and it looked nearly brand new again. Installed the plug...the bike would not start. I grabbed another new plug and plugged it into the spark boot and cycled the kick start looking for spark...I saw NONE. I put the plug back into the bike anyway...it fired FIRST KICK! The bike ran like a top for another hour and then started slowly detiorating.

I can only think that the coil is going bad, because during the first 45 minutes the jetting seems SPOT ON. :excuseme:

• Fastest1

Posted June 16, 2006 - 11:32 AM

Okay...I can't offer any advice at this point other than I am experience the EXACT same damn thing!

I rode last night and the bike would not start so I installed a brand spankin new CR8E and the bike fired first kick. The bike ran like a badass for about 45 minutes and then slowly started running worse and worse. I pulled the plug and it was kinda sooty, but not bad. I wire brushed the plug and it looked nearly brand new again. Installed the plug...the bike would not start. I grabbed another new plug and plugged it into the spark boot and cycled the kick start looking for spark...I saw NONE. I put the plug back into the bike anyway...it fired FIRST KICK! The bike ran like a top for another hour and then started slowly detiorating.

I can only think that the coil is going bad, because during the first 45 minutes the jetting seems SPOT ON. :excuseme:

You know when I first got my 426 it would foul/fry a plug and would never start with that plug again no matter how well you cleaned it. I changed a few things that eliminated the condition such as the BK mod and changed my coil to a cap/coil combo from a Hayabusa and never had the problem again. I never thought that the plug could have burnt out but that is what you are describing. I wouldnt think any kind of spike would have harmed a plug,but maybe it can. I never checked continuity on a plug after it failed but was always curious as to why it would never restart with the used plug, I brushed them, filed them, gapped them, chemically cleaned them and no matter what they would never start again til I put a brand new plug in. Maybe it was just the coil after all. I thought the no coil on the frame looked better so I rigged the cap from a Hayabusa just like Tim Ferry had on his bike, though his cap/coil was probably from a R1 :bonk: Have you tried to measure continuity or resistance on a bad plug? Compare it to a new plug and let us know.

• Milhaus

Posted June 16, 2006 - 12:50 PM

That is a really great idea. I am going after the coil tonight and will measure the spark plug resistance too. Since these are Resistor type plugs, does that mean that there is a resistor in them that could break down?

• Fastest1

Posted June 17, 2006 - 06:06 AM

I really dont know. It just seemed like the first place to start. The spark is still getting to the plug it just isnt going thru it. When I was having the problem I never even thought the plug could be physically damaged. If there is a difference in the plugs after they are fried/fouled, I would write/email the manufacturers and ask what might cause that problem. I would have thought somebody on TT might have some more info but hey havent chimed in yet. I would think a plug could stand extreme temperature and electrical changes with no damage.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.