suspension mods

1 reply to this topic
  • martyxr6

Posted June 01, 2006 - 10:05 AM

Just wanted to know some experienced opinions on improving my tired suspension. I have an '85 xr600r. My questions are:

1. Should I have my rear shock rebuilt or buy a Progressive Suspension 420 series shock?
2. Cartridge emulators vs. Progressive Suspension's dampening rods and progressive springs or "straight rate springs"?
I ride everything, but mostly ride desert trails at speeds avg. between 25-55mph, not a lot of tight stuff.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cleonard

Posted June 01, 2006 - 12:05 PM

1.) Getting the shock rebuilt will be a lot less than a new shock. The new shock may work a lot better though.

2.) The emulators will help a lot. If you go the emulator route, replace the bushings in the forks. I would imagine that they are worn out. I'd say keep the stock springs, unless you want/need a different spring rate. Go with the straight rate springs. For about the same price I bet you could get a set of 91 or later XR600 forks from from ebay. 91 and later XR600's have cartridge forks. Not sure if the 85 front wheel, brakes, etc will work with the 91 and later forks.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.