Fork offset question

9 replies to this topic
  • rmhrc630

Posted May 30, 2006 - 11:00 PM

OK I need some gurus here to help me...

The bike in question is a 2000 model XR628 with estart being fitted, large ims tank - 4 gal etc etc.

http://i26.photobuck...k2/133_3301.jpg

I am going to fit an entire CRF450R front end to it. (I know people dont alwasy like them but I do)

It will be all oem Honda CRF450R parts - forks, wheel, brakes, and clamps etc.

Can you gurus out there advise me on the offset size I should be aiming at given the XR is a long distance trail bike?

I'm referring to the various years offsets and triple clamps available for the CRF450R.

My initial intention was to fit up 2004 forks - 24mm offset and apparently the best fork ever made.

Can you guys advise on what size offset I should go for? For example should I aim at 2006 model forks for example?

• Potts228

Posted June 01, 2006 - 06:41 PM

The bike in question is a 2000 model XR628 with estart being fitted, large ims tank - 4 gal etc etc.

I am going to fit an entire CRF450R front end to it. (I know people dont alwasy like them but I do)

Can you gurus out there advise me on the offset size I should be aiming at given the XR is a long distance trail bike?

I'm referring to the various years offsets and triple clamps available for the CRF450R.

My initial intention was to fit up 2004 forks - 24mm offset and apparently the best fork ever made.

Can you guys advise on what size offset I should go for? For example should I aim at 2006 model forks for example?

Not sure what you mean when you say the 04' CRF450 fork is the best ever made but as far as performance, the 06' is much better stock than the 04'.

• rmhrc630

Posted June 01, 2006 - 08:00 PM

thanks for a relevant answer troll

• weskc35k

Posted June 02, 2006 - 02:19 AM

Man just graft it on the way it is,don't mess with it.
Get it on get it up and get it going HRC.
It will be an improvement all round just by being a modern front end on the old girl.
If you haven't run out of moola on the USD,source a quality rear shock for old betsy if you can.
It should balance her out a bit
Revalve and spring it she should haul the mail.
The stock xr6 front has always been average at best the twin chamber front USD at 24 degree offset will be bitchen.

• atkxr600

Posted June 02, 2006 - 03:12 AM

I know this doesn't really pertain to your question, but I am curious about how the "E" Start conversion will be accomplished. I've done a little research on this issue, but came up blank. Is it as simple as fitting some of the XL pieces?

As far as the fork conversion, I fitted the complete front end from a CR250 on mine. It was 1991 CR, so the forks aren't the lastest and greatest, but I think they will still be an upgrade over the stock non-cartrigde XR legs.

I did not do any offset, I made a stepped sleeve that would allow me to press the XR stem into the CR lower clamp, then used the XR bearings.

I've read on some of these swaps, the stem length vs overall clamp hieght can be an issue. Not so on mine, once I had the XR stem in the CR lower clamp, it was a direct bolt on.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • weskc35k

Posted June 02, 2006 - 03:54 AM

ATK we put Some Marzocchi Magnum's from a parted out 95 or 96 KTM 500 mx on an xr6 it worked a treat.

• ghoti

Posted June 02, 2006 - 04:54 AM

I love your bike, but I have to ask why would you put that much money into it? I'm guessing the CRF450R would be at least equal if not better in performance.

• rmhrc630

Posted June 02, 2006 - 05:45 PM

Man just graft it on the way it is,don't mess with it.
Get it on get it up and get it going HRC.
It will be an improvement all round just by being a modern front end on the old girl.
If you haven't run out of moola on the USD,source a quality rear shock for old betsy if you can.
It should balance her out a bit
Revalve and spring it she should haul the mail.
The stock xr6 front has always been average at best the twin chamber front USD at 24 degree offset will be bitchen.

I've already started the process and decided on 2004 CRF450R forks. Putting a brand new black excel rim on oem hub with braking 270mm disk. I'm running full 450R brakes and since the 07 CRf450R is out I have just read the spec sheet on that - they say the 2007 master cyclinder is 15% more powerful so that will help even more on the 628.

I know this doesn't really pertain to your question, but I am curious about how the "E" Start conversion will be accomplished. I've done a little research on this issue, but came up blank. Is it as simple as fitting some of the XL pieces?

As far as the fork conversion, I fitted the complete front end from a CR250 on mine. It was 1991 CR, so the forks aren't the lastest and greatest, but I think they will still be an upgrade over the stock non-cartrigde XR legs.

I did not do any offset, I made a stepped sleeve that would allow me to press the XR stem into the CR lower clamp, then used the XR bearings.

I've read on some of these swaps, the stem length vs overall clamp hieght can be an issue. Not so on mine, once I had the XR stem in the CR lower clamp, it was a direct bolt on.

E start has been a royal pain to the 600/628R. I have done hours of research and finally succeeded.

Can I say it's as simple as fitting a Honda catalogue to your bike. I have bought new all oem parts from my Honda dealer:

CRF450X battery (mega light and powerful)
200-250 watt stator rewind - dual circuit. (betta bikes SA) plus complete wire into the XR600R wiring system.
CRF450X Aussie starter switch
XR650L starter motor,stator cover, gears, starter clutch, bearings, wiring, clutch arm etc,
XL600RMG complete brand new crankshaft (which only cost me $700 aussie)
What else?

Basically my HRC engine is almost brand new ( my XR has only done 1800km in it's entire life).

I have only just this week matched up the starter clutch to the 600RMG crankshaft. It all works!!! Man I could talk about the matchups all day so pm me if you want all answers on fitting estart. My mechanic is pulling my motor down (even though it is new I want estart bad) and in about 3 months I should be electric (as well as kick)

I am also fitting a FCR 41mm and am trying to determine and decide between a MX model or the classic FCR.

I love your bike, but I have to ask why would you put that much money into it? I'm guessing the CRF450R would be at least equal if not better in performance.

I actually have both!!! I offroaded a 2004 450R and it is a beast!!! It pulls as hard as the worked 628 but it aint no long distance machine.

I also do not want a bike that someone else has so I kinda made my own in a way!!

http://i26.photobuck...k2/135_3531.jpg
In the end I'll have what I reckon Honda should have made in the 90s:
2000 model XR600 with full HRC engine, setrab coolers, XRP lines etc etc
Electric start
FCR41mm carb
2004 CRF450R front end forks and brakes for superior braking.
IMS 17 litre tank.
Ceet hard seat foam with oem 650l seat cover and base.
55watt QH lighting with power to spare for gps etc.
Reliable big stroker motor that goes all day.

I also have the 450R and that is just hell fun.

http://i26.photobuck...k2/136_3634.jpg

• weskc35k

Posted June 02, 2006 - 06:35 PM

Big fin head and oil cooler might help.

• rmhrc630

Posted June 02, 2006 - 06:44 PM

Big fin head and oil cooler might help.

setrab + XRP = cool XR

http://i26.photobuck...132_3212_r1.jpg

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.