recommendations for a replacement clutch cover

25 replies to this topic
  • markvfr

Posted June 01, 2006 - 02:21 PM

Greetings,

Well, after yesterdays ride and a very minor get-off on a diagonal wet root, I have put a pretty descent dent/hole in my clutch cover with my rear brake lever. The oil is not leaking but I think its pretty close to going all the way through.

Anyone have good recommendations for a more resilient clutch cover and any ideas on protecting it so it doesn't happen again? (I know, don't crash!) :applause:

Thanks.
:D

• Asgeir

Posted June 01, 2006 - 02:57 PM

I bought this one at the Thumpertalk shop, blue colored and fits fine. Made of CNC´d aluminum, should be stronger than the stock magnesium.

https://shop.thumper...ode=PU_09400149

• snappywr

Posted June 02, 2006 - 11:45 AM

You can laugh at this if you want, but if the cover is still in tact use JB WELD.
The new 'quick set' will cure as hard as the cover its self. Saved me last week when a tree limb cracked and almost went thru the same cover. May not look pretty, but it works.

• markvfr

Posted June 02, 2006 - 12:20 PM

You can laugh at this if you want, but if the cover is still in tact use JB WELD.
The new 'quick set' will cure as hard as the cover its self. Saved me last week when a tree limb cracked and almost went thru the same cover. May not look pretty, but it works.

Snappy,

Oh, I'm not laughing... I had JB weld with me on the trail and was pondering if I should patch it up but it wasn't leaking so I made it back to the truck. :applause: Did you have any trouble with it not sticking to the magnesium? Did you rough the surface up a bit?

Agreed it won't look pretty but if it works... who gives a rats a$$. Any ideas for preventing the brake pedal from doing it again?

• nitronaf

Posted June 02, 2006 - 02:25 PM

i have no idea if this is stronger than magnesium but i still want one
http://www.motostran.../stmpoclco.html

• bcs

Posted June 02, 2006 - 04:20 PM

There is a GYT-R billet aluminum clutch cover that looks really nice. look on the yamaha web site under accessories. The gyt-r logo looks cooler than the SFB.

I put a SFB aluminum clutch cover on my DRZ and it is a really top-notch part. I would heartily recommend it.

• ARin

Posted June 02, 2006 - 07:07 PM

i have several friends who have JB'd clutch and case covers. What can i say? the stuff works...and none of them have had any leaks.

• markvfr

Posted June 03, 2006 - 10:07 AM

Awesome. Thanks for the help guys. I'm gonna JB weld it for now and check out the other covers. The GYTR covers looks pretty nice. And that Polymer cover sure looks trick. I wonder how it performs?

:applause:

• ARin

Posted June 03, 2006 - 11:50 AM

if i were you, id make sure i got something less prone to breakage. machined billet AL or the like.

• MountainMax

Posted June 03, 2006 - 06:34 PM

That clear cover is awesome.............

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bcs

Posted June 04, 2006 - 05:19 AM

Just watch...once the supermoto guys get it into their heads that the clear plastic is cooler than titanium, we're gonna see plastic parts all over the bike. Valve covers, ignition covers, who knows...

I can't imagine those things can really stay transparent when they have my boot on one side and the motor oil on the other?

• snappywr

Posted June 06, 2006 - 11:54 AM

I pulled the cover off, cleaned it with carb spray and prep solvent after I used emery cloth to rough up the contact area. It is on there to stay and I have no intention to replace the cover. Preparation is the key....

• bigdrtrdr

Posted June 06, 2006 - 12:54 PM

JB Weld It, Then go to Ebay and do a search for "CFC offroad" and buy a guard for it for about $20.00.
I put the origonal CFC guard for Yamaha on my bike 4 years ago and it takes a beating but its still there.

The TT store jacked the CFC idea from them about a year ago but they only sell them for DRZ/KLXs.

CFC continues to sell there products on there Ebay store. for less than the TT store BTW
Eric

• SJMC_DON

Posted June 06, 2006 - 02:22 PM

JB Weld It, Then go to Ebay and do a search for "CFC offroad" and buy a guard for it for about $20.00.
I put the origonal CFC guard for Yamaha on my bike 4 years ago and it takes a beating but its still there.

The TT store jacked the CFC idea from them about a year ago but they only sell them for DRZ/KLXs.

CFC continues to sell there products on there Ebay store. for less than the TT store BTW
Eric

CFC Guys gave me a cover at the desert 100 a few years ago :applause: Good product, good company...

• markvfr

Posted June 07, 2006 - 05:59 AM

Beauty. Thanks Eric and Don, I'll give CFC a try on Ebay.

:applause:

• 6fiddy

Posted June 07, 2006 - 12:02 PM

I just bought one off ebay for 19$ free shipping CNC machined aluminum. BLING BLING its cool...

• markvfr

Posted June 07, 2006 - 02:29 PM

yep, just ordered mine too. $19 +$3 shipping to Canada! Nice. Looks pretty trick too. :applause:

• 1BLUEsky

Posted June 07, 2006 - 08:04 PM

i have no idea if this is stronger than magnesium but i still want one
http://www.motostran.../stmpoclco.html

That is SUPER BITCHN .Id be scared to trail ride it without a really wide skid plate though :applause:

• spyder8850

Posted June 07, 2006 - 08:08 PM

Speaking of clutch cover, Is there any GYT-R billet cover for WR4 01'model?

• Brian Wilson

Posted June 09, 2006 - 10:43 PM

Rekluse makes some pretty trick covers, and they're a TT sponsor.

http://shop.thumpert...kluse_cover.htm

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.