front wheel alignment

3 replies to this topic
  • dirtr1der

Posted June 01, 2006 - 04:56 PM

Looking for advice for aligning my front wheel. Its tweaked out to the left a bit. I tried loosening the fork clamps and steering stem, but I cant get the forks to move. Any advice????

• OneToGo

Posted June 01, 2006 - 09:49 PM

If there is any chance you hit something - if so the fork legs may be bent, professional help required.
If not, then take the wheel off and loosen the fork clamps, rotate them to see if this causes any lower legs displacement - should be true. Tighten back up to spec.
Now, follow this axle and front wheel insertion quick guide.
1. put wheel back on - just nib up the main axle bolt at this time, no others
2. with the front wheel off the ground spin it and clamp the front brake- do this several times to help centre the axle.
3. place wheel back on the ground and pull/push down on fork while holding the front brake, once again to set wheel central.
4. check for correct wheel alignment.
5. If not, then something is bent...
6. if good, tighten the pinch bolts opposite the wheel nut (opposite the disc? to spec).
7. Torque the main wheel nut to spec
8. tighten the pinch bolts on the same side as the axle nut.
9. recheck after a short ride...
:applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • The_Missile

Posted June 01, 2006 - 10:31 PM

Look down the forks when standing & riding....if it looks "twisted" then your forks may have slightly rotated in the clamps. Undo the pinch bolts on the fork clamps and go find yoursef a lamp post or even a wall will do and than just bash the wheel sideways into the post by turing the handlebars sharply. This will cause the whole wheel fork assembly to twist slightly. Look down the fork tubes again and when straight & untwisted tighten the clamp pinch bolts back up. IF that dont solve it then maybe you have more serious damage....

• markvfr

Posted June 02, 2006 - 07:07 AM

If there is any chance you hit something - if so the fork legs may be bent, professional help required.
If not, then take the wheel off and loosen the fork clamps, rotate them to see if this causes any lower legs displacement - should be true. Tighten back up to spec.
Now, follow this axle and front wheel insertion quick guide.
1. put wheel back on - just nib up the main axle bolt at this time, no others
2. with the front wheel off the ground spin it and clamp the front brake- do this several times to help centre the axle.
3. place wheel back on the ground and pull/push down on fork while holding the front brake, once again to set wheel central.
4. check for correct wheel alignment.
5. If not, then something is bent...
6. if good, tighten the pinch bolts opposite the wheel nut (opposite the disc? to spec).
7. Torque the main wheel nut to spec
8. tighten the pinch bolts on the same side as the axle nut.
9. recheck after a short ride...
:applause:

Pretty much follow exactly what OneToGo said. Excellent advice. I had the same problem last week since my wheel was skewed a little to the left. I loosened the lower triple clamp, the axle pinch bolts and the axle bolt and tried to center the wheel by the above method. Well, that didn't work. So, I then took the front wheel off to see if maybe the axle was bent. Well, it wasn't and while the wheel was off a rotated the fork tubes to check for any visible bend. Nada. So, as a final try i loosened both the upper and the lower triple clamps (but not fully so the forks wouldn't drop to the floor), all the pinch bolts, grabbed the wheel between my legs and just very lightly turn the handlebars (you don't want to over torque it and hide a symptom of a possibly bent triple clamp). After that, I tightened everything up to spec and went for a ride. Wheel is now aligned. I didn't have to loosen the steering stem.

If this doesn't work then your triples might be bent and worst case the fork tubes. But unless you took a HUGE spill, thats probably not the case.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

:D

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.