prevent stealing.

15 replies to this topic
  • BIGchiefKODIAK

Posted May 31, 2006 - 10:04 PM

I was wondering, is there any kind of kill switch that i could install on the wr so you have to have a remote to start it? Since i will somtimes be leaving it in the parking lot. :applause:

• Thumper_Bloke

Posted May 31, 2006 - 10:31 PM

I just installed a key switch on mine, but i still wont feel comfortable with it in a parking lot without a chain around it. Even then... if a thief wants it, they will cut the lock. My buddy just had his R1 stolen in the middle of the day, with 2 chains on it.

• BIGchiefKODIAK

Posted May 31, 2006 - 10:32 PM

Mind telling me where you got it from?

• Thumper_Bloke

Posted May 31, 2006 - 10:53 PM

Yeah, i will even take pictures because i'm so geeked about my little bracket i made LOL. I will have to post the pic tomorrow.

Here's a link to the exact key switch i used... there's many more like it too (i used "yamaha key switch" in the search field). It even comes with 2 keys!

http://tinyurl.com/nfpuh

• simon@vic

Posted May 31, 2006 - 10:56 PM

put a large cable lock through the wheel!!!

• BIGchiefKODIAK

Posted May 31, 2006 - 11:02 PM

that is great. thank you..

• nitronaf

Posted May 31, 2006 - 11:34 PM

i work as a doormen at quite a few pubs/nightclubs so theft of my baby is always on my mind
my bike has a keyed ignition stock (theres a pic of it somewhere on here)
and i use one of these http://www.lockitt.c...enasecurity.htm
super loud pretty sensitive, good piece of mind. wouldnt mind a big arse chain tho
nowadays i use a motorcycle cover aswell (avoiding parket officers mwahaha) and have noticed very few ppls even look at the thing with its cover on

• Thumper_Bloke

Posted June 01, 2006 - 10:25 AM

Here's a pic of my key installed.
It's on the side of my US 2004, because i did not remove or relocate the factory push-button ON/OFF/LED.

Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BIGchiefKODIAK

Posted June 01, 2006 - 12:04 PM

that is a nicely mad bracket. aluminum?

• spick

Posted June 01, 2006 - 12:45 PM

So you have both the ignition and the on/off switch wired in? How did you accomplish that?

Do you always carry both keys on the ring? :applause:

• Thumper_Bloke

Posted June 01, 2006 - 01:33 PM

Bracket is aluminum (we have a Bridgeport mill here at the shop), the switch is wired in series with the original ON/OFF push button switch, and no, i just got the key switch mounted and havent taken the spare off :applause:

• MountainMax

Posted June 01, 2006 - 04:36 PM

I too removed the factory power switch and put on a factory ignition from a dual purpose bike, came with nut, cover, ignition and 2 keys (i took my spare off too) and just swapped position and connectors, works great, i don't know if it will keep someone from stealing it but it's a start.Posted Image

• Thumper_Bloke

Posted June 01, 2006 - 04:46 PM

Nice work. :applause: I think that's the way they should come factory.

• MountainMax

Posted June 01, 2006 - 06:54 PM

Thanks, It was an easy mod to do,

• windaddiction

Posted June 01, 2006 - 07:12 PM

screw it get theft on ur biek and dont worry, I'll sometimes put my disck lock on but man if I'm not near my biek it's locked in my garage. It also helps I work on a military base. low theft there!

• BIGchiefKODIAK

Posted June 01, 2006 - 09:56 PM

THANKS GUYS. I will get the keys and the disc alarm will prevent well. I am not going to leave in lot all by itself but i do not want to chance at all.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.