Has anyone tried a step seat?

9 replies to this topic
  • Gcarey

Posted June 01, 2006 - 03:39 AM

Was wondering if anyone could give me some feed back on a step seat? Thinking of getting one for my 06 450f

• mlight9

Posted June 01, 2006 - 06:46 AM

I got one on the way should have it by the weekend. The reason I got one is I'm 6'3" and have long arms and I'm hoping it will help me stay forward and in the proper riding position. When I get tired I find myself sliding clear to the back of the seat. So I figure I would save a lot of energy if I wasn't constantly pulling myself forward from the beginning . Some days I wish I was 5'8" and the bikes fit me like a glove.

• aedwards07

Posted June 01, 2006 - 06:52 AM

I just put one on my 450.I have the one from guts racing that includes the foam step and the all black seat cover.I am 6'2" and I absolutely love it.Just make sure you put it in the right spot on the seat.Basically in the directions that come from Guts Racing there are 2 main methods.THe first one is that you put the whole step on, but that wouldnt work for me because my knees would be killing be.The second method(that i used)was to sit in a normal riding position and slide the step right behind you, and throw some duct tape on it on mark where you want it.Then stick the step on and you cut and sand the excess off.It may sound confusing but it was really easy.

It was by far the second best mod I did to my 450(first being suspension).

• Reyndogg

Posted June 01, 2006 - 07:03 AM

i have been wanting to try one, but only interested in a bolt on seat - not the kit from guts or the like

• mlight9

Posted June 01, 2006 - 07:21 AM

I called SDG and asked about a step seat kit, they said it would be late summer before they have one for our bikes. They have one for a Honda already, but nobody else.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • black_n_blue_thumper

Posted June 01, 2006 - 08:14 PM

I make my own out of the stocker. It helps reduce seat hieght as I am short and fat plus keeps me planted on the seat well. It is very easy to do and much cheaper than buying one. :applause:

• ben_suhard

Posted June 03, 2006 - 09:03 AM

Was wondering if anyone could give me some feed back on a step seat? Thinking of getting one for my 06 450f

Yeah, they work well. I haven't done it to my YZ450 yet, I'm not sure if I'll add foam to the back or cut the front out, but it worked well on my KTM525. It's great for racing, but it made it more difficult to do wheelies coz I was used to sitting more rearward.

• Satch0922

Posted June 03, 2006 - 11:15 AM

check this thread out on how to make your own....

http://www.thumperta...11&parentpage=4

• kid on a 426

Posted June 03, 2006 - 08:30 PM

http://bikepics.com/pictures/602025/ This is on my brother's bike. The guy we bought it from said he brought the seat into an upholstery shop and they shaved it down and put in the little dip. It's really nice for shorter people or even not shorter people who like to touch the ground better. It's the only part on his bike I wish I had.

• RCannon

Posted June 04, 2006 - 05:15 AM

I was afraid to make my own, but I ended up going fo rit. The hardest part was finding the foam. It sands easy with 80 grit paper.

People worry about gluing the foam on as if it will come loose. I accidentally glued the piece on in the wrong spot on try 1. The glue joint is far stronger than the foam. I used 3m adhesive. The yellow gorilla snot.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.