handle bar suggestions

15 replies to this topic
  • elcamino76

Posted May 31, 2006 - 12:03 PM

i will be replacing my stock upper triple clamp on my yz 450 with the pro taper with 1 1/8 bar mounts. what bars do you guys think will be the best or that you are very pleased with? thanks

• Idaho_Stas

Posted May 31, 2006 - 12:26 PM

ProTaper -- Windham bend :applause: :D :prof:

• Matt96xr6

Posted May 31, 2006 - 01:01 PM

windham is really nice bend.

the CR high is the "universal" bend that most everyone likes. If you are taller, get the windham.

• xnofriendsx

Posted May 31, 2006 - 01:25 PM

I am 6ft 4in and i use the Renthal Fatbar RC High (114mm). I dropped my pegs (1/2in) with the foot peg mod and have 10mm bar risers as well. I finally feel comfortable. My bro calls them monkey bars, but if i stand up on the bike i don't feel like i am flying over the bars now. With my last set of Renthal Twinwall Windham (92mm), i was way over the front of the bike.

• elcamino76

Posted May 31, 2006 - 01:49 PM

yeah, im 6'5-6'6 so it looks like ill go with the windham or rc high, thanks guys.

• Reyndogg

Posted May 31, 2006 - 01:50 PM

buy what bar bend feels good to you, not what someone else on the forum likes or uses.

as far as bar brand, i definitely prefer the protaper bars.

• elcamino76

Posted May 31, 2006 - 02:03 PM

when you say "buy what feels good to you" you mean go to the dealership and hold the bars to see what feel best???

Posted May 31, 2006 - 02:27 PM

Bar feel varies heavily depending on the rider and their specs. If you are a tall person, the CR High, YZ High, and Pastrana High are all great bar bend choices. You can't really go wrong with either one of those. If you are of a short stature, I'd reccomend the lowest bend made...the Carmichael bend. If you've seen it, it's almost flat. All of these are made by Pro Taper.

Any of the normal bends like Windham, Henry, Stewart, etc. are all meant for people of average stature. If the signage doesn't say high or low, then it's meant for the average guy.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • elcamino76

Posted May 31, 2006 - 02:31 PM

excellent, that last one was very help full, not that the others wernt, but now i know i need a bar designated with a high bend. and ill probably be goin pro taper. thanks

• bruntz505

Posted May 31, 2006 - 05:05 PM

I like the Henry/Reed bend personally.

• Alex_YZ450F

Posted June 02, 2006 - 03:44 PM

I am 6'2'' and I really like the Pro Taper Windam Bend on my 06'.

• 642MX

Posted June 02, 2006 - 06:21 PM

I use Pro Tapers, YZ high bend. :applause:

• Blue4Ever

Posted June 02, 2006 - 07:07 PM

Try going into protaper.com and go to the handle bar section and open the part#/pricing guide. It will have all there bars list w/all the specs such as pullback, width and heigth. Then find someone w/the bars on a bike to get a good feel. Hope this helps!!

• elcamino76

Posted June 03, 2006 - 06:45 AM

yeah thanks i will have to do that

• Drfletcherdc

Posted June 03, 2006 - 06:49 AM

Pro Taper Windham bend works best for me.

• crfmatt

Posted June 03, 2006 - 10:34 AM

What about TAG bars, t2 or x5 with the yz double high? (for tall people that is) :applause:

Related Content

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  57 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.