chain and sprocket replacement time!

9 replies to this topic
  • elcamino76

Posted May 31, 2006 - 07:04 AM

it is time to replace the sprocket(s) on my 03 yz 450. right now it has an o-ring chain with a 14/50 set up. the rear sprocket is showing wear but the front seems ok. i probably will go back to the stock gearing (14/48 right??) which means a new chain as well. so my question is: what would be the best way to go, is it ok to change just the rear or should i change both? what is the best sprockets/ chain to go with, without emptying my pockets?? thanks.

• Ga426owner

Posted May 31, 2006 - 12:30 PM

This totally depends on your riding style and what terrain you ride. On my 03 the 14/47 is the way to go for MX.....You get a lot more use out of 4 gears .... :applause: And it makes you faster .......
I only buy Ironman Sprokets and DID or Regina non oring chains

• elcamino76

Posted May 31, 2006 - 01:56 PM

so the lower the number of teeth on the back will speed it up and more will slow it down, am i right??

• elcamino76

Posted May 31, 2006 - 01:58 PM

is it necessary to change both front and rear sprokets at the same time. becasue my front isnt bad.

Posted May 31, 2006 - 02:31 PM

Change both, with a new chain, or else you'll wear everything a lot faster.

I reccomend Tag or Renthal sprockets with a D.I.D. chain.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bruntz505

Posted May 31, 2006 - 05:09 PM

DID ERT chain and AFAM sprockets.14/48 gearing.ERT is a non-oring chain.If you want to save money,buy steel sprockets,don't skimp on the chain.
**If you want your chain to last,replace the swingarm rub plate,rollers,and rub block by the rear sprocket.On a YZF,if the rub block insert is worn,your chain will always appear to be loose,causing you to overadjust your chain.

• grayracer513

Posted May 31, 2006 - 06:33 PM

You can get a Regina ORN chain that will last two years (mine far) for about $70. Tag (by AFAM) rear sprockets at $60 or so will last much longer than any Renthals I've used. Tag fronts are also great, but there's more parity among front cogs than rears. When you buy the right stuff, it's worth the price.

• One Louder

Posted May 31, 2006 - 09:28 PM

so the lower the number of teeth on the back will speed it up and more will slow it down, am i right??

yes you are correct. Smaller # of teeth in the rear = higher speed. Lower # of teeth = more acceleration

• grayracer513

Posted May 31, 2006 - 09:40 PM

Perhaps a more noticeable effect is that a larger rear sprocket and the resulting lower gear ratio will make your transmission ratios seem closer spaced. A smaller rear sprocket and the resulting high gear ratio will give you a wider spread between gears.

I run a 15/49, which is numerically the same as a 14/46. The advantage is that the chain clears the swing arm better with the 49 (and it wasn't a special order item), and it allows me to switch to a 14/49 for tight tracks or trail areas.

• ncmountainman

Posted June 01, 2006 - 05:37 AM

as far as chains go i agree with gray on the regina ORN,they last better than the DID and krause sidewinder (krause was way overpriced!) BUT,i recently stumbled across a parts unlimited chain x-ring(offered under their own name) that is made by EK and is the same chain as what EK offers as their x-ring($30 more) its $61.95 thru dennis kirk and the TT store should be able to beat that. i've not yet installed it but it is of better quality as far as looks and feel and the side plates and pins are also noticeably larger. anyone have any experience with EK?,i did a search and didn't find much. anyway i thought this was quite a deal and just wanted to share the info :applause: as far as sprockets i've used every trick sprocket under the sun and all it left me was broke,the last time i just went with sunstar steel. they really don't weigh that much more and are under $50 front and rear. i can change them out 3 times for the cost of one sidewinder tri-metal(which only lasted one season)

Related Content

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.