A Lot Of Problems

10 replies to this topic
  • NOPARWR400

Posted May 31, 2006 - 04:02 PM

I Got A Stock 99 Wr400f As A Wedding Gift. It Was My Father In Laws Bike He Put Maybe 30 Hours On It.parked It Left Gas,oil Everything In It For About A Year In His Garage.so When I Got It
I Had All The Gaskets Replaced In The Carb And The Bike Gone Through.electrical Everything Seems Fine,but Bike Continues To Foul Plugs ,wants Too Run Hot,and Hardly Ever Kick Starts But Push Starts Fine,it Has Me And My Mechanic Boggled.so We Figure If Anybody Can Help It Is The Guys At Thumper Talk!so Please Reply Back And Help Too Mind Boggled Throttle Junkies

• briter

Posted May 31, 2006 - 04:13 PM

Have you looked at the valves. Valves that are too tight could cause the symptoms that you describe..Just a thought.

• NOPARWR400

Posted May 31, 2006 - 06:22 PM

Valves Are Fine Set To Stock Specks, Thats What We Cant Figure Out!thanks For The Advice Though

• creeky

Posted May 31, 2006 - 07:15 PM

How does it run once it is started?

• ARin

Posted May 31, 2006 - 07:21 PM

you didnt mention anything about the jetting.
i assume that you drained out the old gas.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SJMC_DON

Posted June 01, 2006 - 05:55 AM

The fact that you can push start a 99' is a little concerning :D Unless your tricky with the decomp lever this is nearly impossible based on the amount of compression the motor should have.

You say the bike fouls plugs but yet runs hot :applause: These are contradictory in a sense........... If the bike runs hot just sitting still in your shop then that would be typical of a WR.

Maybe your decomp valve is stuck partially open........

Maybe do a compression test?

Let us know what you find, good luck! Either way, you have a pretty cool father in-law :prof:

• NOPARWR400

Posted June 01, 2006 - 03:10 PM

Jetting Is Fine ,yes The Gas Was Drained I Actually Replaced The Gas Tank,the Bike Runs Fine Once Started,and I Was Just Reading That Wr's Were Bad About Running Hot While Idling So I Guess That Solves That.but My Main Problem Is Fouling Plugs And Not Kick Starting.jumpstarting Is A Breeze Just Push Pull In The Decomp And Hit Second And It Fires Right Up,and It Runs Perfe

• NOPARWR400

Posted June 01, 2006 - 03:13 PM

And Yes Father In Law Is Awesome

• Numskull

Posted June 01, 2006 - 04:33 PM

What makes you think the plug is fouled? And do you know the starting drill for this bike?

These bikes really dont foul plugs, but do get flooded. Dont twist the throttle at all as it has an acelerator pump and will flood immediatly.

And what makes you think its running hot?

• bluebike1999

Posted June 01, 2006 - 10:49 PM

so did you get any tools and stuff with the wife/bike package?

no seriously, my 400 used to foul plugs but i bought an Iridium one and have had no trouble since. used 4 in less than 2000ks.......

• wakin

Posted June 02, 2006 - 09:10 AM

What makes you think the plug is fouled? And do you know the starting drill for this bike?

These bikes really dont foul plugs, but do get flooded. Dont twist the throttle at all as it has an acelerator pump and will flood immediatly.

And what makes you think its running hot?

This is what I was thinking.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.